Thread: New Coal Chamber record and modern heavy sound

Highway to Hell is for Children Allen Bean to the Moon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,337
    Rep Power 536871215

Default New Coal Chamber record and modern heavy sound

Well, I always had soft spot for Coal Chamber. They're kind of strange for me, on one side is pretty straightforward and dumb (the cliche "nu-metal") but lyrical and gothic on the same time. Anyway, that's not what I want to comment on.
    They have a new record out, and while it's definitely them and some songs are cool it left me disappointed sonically.

Their first record... well just check this:

a prime example of great raw and ballsy guitar tone for me.

Their second one is overall great sounding IMO, I like drum tone a lot

Their third is a bit flat sounding to me, but the guitar tone is brutal

And now this is new:

Is it me or guitar just sounds bland? And it's not just them, almost no heavy records left me impressed with the guitar tone. There were some which were aggressive, but they were just noisy. Ones which felt controlled always felt bland. Where did that raw but controlled aggression gone? What's that? Budgetary limitations?
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 922
    Rep Power 536870968

Default Re: New Coal Chamber record and modern heavy sound

I got to see them at an awesome Halloween show way back in 98/99 time frame. It was good.

At first it was the bass that seemed different. There's a strong low end on that first album. Those guys, Sevendust, Deftones... they all had really beefy bass parts.
    If I listen to Sway vs Light in the Shadows, I hear a difference in the low end, not the guitars as much.
    But as I listened to a song from the self titled album and the new album, the more I started to hear mostly the same sounds/styles.

It will be hard for me to divorce myself from the good times I had listening to that first album and compare it to the new on. I'm like 15 years different a person. So it doesn't have the same emotional impact.

Sonic, I more similar things than different ... Bad Blood Between Us could probably be tucked into the first album and it would fit fine.

I'm glad to see them put out another album.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,353
    Rep Power 536871116

I think my favorite Coal Chamber moment was watching Ono CroMag(RIP) stop the singer of Fury of Five from beating the drummer of CC to death backstage at Dynamo in Eindhoven in the late 90's.

Ahh me.

Good times.

Anyhoo. I don't like the drum sounds on ANY of these records. In a way, they get steadily WORSE with each ensuing record. Just more and more "tupperware in a parking garage" turn of the Century Roadrunner nonsense...

But you sure can STILL tell the one's that were recorded in legit studios and fucked up in mix, as opposed to the one's that come out of a sample pack.

CC guitar sounds have always been uniformly and lucidly presented "nu-metal" stuff. Always BETTER than the riffing, as far as I'm concerned.

On topic. The new record sounds like it was made ENTIRELY in/by a computer.

Funny... I liked them better when the robots were only THREATENING to take over the Death Star.

Who woulda thunk?

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Never made a record...music forum mod!
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Columbus OH
    Posts 482
    Rep Power 536870989

Sounds to me like the guitar is a little buried under the drums and vocals in the new one.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Never made a record...music forum mod!
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Columbus OH
    Posts 482
    Rep Power 536870989

Funny... I liked them better when the robots were only THREATENING to take over the Death Star.

Who woulda thunk?

SM.
    Do you think that sound came from a fake amplifier even? I mean, its not an earthshaking tone by any means, but if it's fake, fake has come a long way since the last time I tried to mix it.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,353
    Rep Power 536871116

Sounds to me like the guitar is just a little buried under the drums and vocals in the new one.
    Listen on a laptop. There is NO total center in the guitars.

That is: It is extremely difficult to distinguish the struck pitches in the riffs.

Typical "guitar midrange management by omission BS".

The fact that this was EVER "cool" has baffled me ever since I heard Scott Ian's rig at Pyramid in 1985.

I thought it was DREADFUL.

Everybody else thought it was "Brutal maannnn".

Sigh.

Brutal on the ears. That's for certain.

Spent my entire career battling against various flavors of that shit.

A losing battle I might add.

Totally got my ass kicked.

HOHOHO, but I really DID get my ass kicked.

Ohh God.

I shoulda just went with it.

Really wish I had. Things woulda went better for me.

Maybe.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

SM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,353
    Rep Power 536871116

Do you think that sound came from a fake amplifier even? I mean, its not an earthshaking tone by any means, but if it's fake, fake has come a long way since the last time I tried to mix it.
    Ohh... I dunno. I'd hafta get the Grado's out.

Fuck that... I'm in St. Martin on the laptop.

I'm too lazy and ambivalent to even bother to get the fucking earbuds plugged in.

HOHOHO. But true.

Anyhoo. I'll take your word for it. All good.

SM.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

How do you decide to be ambivalent or not? Just asking.
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Columbus OH
    Posts 482
    Rep Power 536870989

I tracked and mixed a record last year where the guitar player INSISTED that his tone was BADASS.

It was a modeling amp.

I tried for as long as he would let me (maybe an hour?) but could not find a place to put a microphone that I didn't absolutely hate. The guitar player loved it.

Then I mixed the record, spending 75% of my time on it trying to get that guitar to not suck somehow. I never succeeded, and I can't stand to listen to it to this day. The band allegedly loves it, everyone's happy.

All I'm saying is this CC tone we're talking about is way better than that was.

But that wasn't even a "heavy" band really.

Even with real amps I've had some pretty stupid moments. There was the Christian metal band whose singer (a youth minister) stiffed me for $500 and whose guitar player - upon receiving my advice to back off the gain and the bass so as to allow some midrange clarity - walked over to his (actually my Mesa Rectifier, because he had brought a line 6 modeling amp to the session) amp and FAKED turning the knobs.

I wish the hell those idiots believed in was real sometimes...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,337
    Rep Power 536871215

Anyhoo. I don't like the drum sounds on ANY of these records. In a way, they get steadily WORSE with each ensuing record. Just more and more "tupperware in a parking garage" turn of the Century Roadrunner nonsense...
    I kinda like drum tone on Chamber Music. Although snare could be a little louder... um... like 10dB louder

Yeah.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Columbus OH
    Posts 482
    Rep Power 536870989

I just listened again, and I concur with your assessment of the guitar tones - the first and third being relatively cool and the final one a little plasticky (maybe some sort of emulation as Slipperman implied, maybe an Axe-FX, which may be a little better than the others...)

Except I really hate the second one - just my taste, it was certainly intended to sound obnoxious.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,337
    Rep Power 536871215

What puzzles me, is that a lot of bands seem to prefer this type of tone. Even in cases when budget should not be that big of a problem.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,744
    Rep Power 536871394

What puzzles me, is that a lot of bands seem to prefer this type of tone. Even in cases when budget should not be that big of a problem.
    They think they're being "modern". Spend some time on the guitar forum at The Purple Place - you'll understand.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Columbus OH
    Posts 482
    Rep Power 536870989

Or maybe decisions are made when people are in a hurry. I know that accounts for a lot of less than stellar sounds in my history.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,744
    Rep Power 536871394

Or maybe decisions are made when people are in a hurry. I know that accounts for a lot of less than stellar sounds in my history.
    Or, OTOH, made as a result of somebody overthinking it to death.....

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

The overall sonic presentation reminds me a bit of some of the earlier Korn stuff: Drums are bone dry with that cracky snare, guitars hard panned and sort of sludgy/indistinct, bass clicky, vocals also bone dry and up front.

[EDIT: I realized I didn't read the OP carefully enough: I was referencing the topmost video. Now I get what Meloco was driving at, and I agree.]

And regardless of some shortcomings, I think American metal productions still seem to yield the most unique and interesting sounds. European (especially Swedish) current metal releases, by contrast, are often more "fake" sounding. You can sometimes tell exactly which sample library and which modeling amps were used.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Surfing the net at work every day! Waterbrother
    Join Date May 2009
    Posts 314
    Rep Power 536871017

I see your Coal Chamber and I raise you Labyrinth, by Fleshgod Apocalypse.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871392

Typical "guitar midrange management by omission BS".

The fact that this was EVER "cool" has baffled me ever since I heard Scott Ian's rig at Pyramid in 1985.

I thought it was DREADFUL.
    I"m so with you

it continues to fascinate me that this, what is ostensibly the most 'rebellious' and anti-establishment of music types, stuff is probably the most conformist and afraid to be sonically adventurous of any 'genre'.

it's like they all have to put on the same sonic school uniform

the fact that it's an ugly uniform doesn't help
    Last edited by weedywet; May 24th, 2015 at 09:14 PM.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,744
    Rep Power 536871394

I"m so with you

it continues to fascinate me that this, what is ostensibly the most 'rebellious' and anti-establishment of music types, stuff is probably the most conformist and afraid to be sonically unadventurous of any 'genre'.

it's like they all have to put on the same sonic school uniform

the fact that it's an ugly uniform doesn't help
    Er, you meant to say "afraid to be sonically adventurous ", right?

Or perhaps "the most conformist and sonically unadventurous"?

What's the best modeling amp for rebellious metal?

Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Clearly a line 6. No debate.

I haven't worked with a (I NEED TO USE THIS PIECE OF SHIT BECAUSE IT'S MINE AND I'M THE BEST) band in a while now. I'm probably due....... But I think I've become very good at getting people to use gear that's not their own, where it's necessary. I think that coincides with me getting better/recognizable gear around for them to chose from.

Side note:
    "Perfect" performances. Like computer perfect, seem to lack emotional import. I don't think I'm alone in thinking this.
    I'm a fan of cheese!