Thread: Amp trade #2

Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Default Amp trade #2

So, continuing on.
    Now I can trade (my evh 5150 iii) for a Barron dhg k88 or possibly a orange th100. (If he likes how the evh plays with his pedals)
    The baron is really likes by some, and the build looks good. (And I'm a sucker for small shops like this)
    On the other hand the Orange is a known commodity and could easily be traded or sold in the future.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,750
    Rep Power 536871394

Default Re: Amp trade #2

So, continuing on.
    Now I can trade (my evh 5150 iii) for a Barron dhg k88 or possibly a orange th100. (If he likes how the evh plays with his pedals)
    The baron is really likes by some, and the build looks good. (And I'm a sucker for small shops like this)
    On the other hand the Orange is a known commodity and could easily be traded or sold in the future.
    I haven't heard it, but that Baron looks really nice, and it's hand wired, point to point, which is a big plus in my book. If you like the way it sounds, go for it!
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

I'm leaning towards the Baron for sure.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,750
    Rep Power 536871394

The new Orange amps are all mass produced PC board construction, nothing like the originals on which mark's reputation is based. I see stuff from people who really like them and from from people don't think so much of them. My impression from the Purple Place guitar forum is that most of those who like them are younger guys with a general metal-ish orientation, but not necessarily all diehard metalheads. Older/more experienced guys, regardless of musical bent, don't seem particularly impressed.

I don't really believe that your concerns about reselling a boutique amp are entirely justified any more - boutique amps are getting pretty popular. My general impression (as an observer) is that boutique amps probably hold their value a bit better, possibly subject to geographical location and the number of guitar players in your area.

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871206

Orange amps seemed - for a while at least down here - to be the amp of choice for the indier-than-thou crowd.

I've never been a fan of Orange amps regardless of construction method, but you should certainly form your own opinions.

Giraffe, I wouldn't go for the Orange simply because of brand recognition, or how easily it would be to on-sell.

If you're looking for a great amp, go try a bunch then buy the one you like best and that meets your sonic ideals and aspirations, regardless of name or reputation.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

I have a friend who owns an Orange Matamp (ca. 1968 IIRC), with the serial #0003. It sounds pretty damn good, but it has nothing to do whatsoever with the new ones sonically. He also has some sort of hand-wired, modern Orange w/o master volume that sounds good - it's all over the Deer Cathedral tracks I produced (search forum), but mostly in rather non-traditional setups (nylon-string acoustic, etc.), so I don't know how helpful that is as a reference.

The master volume ones are often sort of fizzy to my ears, and I have a sneaking suspicion that their rigid cabinets might have something to do with it.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 925
    Rep Power 536870969

This may be less than useful, but I love my Micro Terror. It's a hybrid tube pre, ss power. Only 20 watts.
    I get a mild distortion/crunch that I really like from it. Sounds good with either my 1x12 Swamp Thang or my 1x10 $7 chinese something-or-another-junk-find.

It's far from a nice, hand crafted thing. But maybe it speaks to the idea that Orange isn't just a metal-ish amp company. I like it as a swampy/bluesy rock amp. Do with that what you will.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

...maybe it speaks to the idea that Orange isn't just a metal-ish amp company.
    The idea that Orange would be "metal-ish" is fairly new, as they have become gradually associated with some metal bands since the manufacturer re-launched in the late '90s. The original Orange amps were a typical Brit non-master volume type of deal (albeit with unconventional tone controls), though never as coveted tonally as, say, a Hiwatt or a Vox - even though they were used by some very famous players, like Jimmy Page.

There are also many Orange models, and far from all of them are high-gain amps - I don't find the sound to be typical for metal amps, at least not in the way you would hear it from something like e.g. an Engl or a Krank.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,353
    Rep Power 536871116

Orange amps can, generally speaking, swoggle my sweaty balls.

Even the coveted "MattAmp" era ones.

Buncha fucking grainy hype bullshit.

The speaker cabs. prove only one thing.

It is possible to construct the world heaviest enclosure...

Only to find out it sounds like cock and balls.

I have spoken.

Slippy

PS. General hatred has returned. It took 48 hours.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Hahaha. Nice.

I'm meeting the dude Sunday about the boar.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

Orange amps can, generally speaking, swoggle my sweaty balls.
    I agree on everything you said, including the cabinets being too rigid (that's my reverse take on the Obama anger translator ), except some of the old Orange amps did sound good to me. I think the new ones have gotten way too much hype, and their various "tiny" amps, in my opinion, are all the rage simply because they look cool and people can afford them.

otek
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Well, I was all excited about that baron, but dude just strung me along for a couple weeks and flaked, so back to square one.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

I always thought the originals were poor Hiwatt copies...
    then the 'alt' crowd embraced them for the reasons they found Jazzmasters and Mustangs and Melody Mkers and other things that became cool simply because they were previously (rightly) unpopular.

the re-issues went from "bad hiwatt" to "awful who-knows-what"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

Weedy, have you tried any of the new Reeves amplifiers?

otek
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,750
    Rep Power 536871394

I agree on everything you said, including the cabinets being too rigid (that's my reverse take on the Obama anger translator ), except some of the old Orange amps did sound good to me. I think the new ones have gotten way too much hype, and their various "tiny" amps, in my opinion, are all the rage simply because they look cool and people can afford them.

otek
    Not to mention carry them easily on the subway...

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

I heard a Reeves 100 and it seems faithful.
    But it's every bit as expensive as finding a used actual Hiwatt dr103

and the originals are built to military spec (read as: like tanks) so are reliable still
    knows every handout in every town Remote recordist...never gets chicks
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
    Posts 635
    Rep Power 536871059

I had a Dual Terror show up at one of the rehearsal spaces we use. It was in place one of their (knackered) '70's Marshall small logo heads.

It wasn't to my taste. Generic modern metal-ish tones to my ears. Nothing like the ones I remember guys using back in the day in the UK.

On a similar "new amps with old brand names" note, at another rehearsal space I frequent, their usual glorious Engl Blackmore Sig. had been replaced by a Vox Nighttrain 50W head & cab. Again, I was distinctly underwhelmed.

Guitar hack with previous. Stand well back. May sing...
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871044

I've only used ENGL amps a couple of times, but I've been pleasantly surprised in each occasion. I wish they were easier to get a hold of (physically) on this continent.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

I've only used ENGL amps a couple of times, but I've been pleasantly surprised in each occasion. I wish they were easier to get a hold of (physically) on this continent.
    They are kind of one-trick ponies, in my book. They have a credible, slightly on the fizzy side high gain that works well for what it is. Haven't found much use for them aside from that.

otek
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871044

They are kind of one-trick ponies, in my book. They have a credible, slightly on the fizzy side high gain that works well for what it is. Haven't found much use for them aside from that.
    otek
    That explains. Both times I needed high-gain tones (didn't even bothered trying out the clean channel).
    It looks like nowadays it's kinda hard to find a (mass-produced, recently manufactured) amp that can sound good both clean and dirty. And I agree that many dirty amps I've tried in recent years are a little (or a lot) heavy on the fizzy side.
    I did like a Suhr (Badger) amp I tried recently. And they're not that crazy expensive compared to the rest of the "boutique" stuff.
    Okay, I'm starting to ramble. Time for my bowl of cereal. *out*