Thread: AC30 speakers?

London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

Default AC30 speakers?

I'm just about done making an AC30, and it's time to buy some speakers. I'm planning to get a couple ALNICO Weber Blue Dogs, but I'm thinking of getting one Silver Bell.

Any strong opinions, bearing in mind that money IS an issue, so, you know....

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Hates these rank titles! Iconoclastic plastic
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

Default Re: AC30 speakers?

Common advice is that the AC30 loves the Alnico but I'm a big fan of the Silver Bell. I would hazard a guess that the Bell's might be a touch too bright? I'm currently looking at Greenbacks in an extension cab for my AC30 head.

This might help you? https://www.watfordvalves.com/soundfactory.asp

Andy
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,353
    Rep Power 536871116

I think the Silver Bells sound better. Way more bottom.

Which is why I prefer the Blue Dogs.

Nasty for rhythm but enough liquid for leads.

Just like the original Bulldogs/Grey Celestions.

I hear those things I just wanna start smashing shit.

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871392

I've heard a couple of original ac30s with greys that sound amazing, for whatever odd reason
    But they're rare.

On the whole, the blues are the way to go.
    Last edited by weedywet; March 8th, 2016 at 02:11 AM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

Default AC30 speakers?

I think the Silver Bells sound better. Way more bottom.

Which is why I prefer the Blue Dogs.

Nasty for rhythm but enough liquid for leads.

Just like the original Bulldogs/Grey Celestions.

I hear those things I just wanna start smashing shit.

SM.
    Is that nasty in an "Ah FUCK!!" Sort of way, or more of an "Ah fuck." Sort of way?

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870984

If it's clean to mild breakup and you want the AC30 sound, nothing beats Celestion Blues if you're buying new IMO. The midrange is right and the speaker compression+ resultant tone change tracks the volume knob nicely

Tayden Ace 25s were *almost* there. Weber Blue dogs and silver bells were nice but responded differently - more compression, more breakup beyond a certain volume. Nice mids, but when I gigged them I found they weren't nearly loud enough for decent headroom; I'd estimate the sensitivity of the 30 watt versions to be 96dB/w. I liked Celestion Golds for higher gain but they were too bassy and bright for my taste clean.

Moving away from the expense of Alnico, Greenbacks are great, and that includes G12m-25s, the new G12m-65s and old G12-65s in closed back cabs or G12H-30 Anni, Heritage, h-75s in open back cabs.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,744
    Rep Power 536871394

Moving away from the expense of Alnico, Greenbacks are great, and that includes G12m-25s, the new G12m-65s and old G12-65s in closed back cabs or G12H-30 Anni, Heritage, h-75s in open back cabs.
    With AlNiCo you get what you pay for.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

Definitely going to go with ALNICO, and probably the Blue Dogs. Then the only question is, dope or no dope?

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,744
    Rep Power 536871394

Then the only question is, dope or no dope?
    Pot? Cocaine? Herion? Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide? (Romilar.) (Ask Goes, he's the Lester Bangs guy....)
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

I've heard good things about the Tayden Ace 25s from a musician whose opinion I highly trust.

Supposedly entirely made in the UK, manufacturing many of their own parts (including winding their own voice coils) in-house.

Might be worth checking out as an alternative.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

I ended up finding a thing from Ted Weber which said his 30 watt Blue Dogs are closer to the old 1960's Celestion Blues, which had a longer voice coil and a different spider than the modern Blues, so I ordered a pair of the 30 watt Blue Dogs. UPS says they should be here on Tuesday, and I'm taking this week off from work to try to finish up this amp.

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

Default AC30 speakers?

I got my grill cloth last week too…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458503927.592024.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	13222

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Is the amp for you or for a customer?
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870984

I've heard good things about the Tayden Ace 25s from a musician whose opinion I highly trust.
    Like I said in my post ^ up yonder, they're *almost* there if your benchmark is a Celestion Blue. They're just a little more tame up top, where blues tend to go crazy up top when pushed and give you really fine grained upper harmonics that aren't ear piercing, the taydens were a bit smoother.

Also, I had a pair and ultimately had to send both of them back to get reconed due to voice coil rub at seperate times - the first in waranty after 6 months, the second after 18. This was just used with an AC30, so either I was unlucky, there was a manufacturing defect around the time I got my pair, or they're rated a bit more generously than modern Blues are.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

Is the amp for you or for a customer?
    For me. I don't make amps as anything but a hobby. I'll sell em when there done, of course, but I only build what I'm interested in building!

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

For me. I don't make amps as anything but a hobby. I'll sell em when there done, of course, but I only build what I'm interested in building!

Gabriel
    Nifty!

I'd love to get the time and place to whip together a small class A.

Be well - P
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

Can I just say, that node checking (i.e., making sure I didn't miss anything before powering up) is a fucking pain in the ass on an AC30. Too many fucking nodes!!!!!

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

Just powered this thing up and played through it for the first time just through my test speaker, naked on the bench - no cabinet yet!), and the only problems I've run into were a bad tube (plate/grid short - it's definitely not good to only have 24V on the plate! Even worse when the rest shows up on the grid!!!), and the speed control isn't working for some reason - not sure why yet. Oh, and the Bass control is backwards. It's reasonably quiet, and the EF86 channel sounds fucking awesome!!!!!

On the whole, I'm a bit baffled. I mean, normally when I make an amp, there is some near disaster - a blown transformer, or at least I'll go through a few fuses. This time ... nothing serious. A couple minor things that shouldn't take too much to fix. How the fuck does THAT work?

(If you want to see a stupid large version of any of those photos, just click!)

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

On the whole, I'm a bit baffled. I mean, normally when I make an amp, there is some near disaster - a blown transformer, or at least I'll go through a few fuses. This time ... nothing serious. A couple minor things that shouldn't take too much to fix. How the fuck does THAT work?

Gabriel
    Shhhh! That's the equivalent of whistling on a theatre stage. Never say it out loud because next time you fire up the amp it's gonna...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,263
    Rep Power 489494618

Shhhh! That's the equivalent of whistling on a theatre stage. Never say it out loud because next time you fire up the amp it's gonna...
    Yeah, not too superstitious. I do think I've found the problem with the speed control, though!

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor