Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Default Should you copyright before it get's played live?

I was curious as to how important (if at all) it was to make sure you had copyrights on a song before you played it out live.

I just started playing with some guys last month. The set list is their first album and a couple of covers. I suggested rather than adding a couple more covers to fill out a longer set, throw in a couple of the new songs to see what kind of reaction they get. They are working on another album, so they've got a handful decent ones to chose from.
    You'd have thought I asked them to jump off a building ... and the reason was they didn't have copyrights on the songs yet. That was a huge risk in their mind.

Their audiences right now are their moms, wives and the fairly disinterested bartender. I couldn't have imagined that being an issue. But I didn't know one way or the other so I said okay and moved along.
    It struck me as odd. Seemed really unlikely to be an issue, but maybe there's something to it? I was wondering what you guys thought.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Default Re: Should you copyright before it get's played live?

I should add that I understand you own the rights to that song the moment you create it. This is more about the worry to have it registered with the .gov
    Should you be worried about getting that done before you put a song into your set.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

Where would it be being played? What type and size venues? What are the odds of a video of the performance showing up on Youtube or a local TV broadcast?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

The next couple of shows are at local bars. One might draw 5-10 people (outside family/friends). The other is a little bigger, might draw 15-20?

Given the prevalence of phones with video and the ease of posting it, I'll give that at least a 50/50 chance. Local TV broadcast ... not likely. Perhaps if there was a riot to get me off stage or something??

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

The next couple of shows are at local bars. One might draw 5-10 people (outside family/friends). The other is a little bigger, might draw 15-20?

Given the prevalence of phones with video and the ease of posting it, I'll give that at least a 50/50 chance. Local TV broadcast ... not likely. Perhaps if there was a riot to get me off stage or something??

-r

Under those circumstances I don't think it's all that important. However somebody else may know more.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Thanks John

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Stanwood Wa.
    Posts 1,285
    Rep Power 536871083

People should be happy to have somebody actually have a hit with one of your uncopywritten songs.

Because A. It ain't gonna happen.

buy a powerball ticket instead, your odds are better.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

You can copyright collections of songs as one ifem to save cost.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

People should be happy to have somebody actually have a hit with one of your uncopywritten songs.

Because A. It ain't gonna happen.

buy a powerball ticket instead, your odds are better.
    Agreed... it seemed kind of misguided. But I'm hardly an authority so I thought I'd check my sanity first.

These guys are interesting for sure. Early 20's, well intended, but they definitely got issues with putting their world tour before the horse. For instance... neither of them have a tuner pedal in their chain. They literally have 10k worth of guitars, amps and effects (the guitarist talked his parents into busting his college fund, idiot) but neither of them have a tuner pedal.
    They share a Snark at practice and typically play way out of tune live. But I've come to like them.

It's fun trying to help them see where they are spinning their wheels. I get to apply the theory I'm learning here and watch it help them. Hopefully all of us are benefiting form it.
    ...and they haven't cough on to how bad I am on bass, so that's nice.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871031

These guys are interesting for sure. Early 20's, well intended, but they definitely got issues with putting their world tour before the horse. For instance... neither of them have a tuner pedal in their chain. They literally have 10k worth of guitars, amps and effects (the guitarist talked his parents into busting his college fund, idiot) but neither of them have a tuner pedal.
    They share a Snark at practice and typically play way out of tune live. But I've come to like them.

-r
    hey if it's punk rock you don't need to tune
    TAP TO MASTER