Thread: heres a potentially stupid question

Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

Default heres a potentially stupid question

so i picked up some new toys recently (its an illness), and since they both have transformers in the path, Ive wondered if there is a certain amount of time to let them "warm up". Ive read the manual (for the one, the other didn't have one) and nothing was mentioned on this.

Ive read somewhere (think it was here, can't remember) that some people prefer to leave their equipment on all the time. Other than the hydro bill going through the roof, is their any validity to this? I mean, are you really going to notice a difference if you leave your stuff on for a while before you use it?

if theres anyone that does, your thoughts would be much appreciated. thanks guys!
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

Default Re: heres a potentially stupid question

Valves, yes. My Brauner didn't start to wake up until half an hour had passed. Transformers? Never heard of. As for "up and running" - I've had my studio up and running for years. I think 17 months with just a few restarts for the computer is the personal "record". Nowadays with a smaller setup - I kill the rack in the night because of the shiny lights and a 28 square meter flat (apartement for you strangers). The computer is always on, though.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,770
    Rep Power 536871396

Transformers do not need to warm up unless they have been cooled to near absolute zero, in which case the superconducting effect would play havoc with the impedance, not to mention your liquid helium bill.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

Transformers do not need to warm up unless they have been cooled to near absolute zero, in which case the superconducting effect would play havoc with the impedance, not to mention your liquid helium bill.
    It would be the audio equivalent to dividing by zero.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

It would be the audio equivalent to dividing by zero.
    Infinity?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

Yep - it'll try to sound like infinity. But just for a while.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Yep - it'll try to sound like infinity. But just for a while.
    Paradoxically, infinity is really quiet!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

How many dBs can an infinity of quietness reach?
    Join Date Mar 2012
    Location The Great White North
    Posts 431
    Rep Power 536870988

How many dBs can an infinity of quietness reach?
    All of them. Duh.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

Ive read somewhere (think it was here, can't remember) that some people prefer to leave their equipment on all the time. Other than the hydro bill going through the roof, is their any validity to this?
    Unless you are using a nuclear powered NibNob, or one of the older, steam powered ones, I don't see how it makes a major impact on your water bill.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,770
    Rep Power 536871396

In the old days when electric power was cheap and many, if not most things ran on tubes people left stuff on all the time because

(A) It was believed that turning tubes on and off all the time shortened their life due to thermal cycling (probably true) and

(B) Tubes take time to warm up and stabilize sonically (definitely true).

The habit carried on, even after most stuff had become solid state, the reasoning being that thermal cycling still affected solder joints (maybe, over a very long term) and the life of semiconductors (probably true in the early days when production methods were somewhat dodgy, not at all true of modern devices) and some people still insisted that gear needed warming up.

Of course if you left a room full of tube gear on all the time now you'd need a second mortgage to pay the electric bill.

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870985

You'd make some of it back in reduced heating costs though. (Speaking as a Brit... We had snow last Saturday in Birmingham.)

its funny, of the gear I own the thing that changes the most as it warms up is an FMR Really Nice Preamp. Takes 15 mins before it sounds right.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

We had snow today.
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

We had snow today.
    at least you don't live in newfoundland. 50 cm of snow and 100km winds.

so all i gotta do to lower the noise floor is supercool my equipment? how cold for infinite headroom

Unless you are using a nuclear powered NibNob, or one of the older, steam powered ones, I don't see how it makes a major impact on your water bill.
    for some reason, electricity service is referred to as hydro over here, probably short for hydro-electric. hehehe, nibnob. been a while since i heard that.

The habit carried on, even after most stuff had become solid state, the reasoning being that thermal cycling still affected solder joints (maybe, over a very long term) and the life of semiconductors (probably true in the early days when production methods were somewhat dodgy, not at all true of modern devices) and some people still insisted that gear needed warming up.
    aah, yeah was never sure if it was a sound thing or a maintenance issue. thanks for that, john!

like i said, probably stupid question. but i learned something...you gotta keep your equipment the same temperature as your beer.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

They used to tell you to leave computers on because supposedly the speed and precision of the hard drive blah blah whatever.

I don't know if that was ever true, but a relative of mine in IT told me, nah, he turns his off at night; it's just a waste of electricity. So I usually turn everything off before I go to bed or if I'm going to be gone for a while.

Obviously if you have outboard gear with a built in diesel engine like the NibNob 2000D, you leave it running. That was also true for the earlier coal-fired ones. Once the boiler gets cold it takes quite a while to build up the steam pressure again.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

It was said that the startup and the shutdown of a computer was what deteriorated the parts the most. I'd guess it's mainly a HDD related thing. I'm on SSD now and the startup time is under 10 seconds - but I still like to have my computer accessible at all times. Call me vain. I just don't like the startup chime.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

Is negative infinity really loud?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

Record them and see if they null.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,770
    Rep Power 536871396

It was said that the startup and the shutdown of a computer was what deteriorated the parts the most. I'd guess it's mainly a HDD related thing. I'm on SSD now and the startup time is under 10 seconds - but I still like to have my computer accessible at all times. Call me vain. I just don't like the startup chime.
    Computer??>

What the fuck does a computer have to do with audio????

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

Ordering 2" tape off Soundmart.