Thread: TUMBLEWEEDS. DEEP SPACE RADIO NOISE. ETC.

Astrological sign is "Feces"! Sees nothing wrong with playing WOW
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 376
    Rep Power 330728591

Default Re: TUMBLEWEEDS. DEEP SPACE RADIO NOISE. ETC.

It's like I'm a music lover and they're all Donald Fagen (or Boris Becker, or whatever the other perp's name is)
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,553
    Rep Power 536871030

There's never going to be a shortage of people who want to argue, debate, and generally shout each other down. Facebook and Reddit seem to be two of the biggest cesspools of pointless 'discourse' in existence.

The rest of us can go make stuff, and talk about it here.

I dunno if the forum is dead, but it's sedated for sure. Is it really because of the facebook group or something else...?
    TAP TO MASTER
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,385
    Rep Power 536871101

You guys still hanging out in this dive? Come'aaaaan. Get with it.

If anyone can tell me what the best nacho cheese dip for hip hop vocals is under $1.99 I'll stick around.

Cheers :P
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

You guys still hanging out in this dive? Come'aaaaan. Get with it.

If anyone can tell me what the best nacho cheese dip for hip hop vocals is under $1.99 I'll stick around.

Cheers :P
    November?
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871160

I dunno if the forum is dead, but it's sedated for sure. Is it really because of the facebook group or something else...?
    Maybe because it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere and people are on vacation?
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,553
    Rep Power 536871030

Maybe because it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere and people are on vacation?
    well I sure as hell hope so. Around the time of the re-design we seemed to lose a ton of people who never came back.

This place is still a great resource but without much activity I have a hard time getting anyone else to visit it. It just looks like a dead forum to most potential users.

The recording world seems to have become a haven for those who want to endlessly debate their point of view, rather than a place where people make music. Maybe we need more vitriol.

I'd blame Slippy but he seems kinda sad.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Maybe we need more vitriol.
    Fuck off.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

I like what I get here. I'd like to see it continue and see more of it too. I'd be happy to help however I can.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

\Maybe we need more vitriol.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

There was a period in this place where people with questions considered stupid, or even worded incorrectly, they were jumped on very harshly.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,553
    Rep Power 536871030

I feel cozier already.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

I feel cozier already.
    Gesundheit!
    D minor, the saddest of keys! Wing Commander!!
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 831
    Rep Power 469762089

Maybe everyone is too busy and working too hard to have time to post?
    ..... naaah.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

There was a period in this place where people with questions considered stupid, or even worded incorrectly, they were jumped on very harshly.
    I'm very sorry about that - but I'm a changed man.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

I'm very sorry about that - but I'm a changed man.
    Yes.

You're now a woman.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

Meh.

I've been through worse initiations.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Yes.

You're now a woman.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Told ya!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,553
    Rep Power 2500000000

It was kinda funny when Mixerman warned his buddies not to just come to Mixermania to hawk their wares when he presumably set it up so he could hawk his.
    You have that completely backwards Nobby, as per usual. Here's what it says on Mixermania: To discuss record-making from the perspective of the professional. There's one rule. You delete an original post (thereby deleting the thread), you get tossed.

In regards to posts that are purely promotional in nature: If you are a participant in the discussions here, then we will grant you some latitude on pimping your shit.

That's what it says now, originally I said that you could even pimp your shit there. That has turned out to be problematic, of course. Because EVERYONE seems to have something to pimp these days.

Is it supposed to be ostensibly about discussing audio? It would take a while to discuss all the reasons that this is a superior platform for that.
    This IS a superior platform in many ways. Unfortunately it seems that younger people don't agree with that assessment.

For starters FB is like a primitive 15 year old message board except with the ability to link to stuff. No bold or italics or smilies (unless you pay extra, probably) and half the stuff that shows up on my newsfeed I'm unable to like or comment on without friending whomever it was shared from due to FB's insidious design. No spaces between paragraphs, anything longer than a few lines is hidden and shit jumps around so if you follow a link you can't find your way back to where you were.

I've known about bacon since I was a child. Only on FB is it newsworthy.

Just because you have the ability to announce to the world that you are about to take a nap doesn't mean you should.
    Actually, there tends to be more off-topic information on the forum than on Mixermania. Don't confuse a Group with your Newsfeed. They're different.

Also I'm tempted to myth bust all the factually incorrect memes that I notice, which is most of them, but I don't have time for that.

I could go on... and I probably will.
    I think time is the main issue. We have lots of moderators here. Yet I don't have much help, and forums can't be, nor ever will be my main business, which means I rely on others to make things happen around here. I can't run this like a business, and that alone makes it impossible to grow. If you're not happy with the direction of the forums, find some young kids to grab the bull by the horns and take some control of it. I'm down for changes. Drastic changes. But I won't be able to do that on my own. So, if everyone wants to pitch in and reposition the Womb in a manner that is back in favor with how people use the web, then I'm all for it. But complaining about it like there are kids on the lawn most certainly isn't useful. And blaming me isn't a fair assessment.

It's a community. If the only reason the community exists and remains is because of my activity, then it's nothing more than a fan page. I can reach way more people in way less time by posting on FB, than by hoping people come by here to read it. As a fan page, this place doesn't make much sense for me anymore. As a community, well, that relies on the community.

The first step would be to get rid of the grumpy old men. Then waddawe got?

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Me.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,553
    Rep Power 536871030

I'm still super young, I'll do it.

Shit, I'd probably have joined the facebook group if I didn't give it up years ago. I love ya mixerman, but not enough to get a facebook account.

This place helped me progress, for real, when I had hit a proverbial musical career wall. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

How young is young anyway? Like, college age? I don't think there's as many wrinkly old farts here as it feels like.
    TAP TO MASTER