Thread: TheAkademia... scam?

Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 716
    Rep Power 536871047

Default TheAkademia... scam?

I don't know if anyone here has ever heard of this, but I wanted to know what you guys thought of this.

Last week, I received a message of my Facebook music page that read like this...

I like your music alot, especially 'Mr. Smooth'. Email me at jared@thebeatxm.com.
    Jared
    www.thebeatxm.com/stlouis

The message had an image for this radio station attached to it, and it seemed legit. Since they did mention an actual song from my record, I did reply. Here's the email I sent...

"Hello Jared. Thank you very much for your comments on my Facebook page. I am glad you liked my music. Please let me know what can I do for you. Have a great week!"

To which Jared replied...

"Hi Sergio Mucino,
    Thanks for checking in. You’ve got a good thing going and I’d like to help you get to the next level.
    Aside from the major record labels, there are other organizations that can help you to secure significant airplay. Lately, we’ve been receiving some of our best music from The Akademia Music Awards. This company is covering the cost to get artists not only on WBTS ‘The Beat’ St. Louis, but on an extended network of stations worldwide. Therefore, you may want to consider submitting your music to them at www.theakademia.com. Just a thought.
    I hope that this is helpful. Please keep me posted on your success and thanks for tuning in!
    Sincerely,
    Jared Stewart
    Program Director
    WBTS ‘The Beat’ St. Louis
    www.thebeatxm.com/stlouis"

I had been contacted once by a radio station to allow them to play my music (which I did), but in this case, it felt a bit weird. The first sign of "hhhhmmmm" was the fact that they used my full name to open up the conversation (given that I was using Jared's first name). Anyway, I decided to check out the website.
    Turns out to be a website that claims wants to help musicians... for a fee. You need to submit your music (at a price) for them to "evaluate it" and determine how to best help you. They even have a panel of people working at the company here...

http://www.theakademia.com/submit/

Anyway. The whole "pay to be heard" things has always been accompanied by alarm sounds in my head. So I decided to Google for Jared and his radio station. No convincing results. I Googled again for the radio station and The Akademia. And I found this very interesting thread in Reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMus..._music_awards/

So, first, it seems that they have this very generic way of contacting artists. Second, the actual existence of these radio stations seems to be unclear. An interesting thing is that this Anwar Najmi person did comment quite a bit on the Reddit thread stating that all the "con" claims are false, and trying to explain his "business model". Which makes it look less like a scam, more like a dubious enterprise.

Anyway... has anyone here heard of these guys before? I'm obviously just going to delete their post on my page and ignore all this, but before doing so, I wondered if anyone had any previous experiences with them, or any opinions about the legitimacy of such a "business model".

Cheers all!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

Default Re: TheAkademia... scam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBTS

The WBTS call letters are assigned to a low power station in New York. (WBTS-LP)

Since to my knowledge the FCC does not assign the same call letters to stations in different areas or owned by different entities I's say that's a pretty fair indication that it's a scam.

In fact, the only instances I know of where call letters are used by more than one transmitter are when the same company operates TV, FM and/or AM radio stations under blanket ownership.

[QUOTE = Wikipedia]
    • WBTS-LP, a low-power radio station (88.5 FM) licensed to serve Redwood, New York, United States
    • WSBB-FM, a radio station (95.5 FM) licensed to Doraville, Georgia, United States, which held the call sign WBTS from October 1999 until October 2010
    • WGNQ, a radio station (1480 AM) licensed to Bridgeport, Alabama, United States, which held the call sign WBTS until November 1998

[/QUOTE]

Doing a license search by call letters on the FCC website returns no exact match.

And isn't soliciting payment for radio placement illegal under the payola laws?
    Last edited by John Eppstein; January 24th, 2016 at 03:46 AM.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,623
    Rep Power 536871428

That smells like a scam.

I ran across an interesting article on music scams just this morning:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/01/21/70725/
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

That smells like a scam.

I ran across an interesting article on music scams just this morning:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/01/21/70725/
    read the article, and couldn't help reminiscing my own experiences, lol.

When i played live a bunch of years back, every once in a while, we were approached to play these 'showcases', where you had to sell you're own tickets to play. Your time slot depended on the amount of tickets you sold. Anyway, we ended up selling a decent amount and were told we would be playing at a decent time (before 11)

After waiting till 11, then till 1, then eventually until 2, we finally got to play...to a whopping 10 people. the scary thing was there was still 5 bands to go. After the first one, the promoter said we were good and said we would be given a better slot the next time around. Being naive, we did it twice more. Both ended up the same as the first.

Not very encouraging, but live and learn i suppose. theres always gonna be dickholes out there looking to capitalize on your aspirations. Sadly, seems like their model works, otherwise we still wouldn't be hearing about this kinda bullshit. The only difference is its spread to your email, instead of some guy lurking at a random show.
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 716
    Rep Power 536871047

Looks like I played for the same showcase! I had the exact same experience. Did it once, and I quickly realized that I was a lot better off by booking my own shows. I've rented a small venue a couple of times and looked for opening bands for our shows. It's been a lot better that way.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,556
    Rep Power 2500000000

This arrived in my inbox today.

Name:  Akademia.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  46.3 KB

Hey Akademia.com, don't make me laugh.

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

Mine too!
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers Epiphone to Gibson
    Join Date Apr 2009
    Location 36-9'56"n/86-47'3"w
    Posts 387
    Rep Power 536871024

This arrived in my inbox today.

Name:  Akademia.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  46.3 KB

Hey Akademia.com, don't make me laugh.

Mixerman
    I remember when I was young a lawyer friend of my grandmother joking about "Further action" and "options available" with him saying usually that meant they were planning on the do diddly shit option.
    Rednecks call me a Tree Hugger and Tree Huggers call me a Redneck...I must be doing something right to piss everyone off.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871031

I remember when I was young a lawyer friend of my grandmother joking about "Further action" and "options available" with him saying usually that meant they were planning on the do diddly shit option.
    as someone who works in the legal world...

yeah, it's complete nonsense. All of these 'threats' are the same, just designed to scare people who have not had experience being sued before. It also makes them look like the scam artists they are.
    TAP TO MASTER