Thread: Hardware update

Hates these rank titles! Iconoclastic plastic
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

Zero Amperes Hardware update

I'm currently running Logic 9 on Mavericks on a 2010 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM. I/O is a Apogee Duet firewire.

With the Slate plug-ins and EZ Drummer or SSD4 I'm finding that I'm rapidly running out of horsepower so although I can freeze tracks and be more selective with my plugins (VR on every track but VTM on selected ones and the master bus) I'm thinking that having a better workstation to mix on might help.

Aside from the Hackintosh route which of these options in your experience would be best bang for the buck (budget is about 1k) - a mac mini, imac or an updated Mac Pro (5,1 with updated internals)?
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871158

Default Re: Hardware update

Running the same software on a 2012 Mac Mini (not the Slate stuff though) and encountering more or less the same thing when the plug-in count gets up there a little bit, say, running more than four or five instances of the Kramer tape emu along with everything on the channels and the busses.

I think an updated Mac Pro would give you the most flexibility for upgrading later, followed by a newer Mac Mini. iMacs seem to make it difficult to get at their innards.
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

I think an updated Mac Pro would give you the most flexibility for upgrading later, followed by a newer Mac Mini. iMacs seem to make it difficult to get at their innards.
    Thanks Fulcrum, my feeling was the same. Looking on fleabay I can get something like this in my budget so time to raid the piggy bank & talk the missus round that I need yet another computer!
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Thanks Fulcrum, my feeling was the same. Looking on fleabay I can get something like this in my budget so time to raid the piggy bank & talk the missus round that I need yet another computer!
    When was the last time she got the equivalent in her gadgets? Think hard, this will directly stand in proportion to the amount of intercourse you're anticipating.
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 925
    Rep Power 536870969

^ ^ ^HAHAHA ^ ^ ^

I feel like he's speaking from experience.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

I guess everyone with a studio habit (and not recovering) having a GF is speaking from experience.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Location Somewhere in the vincinity of
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870985

I guess everyone with a studio habit (and not recovering) having a GF is speaking from experience.
    True !
    Great, quick or cheap. Pick two
    It's vintage only if it works. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk !
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Let's start with this: How do you know that new hardware is what you need?

Perhaps, you should first take a look and see how you're running things on your old hardware. How expandable is your MBP? The missus might be a little more agreeable to beefing up your old hardware rather than introduce new hardware.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

What I found out about my MBP while running Intel(r) Power Gadget was pretty stunning. While being at mostly constant 92 the meter showed it dropping more than 50% CPU power while running Cubase so cleaning the fans and re-applying thermal paste to the core took the temp down to 68-80 and previously unloadable projects would run again. Without stuttering!

Beware of the ZIF(keyboard cable. It cost me the keyboard. Now I operate on an external while researching a repair opportunity.
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Real purdy mouth
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,218
    Rep Power 536871003

Default Hardware update

Beware of the ZIF(keyboard cable. It cost me the keyboard. Now I operate on an external while researching a repair opportunity.
    Probably you know already, but ifixit.com comes in handy.

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With hyped monitors, everything sounds good so you don't hear the problems.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

I think I got my "blueprint" from that place (or similar) but sadly it didn't elaborate on the ZIF.

But thanks anyway.
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

My son had an issue with the ZIF to the hard drive. Wound up frying the controller on the motherboard. Talk about cheap cables.

Jord

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

Let's start with this: How do you know that new hardware is what you need?

Perhaps, you should first take a look and see how you're running things on your old hardware. How expandable is your MBP? The missus might be a little more agreeable to beefing up your old hardware rather than introduce new hardware.

jord
    Hi Jord, sorry I haven't responded sooner. The MBP is fully maxed out with RAM but you could be onto something. I'm wondering if going back to Mountain Lion might help? Alternatively Knatt's idea of a clean-up might not be a bad idea as I've already replaced the hard drive with a fast SSD.

I've also tried the bus route, not adding Slate VMR to every channel but create busses for processing. I ran a test last night and with an SSD4 session running into a VTM and VMR bus with the stereo output also having instances of VTM, VMR and VBC. Just the drums alone red-lined the CPU and that's before I've started processing audio!
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

Question: What O/S are peoples running here? (if you could divulge spec of your studio machine too that would be lovely - not trying to start a GS-style pissing contest, just curious!)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

I run Yosemite and thats where I'll stop on this computer. 2010 MBP 12gig RAM and 1TB SSD. Actually a great tool in spite of the age.
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

I run Yosemite and thats where I'll stop on this computer. 2010 MBP 12gig RAM and 1TB SSD. Actually a great tool in spite of the age.
    Wishing I'd got the dual core and not the i7 now as it supports more RAM! http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ody-specs.html
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

MINE IS THE BEST ONE.
    Mac with 10.7.5 pt 10.3 (something)
    I7 with 16 gigs of ram.
    Just with the stock hd though, so I can upgrade there.
    I work off of an external drive.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Default Hardware update

I'm curious to get into pt 12 at some point (soooo much to update)
    To see how much difference the AAX format makes for cpu usage. It's not really a problem for me, but I do have a few plugs (see the klanghelm thread) that it would be nice if they were a little less hungry.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 925
    Rep Power 536870969

Sort of irrelevant to the larger discussion here, sorry, but one of the things I really like about Reaper is that I'm constantly on the latest release, covered under the same license.
    There are user likes and dislikes across all of the different DAWs I'm sure, but version and the cost to cost to stay on the latest one aren't ever an issue for me.
    That said, I've spent a year of time learning a tool that does me no good outside of my place.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________