Thread: Rightscorp

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

Default Rightscorp

I never heard of this before today.

Many infringers who do not pay are disconnected by their ISPs. Rightscorp's technology system monitors the global Peer‐to‐Peer (P2P) file sharing networks and sends emails to ISPs using the notice format as specified in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act with the date, time, song title and other specific technology identifiers to confirm the infringement by the ISP’s customer.

Under Federal Copyright Law, once the ISP has actual knowledge of copyright infringements that take place using its network, it has specific duties in relation to the enforcement of the rights of the owners of the material in question.

Every ISP is required by law to enforce a policy that provides, in appropriate circumstances, for termination of internet service to subscribers who become repeat infringers. Your ISP’s terms of use (or similar user agreement) probably specifically states that it can terminate your service if you violate the copyrights of others.

One way that an ISP can satisfy its own legal obligations is to facilitate its subscribers’ compliance with copyright law – including by terminating subscribers who repeatedly violate copyright laws.
    When the ISP notifies its subscriber of an infringement (by passing along Rightscorp’s notice), the customer is advised that based on current laws, the user who receives a notice is liable for up to $150,000 in damages.

But if they click on the link supplied, the customer is able to remit payment to Rightscorp who passes on a percentage to the copyright owner and the particular instance of copyright infringement can be settled between them and the copyright owner quickly and affordably.

- See more at: http://www.rightscorp.com/notices/no....QBzAlVYD.dpuf
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Default Re: Rightscorp

I'm sure the ISP is super happy to have to terminate a paying customers account. Even where they agree with the application of the law, they are essentially terminating a stream of income and that's not good for their business.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

Tough shit. Why should they be allowed to profit from piracy?

Do you honestly care about those greedy pigs? Do you think their customer is going to stop using the internet rather than pay the fine?

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Not arguing ... just pointing out a sticking point in getting people on board with trying to prevent it.
    Taking money out of someone's pocket (not that I see Comcast as a charity case) is a tough way to get someone on your side.

I haven't been in may/any highlevel budget meetings where the morality was an agenda item.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

Did the US gov't need to get the Mafia on board for RICO?

It isn't about voluntary compliance. That didn't work. It's about forcing people to obey the law or face the consequences.

You would never get companies to do anything against their short term financial gain otherwise.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Again... agreed. But when the govt when after the mob, there was an overwhelming sentiment against the mob. So politically, they more or less had to. So it was much easier to enforce the law.
    In this case, there ins't an overwhelming sentiment against any of these companies. By in large it's an overlooked issue. Couple that with the fact that you have lawmakers intertwined with the companies profiting from the lax enforcement of these laws ... I say you'll have a hard time getting these laws enforced and/or companies to comply.
    If you have the general public standing against the behavior, it makes it a lot harder for politicians who want to keep it under the rug and a lot easier for those who want to enforce the laws.
    Same as the mob scenario you gave. They were breaking the law the entire time and the laws should have been enforced ... but until it hit a point where the people wanted the laws to be enforced, they weren't.

I say there's value in the court of public opinion. It has the ability to affect change. But in the end, it won't be anything I do or say that changes the landscape ...so, I'm going for a smoke break.

-r
    Sign Here

D minor, the saddest of keys! Wing Commander!!
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 831
    Rep Power 469762088

I never heard of this before today.

You must live an extraordinarily sheltered existence.

Rightscorp live under the same bridge as patent trolls.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...copyright-cop/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...tion-and-wins/

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/R...Notices-133809

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/?company=rightscorp

DuckDuckGo will find you plenty more.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

I read the articles (except for the obvious tech dirt sleazy propaganda micro articles).

Nothing like patent trolls, although that is the typical tech sector smear. And the moronic comments.

A 20 year old album should rightfully be in the public domain. This copyright shit has gone way too far. Twenty year old music is a product of our culture, and belongs to all of us
    So very stupid. A popular sentiment, though, I will concede.

Greedle
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 831
    Rep Power 469762088

... Nothing like patent trolls ...
    They both make money from other peoples' work. How much of what Rightscorp has collected on your behalf has ended up in your pocket?
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,769
    Rep Power 536871396

Not arguing ... just pointing out a sticking point in getting people on board with trying to prevent it.
    Taking money out of someone's pocket (not that I see Comcast as a charity case) is a tough way to get someone on your side.

I haven't been in may/any highlevel budget meetings where the morality was an agenda item.

-r
    Not interested in getting people who steal from me and my friends "on my side".

Interested in grinding them into the dust and good riddance.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

They both make money from other peoples' work.
    So does your employer. So does every business that has employees. Attempt to make a point.

How much of what Rightscorp has collected on your behalf has ended up in your pocket?
    What part of "I never heard of this before today." didn't you understand?

The company is not a PRO collecting royalties and wouldn't be comsidered a substitute for a PRO. It's about discouraging piracy by making it costly and annoying.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Not interested in getting people who steal from me and my friends "on my side".

Interested in grinding them into the dust and good riddance.
    Ah yes ... the "make it a parking lot" solution.
    I see where I was wrong and now understand that the destruction of all that oppose me is the only way.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

I don't know about "grinding into dust" but at least the occasional slap on the wrist.

Greedle
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 831
    Rep Power 469762088

So does your employer. So does every business that has employees. Attempt to make a point. ...
    The point is, they make their money witout compensating the owners of the property they're making their money with. It's a bit like someone borrowing your car to deliver pizza.

... The company is not a PRO collecting royalties and wouldn't be comsidered a substitute for a PRO. It's about discouraging piracy by making it costly and annoying.
    Good point. I'll use it next time I see someone complain that they aren't getting a share of the penalties paid by infringers. It'll also reduce any guilt an infringer might feel about depriving the artists of their livelihood.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

What guilt?

They take 50% of what they collect and 50% goes to the rights holder.

The PROs can't collect from pirate sites or "file sharers", which is why a company like this can exist.

The client figures half a loaf is better than none.

Greedle