In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Location Somewhere in the vincinity of
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870988

Default Capitalize on your work when there are no credits..?

Ok so here's the story :
    For the better part of 2015 I worked in a studio where I recorded and mixed several major label artists projects. One in particular took the lion share of my time there and it just got out last month.
    Given the state of the industry, it's selling pretty well and the single get a lot of spins so far (not really surprising as it is a well established artist and it's his 8th album).
    Problem is I wasn't credited on the album. Only the studio's name appear which pisses me off because they get a lot of business from my work and I get shit. I don't work there anymore (mainly because getting my money was a big fight everytime and there were suspicions of money laundering by the owner and some of the staff...).

When I worked on those project I never saw any reps from the labels (Universal and Warner mainly) except that one time a guy came to listen some roughs and didn't even bother saying hello to me

So all this had me wonder how one is supposed to capitalize on his work when credits are nowhere to be found ? Be it my case when nobody bothered to put it on the CD or for digital distribution (download or streaming) where credits are almost non existent..?
    I mean, anybody can claim he worked on anything when there is no verifiable credits.

How do you deal with things like that ?

Cheers !
    Great, quick or cheap. Pick two
    It's vintage only if it works. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk !
    Join Date Mar 2012
    Location The Great White North
    Posts 431
    Rep Power 536870990

Default Re: Capitalize on your work when there are no credits..?

How do you deal with things like that ?
    Well, what I did is used the clues you provided, figured out who the artist was, and then took to Twitter claiming that I'd recorded the album and was never credited. I've seen a real increase in my business.

I hope that helps.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

There is no excuse for not giving the people involved the credit they deserve. It doesn't increase the cost of anything. Why would someone deny giving someone else something that is vitally important to them when it doesn't cost anything? Why must some people be so inconsiderate?

In the 21st century particularly, giving credit where credit is due seems to be both passively and actively resisted.

Passively: Most consumers don't care

Actively: Liner notes tend to contradict the narrative spread by the tech community that music can be made cheaply (or free), by hobbyists, in bedrooms.

If I search the lyrics for a song, the credit usually only extends to the last band or artist to get a hit with the song. If you want to know who actually wrote the song, you may have to do some research.

Displaying album credits

Status: Good Idea, give it some kudos on ‎2012-03-17 08:02 PM

I understand that including all album artwork is considered a premium feature, but at the same time, all people who participated in the making of an album should be credited for their work. Musicians, composers, producers, engineers and everybody involved - plus all the "special thanks" - people, deserve to be credited.

This could be implemented by simply displaying the album credits in text form, along with the original front album cover and tracklist. No lyrics, pictures or bonus features, just the credits. Not linking, but displaying the credits along with the album front cover + tracklist by default, in all versions of Spotify. The complete album artwork could still be a Spotify Premium-feature, with this approach.

This is not a feature for the listener - most people don't care much about songwriters or who plays bass on track five of this album, but from the perspective of the music creators, this is very important - their (ok, our) careers depend on these little things. Being associated with the music you've recorded (or written, engineered for et c) is still a very important part of building a career in this business.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Liv...ts/idi-p/24447

There is an element related to album art that is dying, however. Liner notes are disappearing faster than the printed novel.
    It is a lost art. Detailed descriptions of instrumentation and clues about the genesis of the song are gone.
    They havenít been replaced. Theyíre bygones of an earlier time in music.

Itís symptomatic of the larger picture, which is artists not getting or receiving credit for their work, even if that credit comes in the form of cold hard cash. Digital sales might be on the rise, but as a delivery system for liner notes, the results thus far are less than impressive.

Legally, songwriter credit information needs to be out there. Even Sigur Růsí purposefully wordless ď( )Ē album art has the necessary legal mumbo jumbo tacked on in tiny print. Some artists are opting to put this on their websites instead.
    This isnít an issue with physical products, but as CDs continue a slow, steady decline into the dollar bin, even the resurgent sales of vinyl isnít enough to compensate for the difference.

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/feature...r-notes-dying/
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

The good old daze:

Attached Images  

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870988

Well, what I did is used the clues you provided, figured out who the artist was, and then took to Twitter claiming that I'd recorded the album and was never credited. I've seen a real increase in my business.

I hope that helps.

Haha yes a good laughter always helps

Actually that's by pimping my shit on facebook that I was told I wasn't credited on the album and only the studio's name was mentioned.

Originally Posted by nobby
    In the 21st century particularly, giving credit where credit is due seems to be both passively and actively resisted.
    Yeah. Ever since digital "distribution" (counting peer to peer in the package) came into play, credits are largely undervalued and the trend tends to aggravate as the years go by... And nobody gives a fuck !
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

not sure how you got paid, but if you were on salary, that might be a reason only the studio was credited and not you. Bad enough having to fight to get paid. Pretty shitty deal either way.

i wonder if this is done in order to 'keep people from rising the ranks', so to speak. without credits, how are you supposed to prove whats on your resume? If good people/staff are hard to find, then maybe thats the employers way of making sure you don't go anywhere else.

either that, or like you said, nobody gives a fuck, lol.
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Mook Breath
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Location Lvl 4 Data Center, Walls rated to withstand explosives
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217856

IMO - (So you know, there's no point in reading further ) For downloads and digitally, I think it's partially a file format and distributor problem. AFAIK only MP3's even have a place for metadata that allows you to record credits as part of the song, right? And its only the basic fields that are anything like standardized - there's are some extended tags, but there's really not a good place to put most of the credits into the song itself. And I think if that information is not in the song, then its going to be lost when it gets blasted out to a dozen different streaming/download outlets/ All with their own processes, different ideas of what to capture or show on their website, etc.

I wish there was some kind of law that radio stations had to read that stuff straight from the product - that they couldn't subvert the song info feature of my car stereo to push more adds for car dealers or whatever. I look over to see "who's that?" for some cool new song and it says "Mercedes Benz of ...." or Unholy Insurance Mutual"

I don't know that I'm normal, but I've always been interested in knowing more about the songs and artists that I like. So does my 15 year old. I can't prove anything but I tend to think that an awfully large number of people WOULD like to know more about songs that they love.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

not sure how you got paid, but if you were on salary, that might be a reason only the studio was credited and not you. Bad enough having to fight to get paid. Pretty shitty deal either way.

i wonder if this is done in order to 'keep people from rising the ranks', so to speak. without credits, how are you supposed to prove whats on your resume? If good people/staff are hard to find, then maybe thats the employers way of making sure you don't go anywhere else.
    Of course. I hadn't considered that when I said it doesn't cost anything to give credit. They want him as an employee, not a competitor.

IMO - (So you know, there's no point in reading further ) For downloads and digitally, I think it's partially a file format and distributor problem. AFAIK only MP3's even have a place for metadata that allows you to record credits as part of the song, right? And its only the basic fields that are anything like standardized - there's are some extended tags, but there's really not a good place to put most of the credits into the song itself. And I think if that information is not in the song, then its going to be lost when it gets blasted out to a dozen different streaming/download outlets/ All with their own processes, different ideas of what to capture or show on their website, etc.

I wish there was some kind of law that radio stations had to read that stuff straight from the product - that they couldn't subvert the song info feature of my car stereo to push more adds for car dealers or whatever. I look over to see "who's that?" for some cool new song and it says "Mercedes Benz of ...." or Unholy Insurance Mutual"

I don't know that I'm normal, but I've always been interested in knowing more about the songs and artists that I like. So does my 15 year old. I can't prove anything but I tend to think that an awfully large number of people WOULD like to know more about songs that they love.
    Good points, but that doesn't explain the lack of credit on physical media.

I noticed a parallel to this in broadcast radio. There were dueling promotions regarding who played the most music per hour.

The stations weren't about to cut the number or length of the ads per hour, so instead, they stopped announcing the names of the songs and artists/ bands, telling you to check out the station website if you wanted the playlist.

Exposure is all an artist ever got from US radio, and they reneged on even that

Because the U.S. doesnít pay artists when their songs are played on the radio, they also do not receive compensation when their songs are played in other countries. The only other countries other than the U.S. which do not pay a master recordings royalty on terrestrial radio broadcasts are North Korea, Iran and China.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...-royalty-radio

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Apple Music is frustrating in this regard. Rdio had a button called "about" or "more" that would pop up information about the Band, the Song and so on. But I can't even seen what year the album was released via the Apple Music interface. Frustrating. I like to look at that stuff.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870988

I hadn't considered it that way either and I think it would be pretty stupid for them to do such a thing while at the same time not paying in time and/or properly the guy you don't want to be going elsewhere

Good points, but that doesn't explain the lack of credit on physical media.
    And in my opinion, except for total laziness it doesn't explain lack of credit on digital media. I mean, it's pretty easy to have something display the metadata on any player. It's just a few code lines to add.
    Of course it would imply for streaming to properly implement the metadata AND the bands/artists/whatever to provide all the informations necessary to implement them (and more often than not they don't).
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

The display of metadata on the digital player is a bit of a problem, since few if any players have an option to select which metadata gets displayed and 9 times out of 10 - or 99 times out of 100 - the end user doesn't want to see anything except the name of the song and possibly the name of the artist and the album, if any. He does NOT want to see a confusing and seemingly endless stream of who played all the percussion parts and who the studio tea boy was. Unfortunately media players don't come with a "liner notes" button. Wish they did.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

I hadn't considered it that way either and I think it would be pretty stupid for them to do such a thing while at the same time not paying in time and/or properly the guy you don't want to be going elsewhere
    They might want just the studio getting credit so that if people like the work, they call the studio instead of contacting you directly.

They don't want you to go freelance and take a bunch of "their" clients with you on the way out.

From what I've read in Tape Op, more than a few studios started out that way.

Greedle