Thread: Multi amp setups for plank spankers: yay or nay?

Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,265
    Rep Power 536871062

Default Multi amp setups for plank spankers: yay or nay?

Hello everyone,

I've got a fairly new power trio going and we are about to hit the road.
    Now, in the last few weeks I've experimented a bit with a two amp setup, one that is dry and one that gets mostly the time based effects.
    I really like the fact that I get different textures from the amps, that make for a much more interesting and exciting tone even bone dry.
    Plus I don't loose punch and clarity in my dry amp from delays and reverb trails bouncing around, so I gain a lot of definition with an equal amount of over all "wetness", it seems.

Now, how do you guys at the console like this?
    Mucho control over verbs and delays resulting in better sound?
    Or just a phasey clusterfuck of overblown ego?

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Default Re: Multi amp setups for plank spankers: yay or nay?

With (even semi) careful placement phase shouldn't be a problem. For the easiest set up just place the same mic, on both amps, in the same spot (probably center some speaker) and touching the cloth. (Assuming the speaker is the same distance from the cloth on both cabs)
    The phase between the cabs them selves should be fine unless one of them is wired 180 out.

Should be ok, maybe. Not like I've done it.

Some live guys will bitch anyway, out of laziness.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870986

Good lord is this true. I tried a dual amp setup for maybe a dozen gigs and I got a dozen different responses that ranged from the sound guy totally getting it and doing a great job to one guy flat out refusing to mic the second amp.

Somewhere in the middle was the guy who miked both but then only put one of them in the mix because he preferred it.

These days I don't bother, and pretty much would only do it in two circumstances; either when I know the amps aren't going through the PA or when I trust the sound guy, which means he's either someone I know or I'm the one paying him.

It can sound great when the stars align though!
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Default Mufti fap push-ups for wank spankers: sway or play?

My job would be to carry your ideas to the audience. I'd do anything I can to make it sound good. Sounds like a great time to learn something new.

I'd find a way to have control over your effect-dry sound of the second amp if the desired tone doesn't come through from the PA directly.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

Some live guys will bitch because they don't have enough available channels or working microphones, because the guy who owns the joint is a cheapskate who doesn't understand or care about the requirements of the sound. It's not always the sound guy's fault.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,265
    Rep Power 536871062

Thanks so far, guys!
    Has anyone experience with things like amp clamps (http://www.ampclamps.com )?
    That looks like a neat and small solution for bringing your own mic stands.
    Throwing two 57 into the gig bag ain't a big deal,
    so the sound guy's excuses are down to having not enough working channels for a three piece band...
    I am reluctant to bring my two M88, though...

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Yea, I might not travel with the 88's either.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

Some live guys will bitch because they don't have enough available channels or working microphones, because the guy who owns the joint is a cheapskate who doesn't understand or care about the requirements of the sound. It's not always the sound guy's fault.
    Given that the OP said that this was a power trio, one would have to suggest that - given that most bands are 4 piece or more - the venue probably shouldn't be hosting bands at all then.

You're right though...sometimes it isn't the sound guy's fault.

But sometimes it very definitely is.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Aug 2010
    Location New Brunswick Canada
    Posts 127
    Rep Power 536870998

Bullshit. If the sound person is bitching to the client because their boss won't supply the appropriate equipment than they're just an asshole. Just because it's not their fault doesn't mean there's an excuse to be unprofessional. There's always a workaround.
    Andrew MacRae
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

Bullshit. If the sound person is bitching to the client because their boss won't supply the appropriate equipment than they're just an asshole. Just because it's not their fault doesn't mean there's an excuse to be unprofessional. There's always a workaround.
    Who said anything about "bitching to the client"? I'm talking about the client bitching at the soundman because he can't supply 24 channels of mics when the venue only has a 16 channel board and the parsimonious jerk who owns the club won't replace the 3 vocal mics broken because the idiot "singer" of the band that played last week thinks that deliberately smashing other people's equipment (throwing his vocal mic 10 feet in the air and watching it go *SPLAT*) makes him a "rock star".

But who always gets blamed? The soundman.

Yeah, he might "bitch" back at the client, soundmen are human, too.

If the soundman is conscientious above and beyond the call of duty he can furnish his own mics, but who's going to pay for them when they get smashed up? I actually used to do that and ended up spending much, if not most of my (rather meager) pay replacing or fixing my own equipment.

Some musicians, like most soundmen, are professional and will work with the situation to try to do the best they can under the circumstances. Some musicians, like some "soundmen" are just assholes, plain and simple.

And some musicians are just clueless and don't understand that what they're asking for is beyond the capability of the venue. And of course have never heard of a tech rider or communication with staff before the gig.

And then there's guys like "P", the lead singer of a fairly well known Bay Area metal band who used to cause the sheetrock in the dressing room walls to be replaced every time his band played because he thought it was cool to show off by ramming his head through the wall.

I've been called to fill in at clubs and arrived to find a 12 channel board with half the channels taped off and 4 mics, two of which have the fronts knocked off.

"Bullshit" yourself. When you've done the job, then you can bitch.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????