Thread: heres a potentially stupid question

Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Mook Breath
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Location Lvl 4 Data Center, Walls rated to withstand explosives
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217853

Default Re: heres a potentially stupid question

I can't say why, but I can testify that we've had computers that were running fine, that were cycled for some reason and didn't come back. Enough to make me nervous with older machines.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,539
    Rep Power 536871422

All hard drives seem to fail eventually. If you start to hear a strange noise or some other anomaly, you'd better have already backed up anything important.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Whatever isn't stored in 3 different places doesn't exist at all.
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871044

Whatever isn't stored in 3 different places doesn't exist at all.
    Never worry. The NSA has a backup service that has been running for many citizens for a while now. I wonder how a copy can be ordered from them, should your drives fail...
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217853

Never worry. The NSA has a backup service that has been running for many citizens for a while now. I wonder how a copy can be ordered from them, should your drives fail...
    Put them on Hillary's email server. Then you can retrieve them from any major news outlet.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

The Brauner tube mics, in my experience, are some of the most sonically affected by the warmup process. I literally thought the first Valvet mic I used was broken, at first.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

The Brauner tube mics, in my experience, are some of the most sonically affected by the warmup process. I literally thought the first Valvet mic I used was broken, at first.

otek
    Half an hour at the least. An hour to be sure.
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skank Muffin
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 672
    Rep Power 536871050

All hard drives seem to fail eventually. If you start to hear a strange noise or some other anomaly, you'd better have already backed up anything important.
    yup. learned that about a year ago. had to lacie drives full of sessions that worked fine right up until i put them in storage. just recently took them out to mess with an older session, the lights came on but didn't spin up. they were, i wanna say, 6-7 years old, but never banged up or anything.

i wonder if the ssd's will be better since theres no moving parts (or a lot fewer?). all i know is that they're dead silent, so there can't be that many.

i guess that clears up my question. its just my first time getting outboard stuff for my own setup, and after a few hours, they can both get pretty hot.

having said that, are there any special considerations to make with transformer gear in a rack situation? for instance, like keeping it away from other types of gear, hard drives, etc?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

yup. learned that about a year ago. had to lacie drives full of sessions that worked fine right up until i put them in storage. just recently took them out to mess with an older session, the lights came on but didn't spin up. they were, i wanna say, 6-7 years old, but never banged up or anything.

i wonder if the ssd's will be better since theres no moving parts (or a lot fewer?). all i know is that they're dead silent, so there can't be that many.

i guess that clears up my question. its just my first time getting outboard stuff for my own setup, and after a few hours, they can both get pretty hot.

having said that, are there any special considerations to make with transformer gear in a rack situation? for instance, like keeping it away from other types of gear, hard drives, etc?
    The moving parts in SSD are electrons. Don't fuck with them.
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870984

My very cursory understanding is that ssd are more reliable, but if they fail you're a little more fucked if you've not backed up. But I've put almost no research into that...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

My very cursory understanding is that ssd are more reliable, but if they fail you're a little more fucked if you've not backed up. But I've put almost no research into that...
    You're right. AFAIK there is no forensic rescue of an SSD. And then I found this.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,747
    Rep Power 536871394

In a word (actually two) ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS. It's the exact same problem you get with old audio gear that's been stored a few years without being fired up every few months, the caps go bad. The problem is that on most computer gear it's a lot harder to replace bad caps due to the widespread use of SMDs in high density layouts (which makes replacement difficult) and multi-layer PCBs (which can make resoldering impossible.)
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,747
    Rep Power 536871394

Very interesting!

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217853

I'm not sure that they are electrolytic John (and you were talking about something else I know) but SSD's do leak their charge, They do lose their memory of what is stored. Yah people say don't worry, should outlast HDD etc but...

(and its kind of a big but, according to what I've read)

The rate at which they lose data is accelerated if you store them someplace hotter than normal (as in, lose all their data in a few weeks at death valley type temps.) So... no storing on top of the rack that holds your class "A" pres or tube gear, no attics, garage, storage lockers without good climate control, etc.
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 922
    Rep Power 536870969

I can tell you that SSD's are not drive options for critical infrastructure in our data center because they deteriorate faster than a mechanical drive. This is a use thing, not a heat thing. The lifespans are supposedly getting better, but we're somewhat adverse to being on the bleeding edge with hardware.

That said... I'm happy to use them for my OS partition on my primary DAW machine. The speed is awesome.

Not shilling, but I use Crash Plan as my backup software. You can leverage their cloud space for a fee, or you can use their back up utility to back up to your own drives for free. It's pretty user friendly and I haven't seen anything problems with it on my machine.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert One of those things you've never really used.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871073

I'm waiting for the next generation optical storage to become affordable...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/scientists-...-years-1544226
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Donít think about that too much. Itís too painful.

-Mixerman
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,747
    Rep Power 536871394

I'm waiting for the next generation optical storage to become affordable...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/scientists-...-years-1544226

Wow! Just think of how many tracks you can stack up in a project with THAT!