Thread: The power of CLA PLUGINS!

Join Date Jul 2015
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 24

Default The power of CLA PLUGINS!

Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,262
    Rep Power 536871061

Default Re: The power of CLA PLUGINS!

Your Master Bus is in the red...
    Edit: now it's a clippy mess.
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date May 2007
    Posts 104
    Rep Power 33554569

Master in the red for a long time…… not a good thing……...
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Location Somewhere in the vincinity of
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870987

Ouch ! It sounds like fuck... and not the good kind
    Great, quick or cheap. Pick two
    It's vintage only if it works. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk !
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

So much power, master buss is confused.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,770
    Rep Power 536871396

Never mind - not worth the effort...
    Last edited by John Eppstein; July 30th, 2015 at 12:07 AM.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,551
    Rep Power 536871029

this is not correct
    TAP TO MASTER
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,383
    Rep Power 536871100

What a load of bollocks. This isn't mixing. This is processing indiscriminately and louderizing.

Mixing involves fader moves and automation at the very least. Good gain staging? Not in this example.

I can hear the clipping and the slammed bus compressor (1176???). Red lights going off everywhere. This is a problem.

For fuck sakes. You would do the world a better service by taking down this video which only really shows what's wrong with "mixing" today. If your goal was to show us what NOT to do, then job done.

Cheers

Ps. Thanks for that. Haven't had a good rant in a while.
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

Toguro,
    welcome to The Womb

maybe you could tell us about yourself and why you're here and what sort of discussion interests you, rather than just posting a video like that.

A little easy youtube search would turn up CLA himself talking his way through a demonstration of those plug ins and in it you'd see that he doesn't slam the inputs or outputs into clipping like that.

In fact, those plug ins (while quite heavy handed in their 'fingerprint'), can be very useful sometimes and definitely have a 'thing'.

But it's also important to apply some of your own taste (and often examine the original intent of the recording) rather than just blindly over processing everything because you CAN.

As others have pointed out (with varying degrees of helpfulness) clipping in the box never sounds good. And here's really no REASON for it.
    And even more so those plug ins REALLY don't sound good when clipping.
    Last edited by weedywet; July 31st, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

I tried a demo of the CLA signature plugs a while ago, I can see how some people would like them for certain things, but I did not like them at all. After using them on a handful of instruments, the ones without them started to sound out of place. I tried a mix or two with using them on everything, and I first I thought cool - an easy way to get a sound closer to modern commercial pop/rock.

Then I took them off and realized just how hyped and unnatural they sounded. I guess if you have the discipline to use them sparingly and tastefully they could be cool, but I also see them as an easy way for some newer mixers to get lazy and comfortable with a 'mix by presets' approach.
    Last edited by unitymusic; July 31st, 2015 at 12:46 AM. Reason: nm
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,551
    Rep Power 2500000000

Toguro,
    welcome to The Womb

maybe you could tell us about yourself and why you're hear and what sort of discussion interests you rather than just posting a video like that.

A little easy youtube search would turn up CLA himself talking his way through a demonstration of those plug ins and in it you'd see that he doesn't slam the inputs or outputs into clipping like that.

In fact, those plug ins (while quite heavy handed in their 'fingerprint'), can be very useful sometimes and definitely have a 'thing'.

But it's also important to apply some of your own taste (and often examine the original intent of the recording) rather than just blindly over processing everything because you CAN.

As others have pointed out (with varying degrees of helpfulness) clipping in the box never sounds good. And here's really no REASON for it.
    I do not recognize you. What have you done with Weedy? And where are you holding him?

Thanks,

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

I do not recognize you. What have you done with Weedy? And where are you holding him?
    Weedy's been taken by aliens. He's up there in orbit, chilling with Whitley Strieber's old pals.

They will return him as soon as they're done probing his rectum.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

No wonder I got his pants.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,503
    Rep Power 536871083

No wonder I got his pants.
    Hanna. Nice. Cross thread humor.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Jul 2015
    Posts 12
    Rep Power 24

I've seen many people clip their master bus because their monitors aren't loud enough.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Jul 2014
    Posts 47
    Rep Power 402653267

Hi everyone,
    I'd like to hear your thoughts about this (especifically for mixing, rather than mastering):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-system

http://mixcoach.com/metering-episode-85/
    http://mixcoach.com/insert-title-podcast-episode-86/
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

It's bollocks.

Show us the list of enviable records he's mixed and then I'll pay attention.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Jul 2014
    Posts 47
    Rep Power 402653267

Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

It's bollocks.

Show us the list of enviable records he's mixed and then I'll pay attention.
    Ah, but the kids love it (even if they don't understand how to actually calibrate anything or put it into practice).

I laugh my balls off at all these nerds nowadays imagining they are calibrating their plugins to VU levels. Still, I guess it distracts them from the fact they haven't the talent or artistic vision to actually get around to making some music
    Large dairy air enthusiast Runs a 4.35 forty...yeah right!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,193
    Rep Power 536871078

Toguro,
    welcome to The Womb

maybe you could tell us about yourself and why you're here and what sort of discussion interests you, rather than just posting a video like that.

I was truly hoping this person was going to respond.

However it seems it was some troll nonsense.

What upsets me most is this brought out what I can only describe as an insightful and polite response from William.
    "There is no movement in golf that cannot be made more difficult through diligent study and practice." - Leslie Nielson

"do not misconstrue a lack of planning on YOUR part for a crisis on MY part." - Shotgun

www.bowermanstudios.com