Thread: Will Pimping for Spotify Become the Norm?

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

Default Will Pimping for Spotify Become the Norm?

You're gonna get raped so get used to it and maybe even enjoy it.

http://music3point0.blogspot.com/201...28Music+3.0%29
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549531

Default Re: Will Pimping for Spotify Become the Norm?

For an unknown band, withholding your music from streaming services isn't going to gain you any profit. At best it changes absolutely nothing. In that case I still think it's best to make it as easy as possible for potential fans to discover your music. These days, that pretty much means free streaming or downloads.

If you're a household name, the circumstances are very different. You can do whatever you want, and if you want to withhold your music from being available to stream and make some sort of stand to promote actually buying music, more power to you.

And then there are all the acts in between - the "middle class". Not commercially successful, but with a decent sized following. Again, I think those circumstances are different from either of the other two scenarios. Having some of your music available to stream online is probably a good idea, but having all of your music available to stream online is probably not.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

Spotify takes 30% off the top (gross) for hosting files and shares that among about 1500 employees and/or investors.

The 30% figure comes from Apple's extortionate, Stockholm syndrome deal with the major labels with itunes: Apple: We are your saviors from piracy (while promoting and profiting from piracy) -- give us 30% or we'll throw you to the dogs.

This showed what rapacious, Big Tech could get away with, and thus became its standard.

It (Spotify) takes 10% and divides that among all of the songwriters and publishers in the world without whom their streaming service would be utterly worthless.

I have a paid subscription to Spotify and I totally enjoy the service as a consumer.

From a songwriter's perspective these greedy scumbags can go away tomorrow and I'd shrug and move on.

If you've been following the numbers, Spotify lost $197M last year due to the greedy 30%, and will likely go bankrupt before its pump and dump IPO scheme can be realized when the 2015 losses become public.

Just sayin'

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

Having some of your music available to stream online is probably a good idea, but having all of your music available to stream online is probably not.
    I think this is a very good idea and one that I have been espousing.

"Show them some leg but don't give away the store."

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

Spotify is headed for bankruptcy because they are a pyramid investment scheme with no sustainable business model.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

If last year is any indication, things should start unraveling on May 1st.

May 1st of last year when Spotify's losses were posted. Spotty was in the red to the tune of $197M.

If Spotty weren't so greedy, say taking 10% instead of 30%, the company would be in the black. But the Gold Rush mentality of Silicon Wall Street is such that a normal ROI might not attract sufficient investment. Investors aren't excited by getting a better return than CDs, they want to make a killing.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

I generally agree with Chris Castle but exactly how was the music industry supposed to stop Youtube?

I’m sure all the geniuses in our business anticipated this move, right? Because we’re not going to allow another MTV to be built on our backs aside from the last ten times we allowed another MTV like, oh say YouTube.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

YouTube will most likely trip over their manhood all by themselves.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Joan River's boytoy FBI Agent searching hard-drives
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,470
    Rep Power 536871090

YouTube will most likely trip over their manhood all by themselves.
    In the circles I talk to, that's already happening. Quick precis: being any sort of skilled content creator for YouTube is a very bad idea, to the point that much smaller websites are a better deal.

The reason's this: YouTube monetizes based on total watch time rather than views, which makes it untenable to do certain art forms even if they'll pull large numbers of views.

Music (esp. with video content) might already be disadvantaged for this reason, but the artform that is the most damaged is animation. Animators are so badly hosed by YouTube that nearly anything else is better, except there's not really anything else mainstream. For that reason, independent animation's suffering.

The result of how YouTube sets up their 'marketplace' and payment for content production, means the only practical way to target YouTube as a revenue stream is to produce and upload content daily, at least an hour of it. Increasingly, commentary on things like movies are off limits as you can't excerpt what you're talking about and show video clips: the punishments for violating copyright are very intense.

I think it's three uncontested copyright strikes at once and your channel's removed, and these are NOT 'proven guilty' strikes but claims that can be filed by anyone, in an automated system that allows any random person to claim your content and be PAID for your video during the time their strike goes uncontested: I think I mentioned how once my 'Airwindows Noise' video got copyright-struck by somebody who'd put a recording of white noise on YouTube and was issuing these claims against anybody who had a burst of white noise in their recording. This is of course not a takedown notice: the idea is to get paid by YouTube for a false claim, while the strike is uncontested.

That's YouTube for ya. I think already it's insane and suicide to try and treat it as a revenue stream, in any sense. Those who have tried using original work are suffering horrible existences, thrashing around in a maze of private law and unwritten riles.

Those who have no medium and nothing to say, who are just v-logging tedious and usually screamy personality crap that's worse and crappier than the worst of traditional television, are… okay, about three of them are doing as well as a union plumber, and the rest are starving with stars in their eyes, trying to think about how to be even screamier and more tedious.

Youtube. Feh.