goes looking for thin ice to walk on You ain't a beauty but hey you're alright.
    Join Date May 2011
    Location Nashville
    Posts 79
    Rep Power 50331734

WTF? How do YOU collect royalties from your indie clients?

This question is for those of you who have co-written songs (music and/or lyrics) with your clients who are not associated with a label or publisher of any kind. I've only started doing this over the last year, and these artists are distributing their own music with TuneCore, Ditto, etc - sometimes they give the music away for free. What should I do to collect on the sales they get and protect myself on the off-chance they hit it big?

Thanks in advance!
    "Suffer. You have to earn it." - SM
    @thomasdulin
    thomasdulin.com
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

Default Re: How do YOU collect royalties from your indie clients?

This question is for those of you who have co-written songs (music and/or lyrics) with your clients who are not associated with a label or publisher of any kind. I've only started doing this over the last year, and these artists are distributing their own music with TuneCore, Ditto, etc - sometimes they give the music away for free. What should I do to collect on the sales they get and protect myself on the off-chance they hit it big?

Thanks in advance!
    If you co-wrote the song you should be registered as one of the writers with the US copyright people and also with a PRO, preferably the same PRO as the other writers of the song. (However you can only be a member of one PRO. That's BMI, ASCAP, or SESAC in the US.)

It's the same thing as if you co-write with anybody.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

That's a good question!

They do need a mechanical license from you. You can probably have it administered by Harry Fox.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Mook Breath
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Location Lvl 4 Data Center, Walls rated to withstand explosives
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217856

This is sort of a sideways answer as you said "no label" - but as an independent label I have taken some administration type deals where I'm not invested (or invested much) in the production of the music or promotion of the artist. This isn't meant as an advertisement (The label name isn't here) but just a suggestion of something they might look for.

In those cases, without locking them into any larger contract the indie label takes temporary ownership of the master for some period and act like a Tunecore to get it digitally distributed or create physical product. Fees aren't much different from Tunecore. (I guess we all have our reasons at times to work for free, or nearly free.) The difference is that the indie label sees that stakeholders like you get paid before the artist does and that anyone can audit the statements at anytime.

On physical CD's (which to be honest I was kinda surprised at the volume - modest, but then I had expected nothing at all) you don't really care what they do with them or how long it takes to sell because as a writer you would get paid before they ship. In a deal like that where they are just shipping to the artist, there are no reserves like there would be with retail. If they do go retail, it's a different kind of deal. And yah, there is an administrative publisher in either case.

Something like that might protect you for at least the period of the contract...
    Last edited by Southfork; February 14th, 2016 at 05:18 PM.