Thread: AC30 speakers?

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Default Re: AC30 speakers?

Yeah, not too superstitious. I do think I've found the problem with the speed control, though!

Gabriel
    Dirt in the carburator? Bent accelerator lever?
    London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

Just misread the schematic. There wasn't a dot at that joint.

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Just misread the schematic. There wasn't a dot at that joint.

Gabriel
    Every solution has a problem. Glad you found it.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,750
    Rep Power 536871394

Shhhh! That's the equivalent of whistling on a theatre stage. Never say it out loud because next time you fire up the amp it's gonna...

POOT!
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

Looks pretty sweet, so far.

However, you labeled it wrong.

It isn't supposed to be bright, pretty smart, or precocious.

The word is 'brilliant'. BRILLIANT!!

Actually, I think I see what you did there. You added a couple of toggle switches in the vibrato section, so you couldn't fit 'brilliant' into the shorter volume section without downsizing the lettering.

I don't know if I'd call that brilliant, but it isn't a bad idea. I think the vibrato noise is impossible to eliminate in at least one configuration.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tbx_cp13[1].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	13241  

Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

I see you added a 'depth' control. Is the speed contol a selector switch, like the original, or a pot?

Dirt in the carburator? Bent accelerator lever?
    Sounds like the throttle linkage, aggravated by a lead boot and a loose nut behind the wheel.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

I see you added a 'depth' control. Is the speed contol a selector switch, like the original, or a pot?
    It's a pot. More control that way. Not sure how much use the Vibe/Trem channel will get though, as I really like the Empress Tremolo2 I got for Christmas.

There is, by the way, a depth pot on the original design - it's just tucked away inside where the player can't get to it. I say, POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

It's a pot. More control that way. Not sure how much use the Vibe/Trem channel will get though, as I really like the Empress Tremolo2 I got for Christmas.

There is, by the way, a depth pot on the original design - it's just tucked away inside where the player can't get to it. I say, POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
    Interesting. I didn't know that. Most of the guitar amps at nobby road have tremolo, and the speed is adjusted with a pot. The vibrato on theAC30 is unique, though. It isn't mixed in too wet -- it just adds a little phase shifty swirliness to the sound.

A pot on the tremolo allows you to get the in-between speeds so you can get the proper seasoning for a spaghetti western soundtrack, or you can match the tempo of the song a la Crimson and Clover.

Particularly critical at the end when TJ is singing through the guitar amp. Psychedelic, man

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

A pot on the tremolo allows you to get the in-between speeds so you can get the proper seasoning for a spaghetti western soundtrack, or you can match the tempo of the song a la Crimson and Clover.

Particularly critical at the end when TJ is singing through the guitar amp. Psychedelic, man

One of the reasons to love the Empress Tremolo (1 or squared) tap tempo. And it sounds great, too. With the Squared, you can sync it to MIDI clock. And while I COULD build that into an amp (and may one day), this fucker is complicated enough as it is! (Though, if I ever DO build another one, it will definitely have a solid state oscillator!)

There are, of course, plenty of tap tremolos out there. I hear very good things about the Diamond trem too, but the Empress had the MIDI stuff, which I wanted.

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

Got the baffle finished! I'm planning to get the main part of the case covered tomorrow, but right now I'm really happy with how both the logo came out (click to look at the close up of the logo - I tried to find a font which was close to the Vox font, and put in all the lines similar to the Vox logo), and how the grill cloth came out. I was really worried about the grill cloth because of the pattern, but other than the corners on the right (which are just a bit wonky), I think it turned out really freaking well.

Oh, and the purple logo is not intended as a Prince tribute - I just have a boat load of these "Super Bright Pink" LED's, and wanted to use them up!

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

The box is done. Just some electronic odds and ends to tie up now (like power for the LEDs).

Please don't ask for close ups of the box. They will not be forth coming. I REALLY hate inside corners.

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871052

It's a beaut man, congrats. Now get working on the trailer that attaches to the bike to haul that sucker around;-). take care, Logan
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

The thing is a beast! I hadn't realized, somehow, just how HUGE it is, for a combo amp!

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

And heavy. And solid.

A Gretch 6160 is the same size, 2x 12" alnico, 35W. But it's much lighter. The AC30 is built like a tank by comparison.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

I finally got everything put together and working right this weekend (hey, I got a life...sort of). Freaking AWESOME sound. Especially with the right speakers. It's got that jaged kind of almost clean punk rock attack down perfect. That Vibrato channel is just silly, but it really does seem to make the difference in the sound of this thing. I've tried making this amp without the vib/trem channel (because it is stupid complicated), and it just never sounded right. This one sound better than right - it sounds fucking great!!!!!!

Now I have to decide - do I need a treble booster?

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

It's got that jaged kind of almost clean punk rock attack down perfect.
    Since there isn't anything original about the sound of punk rock guitar, I assume you mean early to mid 1960s. Which is what it would sound like if you did everything right.

That Vibrato channel is just silly, but it really does seem to make the difference in the sound of this thing.
    On the TBX, it has 3 speeds. I just fired it up and plugged into the vib-trem channel and was reminded why I never use it. If it had variable speed it might be better. I'd like to hear it go slow, like a Leslie set to "chorale". They ditched it when they started making them in China because it about doubled the cost of manufacture, and put in a reverb, which most people would find more useful.
    I've tried making this amp without the vib/trem channel (because it is stupid complicated), and it just never sounded right. This one sound better than right - it sounds fucking great!!!!!!
    You must've done something wrong

Chet Atkins thought the Gretch 6160 needed one. So it has a "super treble brillance" switch. I switch it on and it immediately increases the self noise substantially.

It also has a mono phono input. And an "electronic tuner system" which I initially laughed at, until I turned it on. At first I thought it didn't work, but it has its separate circuit with a 12ax7 that needed to warm up. It puts out an 'A' tone, adjustable for pitch and loudness, works great!

But, I digress. The answer is, nah. Not for any guitar I've tried. IMO the only tube amps I've heard that I didn't think had enough treble were 10w and under bedroom amps from the mid '60s.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	13274  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	13275  

Greedle
    Comfortably dumb Eventually replaced hamsters with groundhogs
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,259
    Rep Power 536871059

Definitely!
    Go the extra inch to slap a treble booster together, after building this beauty!

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

But, I digress. The answer is, nah. Not for any guitar I've tried. IMO the only tube amps I've heard that I didn't think had enough treble were 10w and under bedroom amps from the mid '60s.

I'm gonna ignore the bs about punk, and just say that a treble booster on an AC30 has nothing to do with adding treble. It's a gain shaping thing. See Brian May.

Gabriel

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

Richard Pryor
    Comfortably dumb Eventually replaced hamsters with groundhogs
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,259
    Rep Power 536871059

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

I'm gonna ignore the bs about punk
    Enlighten me. Give me some examples of original punk guitar sounds that didn't exist in the '60s.

and just say that a treble booster on an AC30 has nothing to do with adding treble. It's a gain shaping thing. See Brian May.
    I knew you were going to bring up Brian May. That's why I said "Not for any guitar I've tried."
    So my references are strats, teles, les pauls, several semi-acoustics, none of which have Tri-Sonic pickups. Brian May's treble booster is clipped to his guitar strap FWIW. Not a part of the AC30 design.
    The construction of a Tri-Sonic pickup is unique. The coil is not held in a rigid shape on a bobbin, as in most guitar pickups, but engineered into an oval shape and fitted around the magnets, joined end-to-end by their magnetic attraction, and placed onto the flat metal specially engineered magnetic base. A cover is attached which fits over magnetic flanges running either side of the base. There are six holes in the pickup cover, through which can be seen a piece of black plastic which is glued to the inside. These are simply for appearance, not being any kind of pole piece.

As a result of the random but careful hand wiring the Tri-Sonic produces a richer harmonic content than any pickup wound in a more standard manner. The TRi-Sonic gets its name from the three points where the sounds is picked up from. Unique in guitar pickup design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_Tri-Sonic
    But what the hell, put one in. You know you want to

I'm not sure why Chet Atkins put a treble boost on the 6160. Maybe because the telecaster sound had become popular in Country music and he was selling Gretsch guitars? I never really got into Gretsch electrics because I started out with Hard Rock and I wanted the feedback characteristics of Fender and Gibson guitars.

Greedle