Thread: Reverberation-ing

Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871161

Default Re: Reverberation-ing

As for what you might see in my mixes in terms of reverb, it's usually one short and one long verb for starters. They may be algorithmic or convolution-based, depending on the sound I'm after. Then, there may also be a non-linear, bright/short one for drums, such as the AMS RMX IR's, and sometimes an intermediate-length reverb. There are often other reverbs used for special effects that may appear once or twice, but I typically put those as inserts, or bounce them out as audio files. I also EQ my reverbs a lot, often using very shallow high-pass filters to get rid of mud, and sometimes boosting a certain part of the midrange for some character.

Another thing is that I often use a longer reverb in a "dry-sounding" mix - I just use a whole lot less of it. Brought up on certain things so that you can barely hear it, it seems to work as a kind of "glue".
    I'm glad to hear you confirm this for me. I arrived at the same formula, albeit without the intermediate-length verb. It does glue things together, depending on the "rooms" you choose.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,276
    Rep Power 536871516

I'm glad to hear you confirm this for me. I arrived at the same formula, albeit without the intermediate-length verb. It does glue things together, depending on the "rooms" you choose.
    The intermediate reverb may be useful sometimes for e.g. guitars and keyboard instruments that need to be pushed into the mix without smear. If you use a reverb that's too long, you risk chord changes smearing together.

On strings (or a string pad), for example, I often like to use a room with great size but a comparatively short decay, particularly with complex parts that have a lot of harmonic movement.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

Never forget that what you don't normally use is actually sometimes exactly what you need. Sebofrates 743 BC
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

Never forget that what you don't normally use is actually sometimes exactly what you need. Sebofrates 743 BC
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need ~ Mick Jagger 1969 AD
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Granfaloon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,074
    Rep Power 536871076

On strings (or a string pad), for example, I often like to use a room with great size but a comparatively short decay, particularly with complex parts that have a lot of harmonic movement.
    otek
    How do you define a room of great size with relatively short decay? In an algorithmic sense, are you referring to a reverb with a longer pre-delay (Implying a bigger space due to the delayed onset of the reflections) and shorter decay (Implying a dampened space)? Or is there some other measure you can use to describe a larger space with short decay?
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Don’t think about that too much. It’s too painful.

-Mixerman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

It's usually the first reflections being relatively far apart.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,276
    Rep Power 536871516

How do you define a room of great size with relatively short decay?
    On most algorithmic reverbs, there are separate controls for room size and reverb decay (often in separate frequency bands for the latter). E.g. on my Arts Acoustic reverb, I will set the room size slider high (62m being the maximum) and the overall decay below 2 seconds. By working with the decay in the three available frequency bands, I can have a large, wide room, but still fairly dry so it won't smear the chord changes.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871396

Yeah - the very first rule is: the more boring a tool seems - the more you should use it until you know it inside out.
    Yes. Unfortunately people neglect to do that starting with FADERS
    Join Date Feb 2013
    Location California
    Posts 1,104
    Rep Power 536871001

I'm really digging the new Slate Virtual Fader Collection - some of the models just sound better for certain genres, but I'm still getting to know them all.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

I'm really digging the new Slate Virtual Fader Collection - some of the models just sound better for certain genres, but I'm still getting to know them all.
    They excelled in modelling vintage crackle!
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Mook Breath
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Location Lvl 4 Data Center, Walls rated to withstand explosives
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217856

They excelled in modelling vintage crackle!
    That's a thing? I've been wasting my money on de-oxit then. What about cranky pots?