Thread: Any Environment boffins in the hizzay?

Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871160

Default Any Environment boffins in the hizzay?

So here's my current reality: I do more than my fair share of clownfucking guitar noises in my music. In fact, pretty much everything in the chain is binary, from the amp sim back through the pedal sim and even the guitar source itself (usually AAS Strum Electric). This MO works for meóto a point.

The thing is that when I "excite the string" at a certain MIDI velocity, I can always expect to hear that particular timbre without very much variation. And while Strum allows you to micro-clownfuck the various strings themselves, it doesn't really provide for any randomness: it allows you to pluck that string at that position, with that amount of pressure on the fretboard, etc, but I've yet to encounter a guitarist who can be that precise.

I know that the Environment has a randomizer function built into it, and I'm pretty sure I can use functions to step down its output into something Strum can digest when I send it a note-on, but I've never successfully gotten Strum to actually see that further input from the Environment (i.e, the randomized value sent to, say, string pluck position). It could very easily be the case that that part of Strum's interface doesn't expose that particular parameter to modification by the Environment, but I currently find that hard to believe.

Currently.

So has anyone got any Environment chops around here to help me figure out whether this is even possible? Please ask questions as I know that my own inquiry is somewhat vague.

Thanks in advance!
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Default Re: Any Environment boffins in the hizzay?

It sounds like you need a randomizer along with a transform module.

Where do you have your environment modules wired in?

It might just as quick to write a MIDI script (it's one of the MIDI effects). It's standard JavaScript and looks like a few lines are necessary since the random() function is part of the Math library.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Sushi Re: Any Environment boffins in the hizzay?

Rather than go the environment route, here's a simple Anti-Machine Gun script that you can use as a Midi FX plug-in. All you need to do is open the Scripter and copy/paste the following into the script window and run the script:

// Anti-Machine Gun Processor
    // Author: Jordan L. Chilcott

function HandleMIDI(event)
    {
    var amgRange = GetParameter("AMG Range");
    var amgAmount = GetParameter("AMG Amount");

if(event instanceof NoteOn)
    {
    var amg = parseInt((Math.random() * (2 * amgRange)) - amgRange);
    var velocity = event.velocity + parseInt(amg * (amgAmount/100));

// Trace("AMG: " + amg);

if( velocity > 127 )
    {
    velocity = 127;
    }

if( velocity < 0 )
    {
    velocity = 0;
    }

// Trace("Velocity: " + velocity);

event.velocity = velocity;
    }

// event.trace();
    event.send();
    }

var PluginParameters =
    [
    {
    name: "AMG Range",
    type: "linear",
    unit: "",
    minValue: 0,
    maxValue: 64,
    numberOfSteps: 64,
    defaultValue: 16
    },

{
    name: "AMG Amount",
    type: "linear",
    unit: "%",
    minValue: 0,
    maxValue: 100,
    numberOfSteps: 100,
    defaultValue: 80
    }

]
    Last edited by jord; September 20th, 2015 at 07:06 AM.

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871160

Thank you so much for the responses. I know—I think I know anyway—that you're on Logic X, whereas I'm resolutely still working with 9 for the duration of these two albums I've got coming soon (I'll probably upgrade afterward), so I'm not sure how much of what I'm seeing here applies to the older version.

As to how things are wired, it's been a while since I actually attempted to solve this—long enough that I don't remember what I did or how far I got (only that I couldn't solve it). Screen shots forthcoming once I retrace my steps...
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

Thank you so much for the responses. I know—I think I know anyway—that you're on Logic X, whereas I'm resolutely still working with 9 for the duration of these two albums I've got coming soon (I'll probably upgrade afterward), so I'm not sure how much of what I'm seeing here applies to the older version.

As to how things are wired, it's been a while since I actually attempted to solve this—long enough that I don't remember what I did or how far I got (only that I couldn't solve it). Screen shots forthcoming once I retrace my steps...
    No midi fx scripting in Logic 9.

Why can't you just use the humanise transform on the midi after you've recorded it (presuming you are recording it live)?

https://ask.audio/articles/humanizin...in-logic-pro-9

Am I thinking too simply? Are you looking to do something more complex?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871160

Rev, after spending a bit more time on the problem this morning and hard on the heels of your response, I'm starting to think that what I was trying to do is not possible: that was to have Strum respond to a note-on by not only playing the note but also to subtly alter the pick position (for starters) on the fly. Strum doesn't expose any kind of alteration or humanization factor for that particular parameter. I'm guessing your suggestion will probably get me closer to what I have in mind than the Environment would. I'll have a go at that and report back. Thanks for replying!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Does Strum respond to any MIDI CC codes? If not, can its controls be mapped? If you are able to do either of these, then you should be able to control it in order to get the results that you are looking for. You can even mod the AMG script to do handle control codes on the track. Itís far simpler than going the environment route in this case.

jord

Sent from my Q10 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

Can you use your midi controller knobs to affect those parameters? Does Strum have a midi learn button (I forget how Logic's midi learn works, if you can set it for plugins)?

If that's possible, you could overdub separate passes for parameter modulation, or get the humanise transform to affect those midi cc's.

EDIT: Jord. Snap.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

On LPX, you can map a smart control and assign a MIDI control. You can then play with it all you want.

jord

Sent from my Q10 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott