goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 81
    Rep Power 0

Default Got the pre resolved, need a center section. Crane, Dangerous or Grace?

Cranesong Avocate, Grace m905, or Dangerous Monitor ST. What did you buy and why?

If I have missed any, please do tell. This is the last piece I need to replace from the studio fire to start working again.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Location Somewhere in the vincinity of
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870987

Default Re: Got the pre resolved, need a center section. Crane, Dangerous or Grace?

The Avocet is maybe the best monitoring controller I've ever worked with. Very well built with top notch quality components and design. That would be my choice if I had the budget and were in your shoes (which I'm not)
    My 2 cents

Envoyé de mon HTC Desire 820 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Great, quick or cheap. Pick two
    It's vintage only if it works. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk !
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

Default Re: Got the pre resolved, need a center section. Crane, Dangerous or Grace?

second the avocet. although i don't own one, a studio i used to work out of periodically had one and it was great! They also had balanced power though, so that might have played a role as well.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 81
    Rep Power 0

Coolness. I just spent about a hour on the phone with the guys at crane song. Gonna go for it. I guess the Avocet 2a has a pretty ridiculous D/A converter in it. You chain 3 of these boxes together to get 5.1 or four for 7.2. It's a custom order and they have to mod the wiring because you need the four units to synced to the same controller. A bunch of old Avocet 2's are coming back for upgrades (generally about $1000). They are also backordered about 7 weeks. Dave advised me to find a dealer who would loan a temporary unit on loan until then.

Incase anyone cares...There are four grades of Avocet boxes
    1 Avocet
    2 Avocet II
    3 Avocet Remote II
    4 Avocet IIa
    There are hardware changes, controller changes, converter changes, and power supply changes. They are not the same. Many used IIs, and remote IIs will probably be on the market soon, as I was told the IIa's are getting swallowed up in huge dealer orders.

Funny as it might sound (for those of you who read my preamp thread) is that Dave Hill said talk to Sound pure, because they'd probably the most likely to loan me a center unit until my order gets sent. He also said he'd throw in a free copy of their new documentary video if I ordered all four units lol.