Thread: pignose!

the wynton of folk Suspiciously good at decorating
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 165
    Rep Power 65094580

Default pignose!

so, someone gave me a pignose, i guess its the classsic version, 7-100, made in california.
    i dont even have batteries, but looking at some videos, it looks kinda cool.
    any tips on using it? i guess i can just plug it into a tube amp, like a pedal?
    cheers, morph
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

Default Re: pignose!

I had one going to India in 1981. I used it with a Yamaha batteried keyboard and a BOSS Flanger and Analog Delay making a walking dub reggae band. There are clearly more different pork snouts out there. Mine was a really small guitar amp - what's your?
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

so, someone gave me a pignose, i guess its the classsic version, 7-100, made in california.
    i dont even have batteries, but looking at some videos, it looks kinda cool.
    any tips on using it? i guess i can just plug it into a tube amp, like a pedal?
    cheers, morph
    It's an amp, not a pedal. It does have a "preamp out" jack on the back, suitable for driving an amplifier (might overload the input of a guitar amp, might not...) or the line input of a preamp, but in reality it isn't a preamp output at all - it's a tap off the secondary of the output transformer* with a crude resistive pad on it to reduce the level., This gives you the distortion of the full power stage, not just the preamp.

Published ratings on the amp are 5 watts, but I remember them actually producing about .5 watts (1/10th rated power) at clipping, which is how amps should be rated. They're being a bit disingenuous, probably based on the fact that nobody uses a Pignose without cranking it well into distortion.

* -
    Yes, a Pignose is a solid state amp that actually uses an output transformer.
    Last edited by John Eppstein; October 27th, 2015 at 09:57 AM.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    the wynton of folk Suspiciously good at decorating
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 165
    Rep Power 65094580

Thanks for the information, John.
    @ Knastratt, it is indeed a small amp.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Posts 568
    Rep Power 536871025

I know people for some reason liked and or like those, I am not one of them.
    Just never had any love for one.
    BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
    A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA
    it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
    Pan60 Facebook
    Pan Panhead Facebook
    www.pan60.com
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

Apparently some of the famous "nu-metal" tones (Korn and like) were created using a pignose. From the youtube vids I've seen a cranked Pignose creates a fuzzy but kinda "round" tone with surprisingly good definition which should mix well with a big stack.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Injured playing co-ed dodgeball
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Posts 1,060
    Rep Power 536871076

I've never played one myself, but...

It seems that, given the right context...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0T7QzuiYtI

It's a thing that can be used to some effect.
    M
    http://deercathedral.net/index.html

Look for the sunlight where it's shinin'.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

Erm, where in that Zappa cut is there allegedly a Pignose? Please quote reputable references.

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

You can just about make out his Pignose in this performance, right at the start when he fiddles with it:

There are quite a few bits on his studio albums in the 70's that sound like a Pignose. Not sure we'll ever find official verification though.

If you read the beginning of this page, it would seem he had a few of them: http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/pages/guitar-rig
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

You can just about make out his Pignose in this performance, right at the start when he fiddles with it:

There are quite a few bits on his studio albums in the 70's that sound like a Pignose. Not sure we'll ever find official verification though.

If you read the beginning of this page, it would seem he had a few of them: http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/pages/guitar-rig
    Well, I guess you could call that a reputable source. Two, really. Thanks!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,060
    Rep Power 536871076

Erm, where in that Zappa cut is there allegedly a Pignose? Please quote reputable references.
    Erm... no.

I read somewhere, ages ago, that the guitar solos on "One Size Fits All" were recorded through a pignose. This would have been back in the day when we all read ink stains on paper... practically prehistory.

Honestly, I can't be arsed to try to track it down now... Just don't actually care enough.
    M
    Last edited by Grapestomper; October 29th, 2015 at 03:34 AM. Reason: The hell of it.

Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

Well, I guess you could call that a reputable source. Two, really. Thanks!
    You're welcome, John.

I just found the smoking gun (from Guitar Player, 1977):

"FZ: In the studio most of the stuff is played through a Pignose. I've done all kinds of things with a Pignose; I've taken it and put it in a "live" chamber and taken an (ElectroVoice) RE-20 and stuck it right in front of the Pignose, and that will get one kind of sound. It's actually the sound of an amp, but you can hear that it's in a room, and the room is resonant, so it's a realistic sound. On Zoot Allures about the only thing I used the Vox bottom and the Marshall top for was to get feedback on a song called "Filthy Habits." There's another song called "The Torture Never Stops" where it's just Pignose. Another thing I've done with the Pignose is just put it out in the middle of a dead studio, put two mikes on it, and mike it in stereo. It gets a good sound. Put one mike behind the other so there's a slight spread to it. I've also put the Piguose in an echo chamber and miked it, but not too close, because the echo chamber is real resonant. Since the amplifier isn't real loud, if you put the mike a foot away from the amp, you're going to get a sound that really approaches what you hear in a hockey rink. Anybody who's working in a studio and wants to try this, just tell the engineer to disconnect the speaker cables in the echo chamber and put a plug (phone jack) on the end of the echo send, and plug the echo send into your Pignose. Then you can sit in the control room, plug your guitar directly into the board, send it to the echo chamber on the echo send, and hear yourself coming back - and it sounds like you're in a hockey rink. You can even make it feed back by long distance. I've been using a Pignose for about the last three or four years. I think I started using it the most on Apostrophe, but there is some on Over-Nite Sensation, too."
    -
    http://home.online.no/~corneliu/gp77interview.htm

So there you have it!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,060
    Rep Power 536871076

(from Guitar Player, 1977):
    Fuck me!

I think that may be the thing I read all those years ago.
    (Though it doesn't actually mention O.S.F.A.... maybe I misremembered that.)

Good find, Rev.
    M

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,624
    Rep Power 536871428

I never thought there was anything particularly good about Zappa's guitar sound. Pretty much run-of-the-mill nasty distortion, NTTAWWT.

And his is more of a bird beak than a pig nose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frank-Zappa[1].jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	13106
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Posts 568
    Rep Power 536871025

Well, that don't make me like it any more then I ever did.
    And for the record nothing against Zappa's guitar performance but I sure as hell would not be bragging about the sound.
    BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
    A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA
    it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
    Pan60 Facebook
    Pan Panhead Facebook
    www.pan60.com
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

Remember, among other things, Zappa was quite the satirist. I wonder how much of his guitar tone relates to that?

Quite early I got the notion that it might be a good idea never to take anything Zappa does performance-wise entirely at face value. I have a kinda funny story about that but it's really late, I'm tired, and I don't feel like much typing...

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

That's an interersting line of thought. "How would you describe your guitar tone? Ironic!".
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871119

Hey... You can't be great at everything... And Zappa was never consistantly all that great at SONICS in my opinion. He made more than a few fairly dreadful sounding records(especially in the early 80's), and had a number of lousy sounding individual track recordings on even the best sounding of his records.

It's Rundgren all over again.

Todd, however, rarely had substandard guitar sounds that didn't seem PURPOSEFUL.

Frank did.

Dude. He endorsed that HIDEOUS sounding Carvin rig for a decade.

Horrible sounding amp.

Anybody coming on here claiming they like those fucking amps is gonna get killed.

Killed.

Whatever.

Not a "Zappa bash" mind you. I just don't think it(guitar sound) was all that important to him in the grand(wazoo) scheme of things.

Can't say I blame him.

It's distorted guitar.

A fucking abomination against humanity in the first place.

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

He was capable of getting beautiful sounds out of his guitar. He demonstrated that a few times.

But don't forget that he was a man far more interested in the ugly side of life than the sublime.

Beautifully ugly:

Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

He made more than a few fairly dreadful sounding records(especially in the early 80's)...
    Isn't that around the time of the infamous "ugly albums" that he hated himself, because WB fucked them somehow? I can't remember the details, but I think he fought their legal department for years trying to get his masters back so he could release better quality versions...