Thread: TUMBLEWEEDS. DEEP SPACE RADIO NOISE. ETC.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

Default Re: TUMBLEWEEDS. DEEP SPACE RADIO NOISE. ETC.

You have that completely backwards Nobby, as per usual.
    I got you to post, didn't I?

Here's what it says on Mixermania: To discuss record-making from the perspective of the professional. There's one rule. You delete an original post (thereby deleting the thread), you get tossed.

In regards to posts that are purely promotional in nature: If you are a participant in the discussions here, then we will grant you some latitude on pimping your shit.

That's what it says now, originally I said that you could even pimp your shit there. That has turned out to be problematic, of course. Because EVERYONE seems to have something to pimp these days.
    Among other things, FB is sort of set up to pimp your shit. That's whay there's so much shit there, NTTAWWT

This IS a superior platform in many ways. Unfortunately it seems that younger people don't agree with that assessment.
    Age doesn't seem to have much to do with FB in general.

I don't think people go to FB because they think it's a better platform. People go there because there are more eyeballs, more page views.

Actually, there tends to be more off-topic information on the forum than on Mixermania. Don't confuse a Group with your Newsfeed. They're different.
    Agreed... I was generalizing about FB.

The first step would be to get rid of the grumpy old men. Then waddawe got?
    Then this turns into the purple place
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Traffic for the sake of traffic probably isn't of much value for this place. It would become full of useless noise. But somehow creating a steady diet of content could be a good thing. Something that creates a topic for discussion and gives people a reason to come consume information. And not just how the world is going to hell in a hand basket stuff that nobby loves.
    Something that relates to doing the work. Weedy's drum mic technique thread is a good example of that. It created a buzz and got a lot of people engaged.

One of the things I came in late on, like years late, were the "radio show" sessions. I used to do a lame weekly internet radio show, so that kind of thing may appeal to me more than most ... but I really enjoy those kinds of things. There's humor in it, people kind of become real, personalities are better expressed than in print. It's content that can draw participation. And if you set out to try and do something constructive/instructional during the event, that gets relevant information out, it builds the sites reputation and entertains. And for me, Pensado's Place isn't it either. It's great for him and those who like it, but it's contrived and mostly like a low budged, bad late night show. I much prefer a lightly scripted, mostly off the cuff gathering of like minded people, where the formality of preforming a show isn't the goal. The unpredictability of something happening in a less scripted setting means people can't always have their pre-worked Miss America answer ready. It creates moments of honesty or sincerity. And to me, that's where you really start to see the person. From that, you get a much better sense of whether or not you can trust the answers they are giving you. But I've gone off course here....

Geographical location seems to be pretty dispersed among the core people here. Does anyone live near one another?? That's problematic in an organizational sense and for cost. (You're all welcome to come to my place though. Ski season will be on us soon)
    And another real question with that kind of thing is ... who here is interested in putting themselves out there like that. Maybe no one.

There is real value in the information people have here. So you either have to push the information out in front of people, forcing them to see it then engage in it(i.e. how Mixerman's books got me here). Or the people have to know that this is the place to come to ask for the information(i.e. hijack google search engines?).
    If neither of those things happen and the valuable information the community has never comes out it will never draws others in.

To a large degree, the participation/growth/existence of this community depend on the successes of Mixerman. He is the the hook that draws the crowd. And no offence to you sir, but I think it's obvious that his participation is going to be somewhere between very limited, to not at all. So growth means the community itself would have to figure out how to manufacture some of those hooks.

One logical option is to try and ride the coat tails of whatever successes Mixerman is able to manufacture. And that means pimping him to some degree (slipperman is probably stabbing someone or something after reading that). Obviously weedy has a name that would drive interest too...but I don't know how pimped he'd want to be. But big names on marquee outside the venue draw people in.
    In addition to that, the community would have to pimp the community as being a definitive resource on all things zen...or whatever. The hope, but of course never the intention, being it could stand on it's own, without needing one person's name as the reason people find it.

I don't typically get things across well in writing and inevitably someone takes something the wrong way. So try and apply a liberal amount of I'm only trying to be helpful to my ramblings...because it is true, I'm really just trying to help.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,553
    Rep Power 2500000000

To a large degree, the participation/growth/existence of this community depend on the successes of Mixerman. He is the the hook that draws the crowd. And no offence to you sir, but I think it's obvious that his participation is going to be somewhere between very limited, to not at all. So growth means the community itself would have to figure out how to manufacture some of those hooks.
    Yes. This is the problem, and that is the solution. I always intended for the community to take over, but it never happened organically, so I'm laying it out there. That is what needs to happen.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

I always thought this forum was the refuge for people who felt prosoundweb was "deteriorating".
    Join Date Mar 2012
    Location The Great White North
    Posts 431
    Rep Power 536870989

I always thought this forum was the refuge for people who felt prosoundweb was "deteriorating".
    Replace "prosoundweb" with "personal hygiene" and I'm on the same page.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Replace "prosoundweb" with "personal hygiene" and I'm on the same page.
    It's considered a good practise to be on the same page as personal hygiene. But that's not important right now. (In Leslie Nielsen's voice)
    Surfing the net at work every day! Has proof that JFK was president
    Join Date May 2009
    Posts 318
    Rep Power 536871019

How about relocating the womb to the Dark net? Have it as a Tor hidden service. That way, more notoriety. More 1337ness. More exclusivity. Hawk your wares, pay in bitcoin, have an escrow check her tubes before shipping. Dread Pirate Slippermensch to be the supreme overlord admin for the Satanic guitars thread.

I'm kidding, but not completely.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871118

OK.

I'm gonna cook up some shit for this joint.

I'm not claiming it's gonna be pretty.

I've got the time in the next 6-7 weeks to generate some content.

Lemme get on it.

Slippy
    OK.

Lemme get on it.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

OK.

Lemme get on it.

Slippy
    Thank fuck for that.

I'm all for community, but not if I have to contribute anything. What's up with that?

And if we wanted pretty, we wouldn't hang around here. Bring on the ugly.

PS. Am I the last person on Earth not to have a facebook account?
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871089

I'm fuckin' depressed because I'm getting stalked by internet shitlords (the dox you and send SWAT teams kind) who are trying to figure out if my life is worth ruining. It looks like both me and they are correctly asserting that it is not. There's nothing TO wreck. Empty.

Whatever.

I'm gonna drop by here more often. At least I know it's private! We're all kind of in the same boat, aren't we?

I got a hug from Terry M. at his photo show (for friendship and giving a bunch of help setting up, and a dogged, relentless appreciation of his photographer skills and instincts, which are indeed good)

Clearly now I need to get a hug from Mutt Lange, and a serious ass-beating from Slipperman, before I die.

Life (which sucks) is SO WEIRD I can't even. And I like this peculiar little dump because it also is so weird, and it also can't even. Glad it's still here.

Love ya Slippy, ought to hang out sometime.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871054

Well most places on the great inter web that have anything decent to be involved in are dying, it's the plan of the tech uber lords turn it all to shite that's main reason that it exists, to attract eyeballs to ads or boost the stock price of some overvalued bullshit destination. Why is anybody surprised? Traffic ain't the be all and end all it's the quality of the traffic that matters to anyone not in the Google/Facebook camp.

The Diarys drew the original volume of traffic that resulted in this place coming into existance, Unfortunately they also led to the transition of Mixerman from a talented AE/producer to an authour whose's main goal seemed to be hawking his books, perhaps harsh but to me it rings true. There are other talented AE/ producers here and they have something important to say and learn about, but the fixation on traffic and eyeballs is quickly turning this web thing from a fascinating experiment in communication to a pile of shit. Take a look at the people in control of this pot holed super highway and ask yourself is it any wonder? I'd advise everyone to mellow out, post when they have something to say and stop worrying if the Womb is quiet, then check in on the purple place and facebook once in a while and breath a sigh of relief, that this is not that. Take care, Logan
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,553
    Rep Power 2500000000

The Diarys drew the original volume of traffic that resulted in this place coming into existance, Unfortunately they also led to the transition of Mixerman from a talented AE/producer to an authour whose's main goal seemed to be hawking his books, perhaps harsh but to me it rings true.
    That reminds me. I have a new book coming out, and I'll be posting it online at mixerman.net very soon. It's called. Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent. A new adventure.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Ambidextrous Onanist Thinks Quiet Riot was under-rated
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Silvan
    Posts 1,019
    Rep Power 536871053

That reminds me. I have a new book coming out, and I'll be posting it online at mixerman.net very soon. It's called. Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent. A new adventure.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Like.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	13081
    "Hate is the Jalapeño of emotion, a little goes a long way".... Slipperman
    Hominem Iniocosum Non Diffidite
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

It is the mm diaries and slippermans guitar thread that drew people here (including, of course me, I hopped from psw, though I hadn't been there long)

It's probably worthwhile to share those threads about, people will always like them.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871160

Clearly now I need to get.. a serious ass-beating from Slipperman, before I die.
    Didn't you have your chance at a comparatively recent radio show? And how did I miss actually meeting you while you were there?
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    Clearly, the key to mm's participation is his need to defend himself after someone disparages him. Quick!!! Everyone come with your best insult!!!

...respectfully.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871089

Didn't you have your chance at a comparatively recent radio show? And how did I miss actually meeting you while you were there?
    That's not really recent, that was some years ago. And I had to bail because the room turned into Jamaica suddenly. I'm cool with that, but can't be around it, hadda give it up (you can be around booze and not drink, but it's not really possible to be around purple smoke and not breathe)
    I'd totally go again, but it's not really fair for my limitations to get in the way of other people's fun. So it might not ever be a thing again. However, it was wonderful meeting Slippy, Mixie, Weedy et al. I even helped set the place up a bit, though I couldn't do much 'cos insurance reasons.
    Surfing the net at work every day! Hall of fame numbers
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 303
    Rep Power 536871050

Really? How marvellous!

Taking requests?
    "Learn as much as you can about anything that touches you. Be slow to anger, but tolerate no fools. Life is too short for anything else."
    bbkong
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871118

Really? How marvellous!

Taking requests?

Sure!

I live to amuse.

HOHOHO.

Sad, but somewhat true.

Ahh me.

Slippy
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Surfing the net at work every day! Hall of fame numbers
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 303
    Rep Power 536871050

Sure!

I live to amuse.

HOHOHO.

Sad, but somewhat true.

Ahh me.

Slippy
    Wow. I was expecting a gleeful description of my imminent demise. Jedi Aikido move there…

OK. From a non-AE perspective, it seems to me that everything you've said/written has a common theme, that being clarity of intent. WHY are you using this guitar/amp/cab/room/mic/etc. HOW does it support the song. WHAT is the cumulative effect, that sorta thing. A constant reiteration of "BE PRESENT, MOTHERFUCKER". This has had the effect of really sharpening up my approach to playing, so thank you.

I'm sure there are folk who would love to hear more AE related wisdom and who will have many excellent suggestions for future expositions in the same vein as those you've generously provided to date.

PS… Amuse, sure ("my hovercraft is full of eels" has left a lasting impression), but there's been a whole lot of 'educate' in there as well.

PPS… Billy Flutey.
    "Learn as much as you can about anything that touches you. Be slow to anger, but tolerate no fools. Life is too short for anything else."
    bbkong