Thread: A Question for Mixers regarding tracking

Join Date Jan 2016
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 17

Clown A Question for Mixers regarding tracking

Howdy, I have a quick question for you guys.

Lets say you were hired to mix an Acoustic song, just one vox and one or two guitars. The person who hired you also gave you a reference track for the sound he/she is after.

Would it be helpful to have a DI and room mic track along with Stereo SDCS that you could fiddle with for colour/tone? Would the extra DI/room mic options be a benefit or a pitfall? Curious as to your reasoning as well.

Thanks for your time.
    From New Jersey...and admits it! Familiar with term 'Court appointed attorney'
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

Default Re: A Question for Mixers regarding tracking

I'm not an expert but I think a room mic never hurts to have. Ultimately I think it depends on what they're going for and what the reference track sounds like. If they want a natural 'in a room' type of sound then I don't think a DI would be very helpful.

Really, I think your question is a little too vague to give a helpful answer to, but if you're tracking and you're unsure then maybe more options is better. If you're mixing and you're unsure, then maybe less options is better. I'm curious what others say though.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

does the 'reference track'/model have noticeably roomy guitars?

the idea is to record it so that it sounds the way you want.
    don't expect the mixer to "make" the sound
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Default A Question for Mixers regarding tracking

Yes, it couldn't hurt. Though I'm not sure I've ever used a di on an acoustic in a non-live environment, ever.
    But the room especially might be nice.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

Seriously, the person who "mixes" something like this should be the person who records the track.

That's because 95% of the mixing is done during tracking and it it's tracked by a monkey, even a monkey with far too many microphones and gizmos, you'll never be able to "fix" the monkeyshines.

There are matters you haven't mentioned that are important (is the singer also one of the guitar players?), but basically if you don't get it right going in you're screwed, because something like this is so simple that the tracking does it all.

From my POV this should probably be a 2 or 3 mic tracking session with none of the mics except possibly the vocal too close to the sources (this can be elaborated on but it's late, I'm lazy, and I have an early tracking session tomorrow),. and the result of the tracking session should more or less yield a "broomstick" mix.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

I think it's about making sure that everyone has realistic expectations.

The viability of the reference track as, well, a reference track, lies to a large extent with whomever is recording it. An SM-57 on a $200 acoustic will never, ever sound like a Windham Hill recording of Michael Hedges, no matter what you do to it in mix.

One fruitful approach might be to sit down with the artist ahead of time, listen to the reference track, and discuss what might be needed to approximate that sound.

As always, reference or not, it is always better to get as close as possible to what you want in tracking. If I were doing a session with two guitars and a vocal, recorded live in a good room, my approach would probably be one mic on each instrument, plus some kind of room setup (mono or stereo). I would then set the recording levels by way of preamp gain, so that the balance with all faders at unity (and the panning) would be as close as possible to what I wanted in the finished result.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

On the subject of a DI - what type of pickup is in the guitar? Most typical under saddle piezo pickups are pretty horrible, with an upper midrange "quack" that really can't be EQed or compressed out. I really can't imagine using one for any serious type of recording. There are better pickup systems though, some using an internal PZM that sound quite decent, although I still don't know if would record with one if decent mics were available, the possible exception being if the guitar in question was being played by the singer and separation was an issue.

Do you know what kind of guitars are involved?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????