Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Feb 2014
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 42

Uh oh. Any way to fix a vocal where the mic is being cupped like a set of....

I'm working on reviving/remixing some old material and the singer/screamer, 90% of the time was very clearly cupping the mic like his life depended on it. Any pointers for getting rid of some of the "cupped" sound via EQ or some other method? It just sounds very "congested" for lack of a better word (that I can think of). It's also clipping like a barber.

Bonus points for methods involving the use of Logic and Slate plugins as that's what I have!

I've posted a raw unprocessed track too(aside from the vocalist's own hand processing)
    Attached Files
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

Default Re: Any way to fix a vocal where the mic is being cupped like a set of....

I'm working on reviving/remixing some old material and the singer/screamer, 90% of the time was very clearly cupping the mic like his life depended on it. Any pointers for getting rid of some of the "cupped" sound via EQ or some other method? It just sounds very "congested" for lack of a better word (that I can think of). It's also clipping like a barber.

Bonus points for methods involving the use of Logic and Slate plugins as that's what I have!

I've posted a raw unprocessed track too(aside from the vocalist's own hand processing)
    Do any of those plugins have a "de-swoggle" function?
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Default Re: Any way to fix a vocal where the mic is being cupped like a set of....

Good luck, there's probably no real trick besides the obvious (eq, maybe some distortion.)

Maybe it's possible to sort of embrace the sound (a little) somehow?
    Just kind of let it be a thing..... Maybe? Maybe not...

Run a telephone filter on it, in parallel. Mix them together (while probably still eq'ing the original.)

Dunno.
    Good luck.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871118

I'm with the long-necked critter.

I'm not sure WHY you feel you have to alter it(for clarity)?

Out of context it's impossible to know how to start to answer the question.

See... To me, this could easily be an entirely usable heavy vocal track.

I dunno.

Lemme hear it in context.

I suspect I'd be getting it MORE distorted to smooth out the phrase entrances and tails.

Which could be a modest PITA without obliterating intelligibility, but should be eminently possible.

Hey! It's why ya need a lyric sheet for heavy records.

HOHOHO, but not really.

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Feb 2014
    Posts 7
    Rep Power 42

Do any of those plugins have a "de-swoggle" function?

That's my hope.

Good luck, there's probably no real trick besides the obvious (eq, maybe some distortion.)

Maybe it's possible to sort of embrace the sound (a little) somehow?
    Just kind of let it be a thing..... Maybe? Maybe not...

Run a telephone filter on it, in parallel. Mix them together (while probably still eq'ing the original.)

Dunno.
    Good luck.
    I'm with the long-necked critter.

I'm not sure WHY you feel you have to alter it(for clarity)?

Out of context it's impossible to know how to start to answer the question.

See... To me, this could easily be an entirely usable heavy vocal track.

I dunno.

Lemme hear it in context.

I suspect I'd be getting it MORE distorted to smooth out the phrase entrances and tails.

Which could be a modest PITA without obliterating intelligibility, but should be eminently possible.

Hey! It's why ya need a lyric sheet for heavy records.

HOHOHO, but not really.

SM.
    Awesome, thanks guys. I guess I needed to hear it's a workable track as is. I was working with adding more distortion and hair to it, but as Slipperman posited, yes, it was even more unintelligible.

I'll see what I can do about getting a track with everything intact up at some point soon to see how far up the suckomatic scale I am.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

Just mix it like this:

EDIT: Although really, the dumbass "screamo" thing is pretty much done AFAIC. The misfits' horrible recording and mixing was much better.

I used to have to do live sound for a bunch of those types. Now when I'm offered the gig I price myself out of the market.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????