Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Default Re: Thinking of switching from Nuendo 5 to Logic Pro X

In the USA perhaps.

Many people I speak to overseas don't share that view. PT doesn't have the same type of grip on people there as it does here. Engineers are able to work on their own terms. In many of the European nations, Cubase and Logic are more prevalent in studios.
    Good point. Not something I'd considered. You know us Americans...only thinking about ourselves

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Good point. Not something I'd considered. You know us Americans...only thinking about ourselves

-r
    It's true
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

Good point. Not something I'd considered.
    I see that paradigm shifting as we speak.

I can't speak for other countries, but in Sweden, more professional studios are turning to PT every day.

For me, Pro Tools has a significantly smaller "inexplicable weirdness" coefficient.

Just to give one example, I do my strip silencing for sample triggers in Beat Detective. Slicing the regions makes the cuts happen EXACTLY where I put them. Not so in Logic, which puts the splices randomly before or after the marker. Unusable, if you want to include e.g. ghost notes.

Another example would be the waveforms moving (also seemingly at random) inside the regions as you change the region boundaries.

I still use Logic for most of my work, but I am migrating to PT for mixing. Logic's MIDI handling is still much preferred, however, so arranging will probably continue to happen in Logic.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

For me, Pro Tools has a significantly smaller "inexplicable weirdness" coefficient.

i have to agree, unfortunately.

recently switched to logic from ptLE and noticed the waveforms moving around randomly after doing some edits or dragging the region window one way or another. Even entire comps done the previous day seemed to move around or dissapear completely the next day. quick keys for windows needing to be hit multiple times for windows to pop up, logic remote not working properly, etc, it makes me wonder if we're the beta testers.

hope they fix the bugs and improve on these issues because otherwise its fantastic! love the compressor, hasn't crashed once or lagged behind while recording multiple tracks, works great with metric halo's software, and has some decent sounding amp sims that come with it. definitely an improvement on what i had before. $200 and i didn't have to buy a propriatory interface to use it.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

We in the Cubase camp felt like beta testers having to pay - up to 7.5. Now life is not only fun but also a rose garden.
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

so theres hope for logic pro x? here crossing my fingers! happy new year, btw!
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

It would feel utterly stupid if Apple backed out now. Let's hope for a great Logic year.
    Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871078

I see that paradigm shifting as we speak.

I can't speak for other countries, but in Sweden, more professional studios are turning to PT every day.

Just to give one example, I do my strip silencing for sample triggers in Beat Detective. Slicing the regions makes the cuts happen EXACTLY where I put them. Not so in Logic, which puts the splices randomly before or after the marker. Unusable, if you want to include e.g. ghost notes.

Another example would be the waveforms moving (also seemingly at random) inside the regions as you change the region boundaries.

I still use Logic for most of my work, but I am migrating to PT for mixing. Logic's MIDI handling is still much preferred, however, so arranging will probably continue to happen in Logic.

otek
    Sounds like where I am with it. I always use PT for more audio recording many tracks- ie tracking a band. I also prefer mixing in it, and I'm sure its contestable but I am convinced the internal summing of PT is different and I prefer it to some degree to Logic.

But for arranging and more electronic music Logic wins. I am fine with moving stuff around and editing but I am never as comfortable as I am in PT, but for general electronic music I thing having everything on tap just helps.

So for me its both, and with both I can do most things without too much worry.

I thing since PT went proper 64bit it also benefits the virtual instruments so much more, so my previous argument for why I started to use Logic is less relevant but I have come to like arranging in there.
    SD

--------

"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".