A Kemper challenger. Nice.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location salt lake city yeewtaw
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871091

Default Re: Bias Head

A Kemper challenger. Nice.
    it's interesting that there is a new player in the pure modeling category,
    and one that actually comes with a built in power amp that might actually do the job!

that said,
    have any of you seen this?

https://marshallamps.com/products/am...ode/code-25-4/

Last edited by gonzo-x; March 3rd, 2016 at 06:27 PM.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

positive grid bias sounds really good

my go to for software modeling
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

This thread is totally illegible on my screen, even if I shrink it as far as possible. The posted picture is either wasy too wide or is a a resolution that does not display prperly on the web. I'm using the latest version of Firefox.

Photoshop reports the dimensions as 26.667"w x 13.333"h at the standard web resolution of 72 dpi.
    Last edited by John Eppstein; March 3rd, 2016 at 06:23 AM. Reason: additional info.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location salt lake city yeewtaw
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871091
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

Thanks!

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

Just got some spam from Bias saying the early bird orders sold out in 3 minutes.

I just don't get the new craze for modelling amps. I can understand it if you're in some awful covers band and need a lot of tones (kind of), or maybe for a small studio that doesn't have the money or room for a variety of amps, but other than that why don't guitarists these days just want one great signature sound?
    Hates these rank titles! Thinks Alfred Einstein was a genius
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 215
    Rep Power 301990046

Watched the pre-production video and even through cheap cans I could hear a difference. Maybe as a live tool this would work, but if you really need 600W then you're doing it wrong!
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

Just got some spam from Bias saying the early bird orders sold out in 3 minutes.

I just don't get the new craze for modelling amps. I can understand it if you're in some awful covers band and need a lot of tones (kind of), or maybe for a small studio that doesn't have the money or room for a variety of amps, but other than that why don't guitarists these days just want one great signature sound?
    i agree that I don't think most people 'need' an assortment of amps for a show

but I've said before I have a friend who plays shows now with a Kemper model of HIS, SPECIFIC, FAVOURITE SOUNDING, PERSONAL, Marshall or AC30.

it isn't about choices and variety for him; but about not dragging his special recording amps around the world anymore if he doesn't need to.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

but I've said before I have a friend who plays shows now with a Kemper model of HIS, SPECIFIC, FAVOURITE SOUNDING, PERSONAL, Marshall or AC30.

it isn't about choices and variety for him; but about not dragging his special recording amps around the world anymore if he doesn't need to.
    The 100.000$ question is - is he happy playing the Kemper?

Cheers - P
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

Yeah, that makes total sense.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

The 100.000$ question is - is he happy playing the Kemper?

Cheers - P
    loving it
    plus with a foot controller for the Kemper he's not dragging a pedal board around either
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

But does this "Bias Head" actually have the profiling capacity that the Kemper has? The descriptions on the website seem a bit coy, at best, concerning exactly what process is used for creating your own amp patches, and they seem to be strongly emphasizing the purchase of canned amp sounds.

I also think it's somewhat hilarious the way they admit in writing that "600 watts" of Class D power is necessary to duplicate the output and dynamics of a 100 watt tube amp.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

it doesn't model the way the Kemper does, no

instead, you choose a similar model from their presets, as a start point, and then sample a bit of yours and use their 'matching' software to bring the preset close to yours