Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

Default Where are young metal (heavy rock in general) bands?

A thing occured to me. I don't know any new (formed by young musicians with no previous track record) metal (I use term very generally) bands getting buzz. The last one which got sorta big was IMO Mastodon and it's 10+ years already.
    There were a few noteworthy releases in the last few years, but all of them are either from already established bands (Sepultura's last one's cool) or from new bands (Mutoid Man, Pigs, NK) formed by people from well known band themselves.
    So it kinda looks like young people (in their 20s) are not playing metal or play shitty metal that nobody wants to hear.
    Of course breakdown of music biz mostly hurt metal scene probably the most. Maybe this has its effect.
    Thoughts?
    Examples to prove me wrong?
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Default Re: Where are young metal (heavy rock in general) bands?

Man. I don't know, all I can say is that I'm doing less heavy music then I did 5+ years ago. A lot less really. I don't know if it's because they're going elsewhere and I'm doing different stuff, or because there is less of a population in general.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870986

Man. I don't know, all I can say is that I'm doing less heavy music then I did 5+ years ago. A lot less really. I don't know if it's because they're going elsewhere and I'm doing different stuff, or because there is less of a population in general.
    My band seems to end up playing metal shows more often than I'd imagine given our own style, and I'd say something I've noticed in the UK in the ~8 years we've been gigging regularly is that most metal fans are older - guys and girls in their 40s and upwards. Of course, that's probably more symptomatic of the general decline in live music attendance and the way younger people are just less likely to go out to shows once they've grown out of that school band scene.
    Large dairy air enthusiast Runs a 4.35 forty...yeah right!
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts 1,188
    Rep Power 536871074

I live in Gothenburg Sweden, so I don't know what you are talking about.
    PLenty of heavy,metal, Hardcore, fuzzy guitar round here. Played by "kids" having a scene.
    I guess that since metal has been labeled fringe music, few if any get much major coverage but there is a lot of stuff happening 'round here anyways.
    Locals Avatar , Age of woe , newcomers Varggrav
    Norwegian Kvelertak is getting played on National Radio, so they're quite popular.

Klick the links for video/sound examples.
    EMK is well known in Nantucket
    A reputation so strong, he can't duck it
    The swedish bikini team
    couldn't help but scream
    when his armadillo escaped from his pocket.

Cape10 : Team Barricades (mix)
    Cape9 : Madison Square Warden (bass)
    Cape8 : Roots (bass&bones) | relentless (ideas&support)
    Cape7 : Argonauts (bass) | Big Band Theory (bones)
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

And as I think about it more, most of the local metal scene are made up of bands who's members are from like 30-50.
    Bands that have been around here for ever.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

I live in Gothenburg Sweden, so I don't know what you are talking about.
    PLenty of heavy,metal, Hardcore, fuzzy guitar round here. Played by "kids" having a scene.
    I guess that since metal has been labeled fringe music, few if any get much major coverage but there is a lot of stuff happening 'round here anyways.
    Locals Avatar , Age of woe , newcomers Varggrav
    Norwegian Kvelertak is getting played on National Radio, so they're quite popular.

Klick the links for video/sound examples.
    Thanks! That's good to hear, looks like Sweden/Scandinavia is still kinda sanctuary for metal. And Kvelertak did get some buzz around here too.

And as I think about it more, most of the local metal scene are made up of bands who's members are from like 30-50.
    Bands that have been around here for ever.
    Yep, that's where I was getting at.
    I wonder if it is truly a time of decline and metal/heavy alternative and likes will become what jazz is nowadays, or it is just a periodic thing. Did it felt like that during 80's? But there were Slayer/Metallica/Anthrax/etc
    When in doubt, mumble!

Large dairy air enthusiast Runs a 4.35 forty...yeah right!
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts 1,188
    Rep Power 536871074

Thanks! That's good to hear, looks like Sweden/Scandinavia is still kinda sanctuary for metal. And Kvelertak did get some buzz around here too.
    I forgot some smileys and thumbs in that post.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

I forgot some smileys and thumbs in that post.
    Oh, well, no offence taken whatsoever, it is indeed nice to hear that heavy music is still strong and healthy somewhere. And the bands are nice, also the videos are well produced too (although right now it is as cheap as recording...)
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,553
    Rep Power 536871030

There are so many, and have always been so many, and yet they never really seem to go anywhere, but never really go away either.

Does Royal Blood count? They're not metal at all but really heavy rock. I think they are fairly young.

or are we talking like, 'core' bands? metalcore, grindcore, deathcore, crabcore, shitcore, ballscore, slippercore, etc.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

Does Royal Blood count? They're not metal at all but really heavy rock. I think they are fairly young.
    Yeah, totally count. Looked up wiki and they are young and chart really good in UK. Never heard of them before though.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Gothenburg is the city of Rock'n'Roll. Stockholm is the city of Metal. Historically. Lots of exceptions, though. Like Hammerfall and Mustasch.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

The impression that I've got from hanging in the guitar forum of The Purple Place is that, at least in the US, youngsters who are metallically inclined aren't forming bands any more, they're sitting at their computers in their bedroom "studios" clownfucking everything. IMO this has a lot to do with the demographic shift away from the suburbs (where kids have room to practice with bands in their garages) to the city, where there's no opportunity for young impecunious musicians to form bands and rock out. Most kids can't afford to rent an urban rehearsal space and couldn't haul their gear there on a regular basis if they could afford it. And the stuff they're creating on their DAWs largely sucks big purple dog dicks because they have no opportunity to interact with other musicians in a band situation - doing it all by yourself (and mostly trying to copy your heroes rather than develop your own thing, which you have no opportunity to do, due to the lack of interaction) is just a big wank.

And I don't think it's just the metal kids, either. Urbanization is killing rock and roll.

Hell, it's hard enough for adults to do a band in the city!

Music in most of the USA is dying.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Surfing the net at work every day! Has proof that JFK was president
    Join Date May 2009
    Posts 318
    Rep Power 536871019

Well, let's see. There's the slew of relatively new-ish bands that combine Meshuggah, Blink-182 and modern pitch-corrected pop to form the communal chamber pot known as djent. Names will not be named.

If we're talking about bands propelled overnight into stadium-rock levels of fame, sorry, I don't really know. But there are quite a number of smaller bands that make decent music and eke out a place for themselves, mostly online.

If you long for Mastodon II, give Elder a spin. Certainly not as original as Mastodon was in the beginning, but still very good, and worthy pretenders to the crown now that Mastodon has gone all-out radio rock on us.

If you like doom (whichever flavour), Pallbearer is considered the next big thing, as is Monolord. My personal preference would however be to go with Forn (their album is The Departure of Consciousness).

A very interesting band (to me) is Emptiness. Their sophomore album Nothing but the Whole has an oddly uncomfortable vibe.

If you're more a sludge kind-of-man, Mantar (German duo with no bassist) is quite new and pretty damn fantastic. Their song White Nights is free off their bandcamp page.

If they're too melodic for you, Primitive Man is a relatively new doomy sludgy whatevery band that found a lot of critical acclaim. If you like them, new-ish bands such as Indian and Coffinworm might also just be your thing.

A band that recently dropped a debut and got the hype machine going: The Armed. You can get their album for free from their bandcamp. It's been in my car for months now, and they do Converge-styled hardcore punk very well. Kurt Ballou himself produced it.

From Sweden, try Soen, doing the Tool v2.0 thing. They have Opeth's drummer, so don't know whether they fulfill your criteria.

Then, for the past few years you had many, many young (and old-new) bands rehashing the old Swedish death metal sunlight studios sound. Example: Horrendous, who has garnered critical appeal for both songwriting ability and production values. I'm not a fan of either of those aspect of theirs, to be honest, but good on them for not squashing the daylights out of their material. Example2: Blood Mortised, whom i like much better than Horrendous for that style of music.

If technical death metal is your kind of garlic-flavoured peanut-butter tea, Artificial Brain is doing really well and releasing interesting and well-produced music.

The hype machine has picked up on a band called Ghost, who are equal amounts annoying and catchy. As someone else described it: Blue Oyster Cult + Satanism.

A decent new metal band with progressive influences would be Dreamgrave. They have some interesting stuff going on.

If the French style of black metal ala Deathspell Omega or Blut Aus Nord is your thing (I mean, who on this planet ISN'T into French black metal? :P ), Imperial Triumphant released an interesting album recently called Abyssal Gods. In the same vein Mitochondrion is also good.

Leprous is a relatively young, and very strange prog metal band. They're the live backing band for Ihsahn's solo material. Not my thing, but they might be yours.

Follow the White Rabbit are your countrymen, and sadly already defunct. Endorphinia remains a unique and strange album. Do check them out.

Traditional 2nd wave-ish folky black metal, give Spectral Lore or Winterfylleth a spin.

None of these bands might be popular in the traditional sense of the word, but I have to admit that i find them much more interesting than i'd find any new big-label metal band the size that, say, Sepultura was.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

Thanks for the post) Gonna check out everything you mentioned which I didn't knew, hopefully will pick a few I'd like.

The hype machine has picked up on a band called Ghost, who are equal amounts annoying and catchy. As someone else described it: Blue Oyster Cult + Satanism.
    Yeah, it looks like Ghost is breaking into mainstream conscioussness.

Follow the White Rabbit are your countrymen, and sadly already defunct. Endorphinia remains a unique and strange album. Do check them out.
    Well, I almost ended up mixing this album, sadly it didn't workout. They are defunct for a few years already. A lot of bands here follow (no pun intended) the same trajectory. Few releases, then people get involved in jobs, marriages etc etc. There's absolutely no money for bands like that here, but it looks more or less it's the same in most places.

None of these bands might be popular in the traditional sense of the word, but I have to admit that i find them much more interesting than i'd find any new big-label metal band the size that, say, Sepultura was.
    Are there any, really?
    Sepultura guys mentioned the entire budget to their latest album is less than food budget for Roots...

PS I love French death metal)
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date May 2009
    Posts 318
    Rep Power 536871019

Are there any, really?
    Sepultura guys mentioned the entire budget to their latest album is less than food budget for Roots...
    Closest I can think of is Periphery, of whom I'm really no fan of.

Come now... is it really Sepultura, with no Cavaleras in the band? They still put out some decent material here and there without Max, but I always considered Igor to be the creative glue that kept everything together. I found Nation and Dante XXI fun records to listen to, mostly because of the drumming.

Then again, the new Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy albums are sorry affairs to my ears. (And I know we don't share this opinion, but I thought the new Sepultura record was terrible too.)

It seems to be a recurring theme, old bands that don't know when to call it a day after losing critical members. Sure, continue to make music, just call it something else. And another thing, the playground anger *REALLY* has to end. Most of these people are in their 40s and 50s now. They can't possibly still be angry at their parents / bullies / some vague figure of authority.

Coattails et al.
    Join Date May 2009
    Posts 318
    Rep Power 536871019

PS#1. I'd rather not have Tool put out any new records than finally releasing a turd in 2116.

PS#2. Old-bands-doing-a-comeback-done-right -> Failure. The new album is excellent.

PS#3. Worse than the new Sepultura by miles is the new Slayer.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Come now... is it really Sepultura, with no Cavaleras in the band? They still put out some decent material here and there without Max, but I always considered Igor to be the creative glue that kept everything together. I found Nation and Dante XXI fun records to listen to, mostly because of the drumming.

Then again, the new Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy albums are sorry affairs to my ears. (And I know we don't share this opinion, but I thought the new Sepultura record was terrible too.)

It seems to be a recurring theme, old bands that don't know when to call it a day after losing critical members. Sure, continue to make music, just call it something else. And another thing, the playground anger *REALLY* has to end. Most of these people are in their 40s and 50s now. They can't possibly still be angry at their parents / bullies / some vague figure of authority.

Coattails et al.
    I know what your saying about bands losing members and the material going down, or just different, but it's easy to see why they keep the name, ticket sales. It's already a hard business. I'd go so far as to say a brutal one.....
    I don't blame them for that, but it is a bummer to see a band you like take a slide.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

I don't think Periphery reaches the same level of public awareness so to speak.

The current drummer is a BEAST both live and on the record.

I do like the newest album, but we do agree on Max's affairs))

Coattails et al.
    giraffe raises a good point. The only way to raise money is touring.
    I watched the interview with Scott Weiland at Howard Stern's show, and he complained that he HAS to stay on the road almost with no breaks to generate income to keep him financially stable. Apparently recent report says he OD'd but his condition was complicated by asthma. I definitely would not want to scream my lungs out every night in that condition.
    I do agree that sticking to the teen-angst being 40 yo is looking... strange.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

I do agree that sticking to the teen-angst being 40 yo is looking... strange.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body_parts_of_celebrities_3[1].jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	13155
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

I wouldn't accuse Keef of ever having been one for "teen angst"....
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????