Surfing the net at work every day! Has proof that JFK was president
    Join Date May 2009
    Posts 318
    Rep Power 536871019

Default Re: Where are young metal (heavy rock in general) bands?

I don't think Periphery reaches the same level of public awareness so to speak.
    Agreed. Your figurative mom will never worry about them like she did about Sepultura or Slayer back in '93. They're just not a household name. (Ignoring the fact that they're about as offensive as beige wallpaper.) I do think however that they're good at making the internet model work for them, which is perhaps as well as any new metal band will do in the current day and age.

The current drummer is a BEAST both live and on the record.
    Yes. Technically he makes Igor look quite pedestrian. However, Igor's drumming is very recognisable. It's not super-complex, but his playing has an enormous amount of weight to it. Many drummers rip on him for the way he sets up his kit (especially with regards to the extra floor toms and the angle at which he positions them), but his uncopyable, un-sample-replaceable signature is sounding like an adult male gorilla pounding the skins.

giraffe raises a good point. The only way to raise money is touring.
    I watched the interview with Scott Weiland at Howard Stern's show...
    And yes. These are real people, who need to eat and pay bills. Although I kind of doubt that I'd appoint Mr Weiland as, say, my hedge fund manager.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

Agreed. Your figurative mom will never worry about them like she did about Sepultura or Slayer back in '93.
    Which was my point partially. Metal is out of public radar for some time.

Yes. Technically he makes Igor look quite pedestrian. However, Igor's drumming is very recognisable. It's not super-complex, but his playing has an enormous amount of weight to it. Many drummers rip on him for the way he sets up his kit (especially with regards to the extra floor toms and the angle at which he positions them), but his uncopyable, un-sample-replaceable signature is sounding like an adult male gorilla pounding the skins.
    I do agree that Igor has a unique style and sound. Doesn't make the new guy bad though, IMO)
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Soooo, i tracked a couple songs for a metal band this weekend.
    I used to do this sort of screamo/breakdown stuff a lot, but rarely anymore.
    Can't say that i miss it much, i like the music usually (i'm a sucker for a breakdown frankly, as 2002 as that is) but this time, and very often in the past, the music is ruined by meandering, uninspired, horribly generic, and largely (but with exception) boring vocals.

was a rough one, the first of 2 days was the 1st, and (should have seen this coming) they showed up late, on almost no sleep. we spent the entire day trying to get the drums for 2 tracks down, with a drummer that was obviously wayyyyyy too tired for the job. We didn't finish the drum tracks until the next morning (when he was rested)
    Guitars and bass went fast enough, even though (as i find is pretty common in this genre) they're not quite as tight as they should be.
    vocals up. 2 vocalists. writing their parts. taking FOREVER, and we're behind after using much more time on drums then we planned for.
    One is trying to sing, and failing horribly, it gets scrapped for more monotone screaming. the words and performance are (see above) but that doesn't stop them from covering up anything cool happening musically.
    Nice guys, just hopefully next time they have their shit together.
    Any way, that about sums up most of my experience with this genre.
    I'm a fan of cheese!