Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date Dec 2015
    Location Charlotte North Carolina
    Posts 3
    Rep Power 18

Default Thinking of switching from Nuendo 5 to Logic Pro X

Nuendo has served me well, but it has become pretty bloated over the years. I started with Version 1.6 back in the early 00's Still, I struggle to see how a software package that retails for $199 could stack up against the software I have well over $2500 invested into. Of course, There are now 2 newer versions of Nuendo since I last upgraded, and they want $450 to upgrade to N7. It usually runs about $250 to $300 per update but i missed one. Yes it is a nice product, buy I barely use any of the newer and newer features. And all my plugs are UAD. Anybody who uses both have an opine on if I am gonna be happy with Logic if I have been using Nuendo for years?
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Default Re: Thinking of switching from Nuendo 5 to Logic Pro X

To start, I think your view is a little narrow, comparing the $199 single purchase price for LPX 10.2.0 to the $2500 that you have invested over the years since Nuendo 1.6. Perhaps if you consider the fact that some of us have been using Logic for almost 3 decades, we've have a lot more invested in it.

Honestly, how can anyone tell you if you are going to be happy with Logic? It's a different workflow that you will have to get used to, and there are always users who use both with enough knowledge to be dangerous that will tell you that certain features may be missing, when they are not totally familiar with how to get the same result.

Logic can go as deep as you want it to. There's a ton of geekery under the hood to play with that makes Logic what it is. The workflow is an object-oriented workflow which many of us longtime users swear by, and some people who are not familiar with Logic swear at. There's a learning curve that is always best to invest the time into in order to get the most out of Logic. And, while it has its good and bad points, it is still my tool of choice after all these years.

The software instruments in Logic are excellent quality, and features like Drummer are excellent for getting a rhythm track set up quickly when I just want to plug in, as well as being flexible enough to let other plug-ins like BFD3 take over.

However, even after all we tell you about it, you're still going to have to try it to see if you will like it. Once thing you can do is go to an Apple store and try Logic there, since they usually have it on their Macs. You can then see if it will be worth the investment, time and effort.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2015
    Posts 3
    Rep Power 18

Thx for your reply. The comparison should probably been MSRP of 1800 vs 200 as that is what each costs as a new purchase. FWIW, I probably only use the features of Nunedo comparable to what comes in Cubase. However, since I started with Nuendo, I have just stuck with it. If I had money to burn, I would just get both logic and upgrade my Nuendo license. Dongle free operation also is a great plus for Logic.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Why don't you just get Cubase 8 or 8.5 - gotta be a crossgrade option or something. Or sell the Nuendo license and get Cubase. I've been on Cubase for 26 years and since 7.5 - all pieces have fallen perfectly in place. Steinberg were infamous for putting bug fixes in paid upgrades. Now everything just works. And their priorities are impeckable.

Nothing wrong with Logic. Used by Vulcans since 1492.

The only reason I could see using Nuendo would be postproduction or surround.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Location Somewhere in the vincinity of
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870985

I would second Knastratt on switching to cubase only because it's basically the same software as nuendo.
    Having to learn a completely different software is a major pain in the ass

Envoyé de mon HTC Desire 820 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Great, quick or cheap. Pick two
    It's vintage only if it works. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk !
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Every upgrade I've paid for is an upgrade in workflow. That's why I stay. The technical benefit is the icing on the cake. And with the Steinberg MR816 CSX soundcard the integration is airtight.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Thx for your reply. The comparison should probably been MSRP of 1800 vs 200 as that is what each costs as a new purchase. FWIW, I probably only use the features of Nunedo comparable to what comes in Cubase. However, since I started with Nuendo, I have just stuck with it. If I had money to burn, I would just get both logic and upgrade my Nuendo license. Dongle free operation also is a great plus for Logic.
    If you're spending $1800 for the DAW itself, I think you do have money to burn.

But, I can see your reasoning as far as the price comparison, however flawed as I think it may be. Long time Logic users may recall the $1100 price (upgrades around $600) long before Apple bought Emagic and not only brought down the price but pumped up the value by bundling almost everything that was considered extras.

Bringing Alchemy, along with all of its extra sound libraries, into 10.2.0 was a stellar move by Apple. Stuff like that are usually what upgrades are made of.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

It's frustrating to learn a new platform. Maybe just try cubase. And if cubase doesn't float your boat then just get protools. Having what most everyone else has is a convince not to be over looked.

/flamesuit/
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 922
    Rep Power 536870968

It's frustrating to learn a new platform. Maybe just try cubase. And if cubase doesn't float your boat then just get protools. Having what most everyone else has is a convince not to be over looked.

/flamesuit/
    Ugh!!!! PT's... I'm trying to make a switch right now and it's kicking my ass. It doesn't make any sense as to why either. It's just stupid!! lol.

But I'll go ahead and second your thought on having what most everyone else has. If your intention is to work in multiple studios or having projects recorded in other studios brought back to you, I'm seeing that there's value in it.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Having what most everyone else has is a convince not to be over looked.
    So if most everyone has syphilis and mad cow disease, I guess that the rest of us should get it because we're now convinced that it shouldn't be overlooked.

Bottom line: work with what you feel comfortable with and not give a flying fart with what anyone else is using. Do this on your own terms without any regrets.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

So if most everyone has syphilis and mad cow disease, I guess that the rest of us should get it because we're now convinced that it shouldn't be overlooked.

Bottom line: work with what you feel comfortable with and not give a flying fart with what anyone else is using. Do this on your own terms without any regrets.

jord

I'm not sure the metaphor applies.
    But like i said, it may be easier to just use cubase, but if you're going to learn a whole new platform, then there are advantages to PT for people that actually work for other people.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

There are advantages to Logic that actually work for other people. There are advantages to Cakewalk that actually work for other people. Hell, even Fruity Loops work for "that crowd".

Just because a piece of software is used by a vast amount of people (I do question your "most everyone"), doesn't mean that you should have it. This is a different time in the music industry... any DAW will do. If you ain't makin' music with the software you have on your own terms, you're using the wrong software.

Like the ol' blue verse goes: if she don't love me, her sister will.

Not to mention that I "admire" you for suggesting it in the Logic forum.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

You mis read, or just misunderstood. I said
    "There are advantages to PT for people that actually work for other people"
    As in "are employed by".

I don't really care what he uses, honestly. That are all just tools, and accomplish exactly the same thing, largely in similar ways.
    I don't understand the sort of evangelism you posses, and really think it's more appropriate in the purple place.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 922
    Rep Power 536870968

Just because a piece of software is used by a vast amount of people (I do question your "most everyone"), doesn't mean that you should have it. This is a different time in the music industry... any DAW will do. If you ain't makin' music with the software you have on your own terms, you're using the wrong software.
    I've become pretty comfortable with Reaper and it's like having two left feet when I fire up PTs. So I'm far from any zen like state right now.
    But I know the two studios I do work with both use PTs. I'm pretty sure The Blasting Room does too. So if I want to work in their studio, I have to know PTs. If I want to move sessions fluidly between my place and theirs, it's a PTs session. Yes, I could convert it back and forth, but I'm finding the time I end up wasting converting sessions, why not just learn PTs and been done with it.

You said you're suspect of "most everyone" using it, I can offer some anecdotal information.
    I recently reached out to a top tier engineer, who's working with A list folks in A list studios. I was looking for some advice on what minimum skills I'd want to make sure I had in the bag before stepping out and approaching folks like himself or his peers for assistant gigs.
    He touched on some general basics, but ended with the importance of being proficient on a PTs rig. Saying, *"as much as he didn't like it, it was still a mandatory skill for working in most pro studios".

So do with that what you will. I think there's value in using things you're comfortable with, things you like. But I think there's also a reality that PT's is a thing you'll come across if you get outside your studio.

-r

*That wasn't exactly the quote, but it's really close. Apologies for being too lazy to go look for the actual wording.
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Sushi Re: Thinking of switching from Nuendo 5 to Logic Pro X

You said you're suspect of "most everyone" using it, I can offer some anecdotal information.
    I recently reached out to a top tier engineer, who's working with A list folks in A list studios. I was looking for some advice on what minimum skills I'd want to make sure I had in the bag before stepping out and approaching folks like himself or his peers for assistant gigs.
    He touched on some general basics, but ended with the importance of being proficient on a PTs rig. Saying, *"as much as he didn't like it, it was still a mandatory skill for working in most pro studios".

So do with that what you will. I think there's value in using things you're comfortable with, things you like. But I think there's also a reality that PT's is a thing you'll come across if you get outside your studio.
    In the USA perhaps.

Many people I speak to overseas don't share that view. PT doesn't have the same type of grip on people there as it does here. Engineers are able to work on their own terms. In many of the European nations, Cubase and Logic are more prevalent in studios.

And even with some of the people I've dealt with in North America, I've never been asked to either do or redo someone's project in PT. I've been able to do things on my own terms for a few decades. At this stage of my game, I don't believe I'm about to change that. These days, no one else should have to either.

I don't really care what he uses, honestly. That are all just tools, and accomplish exactly the same thing, largely in similar ways.
    On a superficial level. The only same thing they accomplish is making music. How they get there is another story altogether. I've seen all too many times people purchasing a DAW and becoming rather unrealistically disappointed because it doesn't work like they want it to.

I don't understand the sort of evangelism you posses, and really think it's more appropriate in the purple place.
    Your point being? You're on the Logic forum, so expect it. How you deal with it is your issue.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

I would probably look at it this way if I weren't making a living from it. As it stands I am, to a large extent, dependent on fast and easy compatibility. This is the main reason I started out with Logic 13 years ago.

Unfortunately I am getting more than tired of a recurring plethora of inexplicable quirks (apparently not bugs, for the most part) that seem to permeate Logic, and slowly migrating to Pro Tools. I still prefer Logic for arrangements, however.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Hates these rank titles! Iconoclastic plastic
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

Gremmie perspective here, I have limited experience with Alishad but Logic seems a more 'creative' DAW than PT. Out of the box it comes instruments, tools and plugins that one could use to do an entire album. Back when I started with Logic (on a PC!) the mix of midi and audio was hard to beat. Does PT do midi yet? ;D
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Gremmie perspective here, I have limited experience with Alishad but Logic seems a more 'creative' DAW than PT. Out of the box it comes instruments, tools and plugins that one could use to do an entire album. Back when I started with Logic (on a PC!) the mix of midi and audio was hard to beat. Does PT do midi yet? ;D
    I would agree with this generalization, logic has always been ahead in this, though now less then before.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Others made have instruments and plug-ins. However, it's what Logic can do, and still does, on a far deeper level than most DAWs that set it apart. Ableton's capabilities is so far the closest I've seen to Logic.

Usually, those who believe Logic is losing its edge have never really crawled into the rabbit hole with it.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2015
    Posts 3
    Rep Power 18

I'm not going to be working for anybody else. I am building my own private studio that will house vestiges of my commercial venture that I closed about 8 years ago. I hated PT workflow and I was very much a wiz with N3. But I will be learning workflow all over again, so Logic seems more economical route (no I do not have money to burn). Complicating my though process is back when i ran my studio, I ran Windows XP. N3 was very stable on that platform. However, my experience since on my macbook has not been so consistent. Usually audio driver problems and that awful 32 to 64 bit conversion period. Anyway, I would hope that Logic being a Mac only solution would be more stable?