Thread: Signal flow/de-essing position

Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 962
    Rep Power 536870971

Default Re: Signal flow/de-essing position

ymmv, and whatever makes it easier to get it done, by all means. theres no one way.
    There's probably a lot of truth in this.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Default Signal flow/de-essing position

well, they can work in the opposite way also. you can always find the annoying frequency and notch it out,
    Sometimes that works, but it affects the entire track, even when there's no sssssssss. It can be a little baby with the bath water
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,766
    Rep Power 536871396

I'm not going to lie, I'm too lazy to automate down particular sibilant instances in a song.

Generally, I see eq and compression as exasperbating sibilants,
    Exacerbating?

"Exasperbating" brings up an unwelcome image of flogging the pickle to no avail.....

FWIW, I almost never use de-essers, preferring to just re-record the vocal most of the time with different mic position or choice. However we recently had a song with a great vocal take except for a few nasty sibilents and actually decided to try one on my ADR SCAMP De-esser modules, which had previously been gathering dust. (Knew I'd bought the damn things for some reason!) Actually worked a treat. My take is that there's a lot of difference between de-essers, and some just suck. What's key is tunability and the subtlety of the compression circuit's action.If the compressor's too aggressive you're gonna get those nasty artifacts like lisping and you need to be able to accurately tune the range of the device's action to the problem frequency in the track.

I forget if we put in before or after the compressor.

The effect of EQ on sibilants depends a lot on what type of EQ you have. Digital EQ does not work like hardware EQ and solid state "gyrator" based analog EQ does not work like a high quality passive inductor based EQ - or like a simple non-parametric SS EQ, for that matter. (By "works like" I mean the effect on the sound, not anything electrical.)

An inductor based passive type EQ like a real Pultec or the vintage Altec/Langevin design that the Motown Mastering EQ was based on are capable of boosts in the presence range that do not appreciably increase sibilance. This is why such EQs are in such demand. This is also why those plugins with pretty pictures of Pultecs in their UI are flat-out lying to you - there is no way a digital EQ will ever recreate the sonics of a real Pultec or similar device.

(Note that there were some EQs made with cheap, substandard inductors that really sounded like crap - the 1/3 octave Altec Acousta-Voicette comes to mind. Little dinky coils don't cut it, you need big, beefy, hand wound air core coils to achieve superior tone. This is a case where you do NOT want iron in your inductors.)
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Mook Breath
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Location Lvl 4 Data Center, Walls rated to withstand explosives
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217854

Turning this upside down a bit, what are you doing with vocals that you only wish had some siblance? The dead sound - like they were recorded with a dynamic mic dipped in molasses who's innards only move if the SPL is over 100. Got a couple of tracks like that, no idea how they were actually recorded and yes I'd much prefer to have them re-record, but ... humor me?

So far, I've landed on an exciter before the eq (so the eq has a little more to work with, and to control what I get from the exciter) and used an expander/gate to drive the reverb - so that there is more reverb tail when there is some tone for it to grab onto and blend in more naturally
    Highway to Hell is for Children Area 51 gardener
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,345
    Rep Power 536871217

Turning this upside down a bit, what are you doing with vocals that you only wish had some siblance? The dead sound - like they were recorded with a dynamic mic dipped in molasses who's innards only move if the SPL is over 100. Got a couple of tracks like that, no idea how they were actually recorded and yes I'd much prefer to have them re-record, but ... humor me?

So far, I've landed on an exciter before the eq (so the eq has a little more to work with, and to control what I get from the exciter) and used an expander/gate to drive the reverb - so that there is more reverb tail when there is some tone for it to grab onto and blend in more naturally
    Every once in a while I get tracks where I can only wonder how and why it was recorded that way. And sometimes it turns out it was the true direction, so I need to find a way to make it work, and maybe there would be a way.
    And sometimes there is no way, and all I can do is make it suck in somewhat cooler way.
    On dull tracks a bit of distortion sometimes helps. Also, on a few occasions (mostly guitats, not vocals though) I was saved by Acon Defilter. Maybe you can check it on vocals.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

I don't think I've ever heard a track that had too little sibilance, aside from maybe one that had been vengefully de-essed by some some ne'er-do-well.
    I've heard plenty of too dark, and even more with too many low mids. Usually the weapon of choice is just eq though, and (much less frequently) some form of light distortion.

But as to the point, de-essing at the end of the chain. I'm back to where I started. It's just more effective and easier. Maybe there's an argument for subtitle nature of having it earlier in the chain, but it's just less obviously effective, sooo, fuck it.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skate America finalist
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 699
    Rep Power 536871052

Every once in a while I get tracks where I can only wonder how and why it was recorded that way. And sometimes it turns out it was the true direction, so I need to find a way to make it work,
    exactly. and honestly, id rather a vocal track be a little on the darker side. i find its a lot easier to deal with that than super-sibilance tearing your head off. there are plenty of 'darker' vocals on records I've heard that sit very nicely. seems like you can sit them a little higher in the mix without it being distracting.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

I used to put the de-esser first, nowadays I almost always put it last. Putting it before the compression, especially if you use wide-band mode, seems to be counterproductive, you have to use more drastic settings on the de-esser and things start sounding weird. I'm using the Airwindows de-esser, which has about the least amount of side effect on the audio passed, as anything I've come across.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif