Thread: lets talk about mesa cabs

Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871089

Default Re: lets talk about mesa cabs

On the bright side you could use them as 4x12 bass cabs if you wanted. They would work better as clean-sound bass cabs and give you more low extension. Doesn't make them a go-to for bass cabs but I'm surprised this hasn't come up. I certainly haven't tried it. Are they also horrible as bass cabs?
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

awful

in the same ways.
    a Hiwatt 4x12 is a fine bass cab, Mesa is not.

some of the Mesa 1x15 or 2x15 cabs for bass aren't awful.
    but they're not great either.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871118

I wonder if my disliking the Orange cabs is due to the same phenomenon. I have always heard them as excessively fizzy.
    otek
    Same thing.

Heavy as fuck.

Should sound great.

Sound like cock and balls.

Had some guy from a stoner band get seriously angry at a staff member over this.

We gave him the old "lets track one of your cab and one of the Marshall and see how that sounds".

Followed by the old, "Hey, can't hurt to just check a PAIR of Marshall against what we got with one each of the Orange and Marshall".

End of game.

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

What is the major difference of the original mesa heads?
    I couldn't tell you exactly what goes on under the hood, but the second revision added the "solo boost" function and a few other doodads. They sound radically different, to my ears. Much trashier, sort of a "broken" quality to the distortion that I don't care for at all. The original design is what you hear on e.g. the Dogman album by King's X. The 2010 revamp sounds a little better to me than the 1997-8(?) one. But the original is still better in my opinion.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,385
    Rep Power 536871101

I couldn't tell you exactly what goes on under the hood, but the second revision added the "solo boost" function and a few other doodads. They sound radically different, to my ears. Much trashier, sort of a "broken" quality to the distortion that I don't care for at all. The original design is what you hear on e.g. the Dogman album by King's X. The 2010 revamp sounds a little better to me than the 1997-8(?) one. But the original is still better in my opinion.

otek
    I had a late nineties model Dual Rec and I have to agree. Our later model Triple Rec sounded horrible by comparison. Could never get a decent sound out of it.

I actually turned my back on all things Mesa Rectifier. Decided they just weren't the amp for me. Clean channel generally sucked to the point of being unusable. The orange channel was a mediocre crunch and the only channel ever worth using was the red. So you had all these "tone" options but it was essentially a one trick pony.

Now I have my Laney GH100L through my '73 Marshall cab and I never looked back. Single channel lead head with a gain boost and creamy 55Hz Creamback goodness.

That Laney can give me way more tones to work with than the Mesa ever did.

Haven't heard a lot of their other amps but I pretty much think at this point most of their amps - to use weedy's highly technical analogy - blow.

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

What is the major difference of the original mesa heads?
    Download the schematics.

I really don't intend to be snarky, but........... really...........
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

otek
    I've tried researching this before, but it always confuses me. AFAIK they made several revisions to the older 2 channel versions before coming out with the 3 channel version - which I thought was when the "solo boost" was added. It seems like what you are calling the "original version" is the 2 channel version, but I've heard they can sound pretty different too, with some people claiming the first 500 or so are the best, etc...****

Oh well, thanks for the info. I'll check out the King's X album, I don't know it.****
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

FWIW I opened up my dual rectifier, I have a Rev G from 1996. Does this qualify as a "good" one? I guess I've never heard any of the newer ones to compare.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Posts 567
    Rep Power 536871024

i never cared for the 4 x 12s I use to have a couple of 2 x 12s that were closed back I liked.
    I do like the 4 x 10 cab I have in the studio it's a half open half closed cab.

Have an off brand 4 x 12 cab, others like but still not for me.
    BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
    A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA
    it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
    Pan60 Facebook
    Pan Panhead Facebook
    www.pan60.com
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

I had a late nineties model Dual Rec and I have to agree. Our later model Triple Rec sounded horrible by comparison. Could never get a decent sound out of it.
    I'm confused, or maybe we just disagree.

A "late 90s" Recto would be the second version of the amp, which to me sounds far worse than the original model which originated in 1991. I used to own a head made in the summer of 1993, which sounded great.

If you had a "later [than the late 90s] model Triple Rectifier", it would have had to be the 2010 revision. Which to my ears sounds a bit better. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding? FWIW I always preferred the Duals to the Triples.

It seems like what you are calling the "original version" is the 2 channel version, but I've heard they can sound pretty different too, with some people claiming the first 500 or so are the best, etc...
    There's a bunch of mythology floating around, and I am not sure what is true. I know that what I call the "original" version (1991-1997/8?) came out in half a dozen different versions, with minor tweaks.

FWIW I opened up my dual rectifier, I have a Rev G from 1996. Does this qualify as a "good" one? I guess I've never heard any of the newer ones to compare.
    AFAIK, that would be one of the later versions of the "original".

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Nov 2010
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 11522277

My early 90's Dual Recto (with the outer power tubes removed) through a Marshall 1960B sounds so sweet that it makes people think I can play guitar.

I store the rig at a friend's studio. Whenever I take it out for a gig, they're on the phone the next day asking when they can have it back.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,140
    Rep Power 536871378

My experience with Orange, Mesa and Sonar matches Slippy's exactly! I've never heard anything sound as good as a Hiwatt driven by a Fender Bassman head that's sitting right on it. Closest was a Marshall 50.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

I've had this dual rectifier/ Marshall 1960A half stack since I played regularly semi-professionally, maybe 9/11 years ago.

Six years ago I was no longer doing that and I held a cancer benefit concert for a good friend of mine. The mesa was used at some point, and presumably dropped at some other point. It was fucked up. But I didn't play electric guitar much then so I didn't worry about it.

Fast forward to now, I'm getting back into playing electric guitar, and going back to my roots a bit to try make a good punk/grunge type of album, and I thought the mesa would be great for that.

So I bought all new tubes, remembered it was actually broken, had a friend I play music with fix it, and it was good to go. Sounded great to me, I sounded like a better guitar player.

Yesterday was the first day I got to play it again, and I let it run all day. After an hour or two it sounded kinda like what I remembered. Then last night lightning struck a transformer in my back yard, and the power was out until today. Fried a tv or two, and various other electronics in the house.

Thankfully the the amp survived, but I can't help but wonder if this is the universe trying to tell me something. I ditched electric guitar for acoustic guitar years ago.
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,385
    Rep Power 536871101

I'm confused, or maybe we just disagree.

A "late 90s" Recto would be the second version of the amp, which to me sounds far worse than the original model which originated in 1991. I used to own a head made in the summer of 1993, which sounded great.

If you had a "later [than the late 90s] model Triple Rectifier", it would have had to be the 2010 revision. Which to my ears sounds a bit better. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding? FWIW I always preferred the Duals to the Triples.
    Sorry for the confusion.

I must admit I can't remember the exact years. The dual rectifier was definitely the first release version though. It was a little beat up and third hand by the time I got it in 2002 and being that I was far more up to speed with amp releases at that time I recall noting when the second revision came out (a few years before I got mine, of course). The one I had was old and could have well been from the early nineties. I don't have it anymore so I can't verify that but I'm 90% certain.

The triple rectifier was bought in the UK prior to 2002 by my studio partner (not sure when, might have been late nineties or the turn of the millennium) so it couldn't have been the 2010 model. I think it was the second gen release of the amp to my knowledge, which would have been built on the second gen technology that went into the dual rectifier.

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Hates these rank titles! Thinks Alfred Einstein was a genius
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 215
    Rep Power 301990046

The new mini cabs sound quite respectable, but then tone is in the fingers!
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Feb 2014
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 42

Heads. I'm not aware of any major design changes to the cabs (which is not to say there haven't been any), but the heads have gone through two major design changes, one IIRC around 1997 or so, and one in 2010. To my ears, the latest revision is far better than the previous, but not as good as the original.

I wonder if my disliking the Orange cabs is due to the same phenomenon. I have always heard them as excessively fizzy.

otek
    Interesting. I'd posted something about my struggle/dislike of my Mesa cab elsewhere. It's a 2x12 and I have a horrible time getting it to sound good. However, I'd made some earlier recordings w/ a Framus 4x12 with v30's in it and those tracks sound like pure butter.

When I tried to use the Framus cab in a live situation though, the Mesa sounded better which is how I ended up keeping it.

What cabs do you guys like the best?
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Feb 2014
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 42

Sounds and feels substantially different. I've got a late 90's model and it and the 3 channel are worlds apart. At the same time; the 3 channel is good too; it's just different. I can cover Tool/Chevelle/hard-rock stuff all day with it; but if you want to do fast metal with it, you've GOT to have a boost. This was my first Rec and it really confused me why this was so, when I'd seen bands like BTBAM playing stock Rectos with no OD. So, now I have this late 90's model and it is ticked off and mean. A boost actually sucks some of the metal out of it. It's thick, and dark, and brutal. It's a great time.

My perfect "hard" amp would have one channel of the orange/vintage channel on the 3 channel, and another channel with that grinding death found only in the red channel of the 90's Dual Rec.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

What cabs do you guys like the best?

good Marshall 4x12s are always a staple; but you have to pick and choose. They can be very hit or miss.

the one always great cab to me is the Hiwatt 4x12 with Fanes... but they're not exactly easy to find anymore.

and for a lot of less "heavy" sounds, can''t beat the original Vox 2x12 open back with celestial 'blue' speakers
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Never made a record...music forum mod!
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Columbus OH
    Posts 484
    Rep Power 536870992

Any opinions concerning the Marshall 1960A vs the Marshall 2551A Silver Jubilee?
    Last edited by steveschizoid; July 18th, 2015 at 05:08 AM.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Never made a record...music forum mod!
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Columbus OH
    Posts 484
    Rep Power 536870992

Never mind; I've discovered there are many versions of the 1960A, and they seem to sound radically different from one another. I guess I will have to break down and haul my dual rec out to Music Go Round to try them out.