Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

Default Nobody can beat me on dumb questions! Were you ever afraid to mix a song that you reaally like?

OK, I had a couple of occassions when I had to mix a track which I truly liked. I mean, I do like a lot of stuff that I mix. In fact, I don't think I can do a good job if I really dislike a song. And also somehow over the course of the mix when I get to know a song it would usually grow on me and I would find things which I like most about the song and I try to magnify them.
    But there were occassions (especially one which I remember) when upon hearing a rough it really did grab me.
    And I just got sent a track like this. And I am nervous.
    It's really good and I just don't know if I can go around building a mix cause I would need to think analytically.
    Also, it's not like it sound good. It's very basic rough and it needs a proper mix.
    It's like, I dunno, imagine you have someone you love and you need to do something very formal to this person, like take an exam.
    Did it ever happen to you or I'm just crazy?
    Well, hopefully I'd get around that and the good thing is that band trusts me and we mixed their previous record together so I know them.
    So mostly I'm just venting.
    But I would like to hear if you ever have to deal with something like that.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

Default Re: Nobody can beat me on dumb questions! Were you ever afraid to mix a song that you reaally like?

You've adapted to mixing mediocre (or worse) music over time.

When you get something outstanding, it distracts you.

If you want a real challenge, try mixing your own music. If you don't like your own music, it wouldn't make it to the mixing stage.

It's not like you're getting paid for it
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

Default Re: Nobody can beat me on dumb questions! Were you ever afraid to mix a song that you reaally like?

You've adapted to mixing mediocre (or worse) music over time.
    Well, that would be disrespectful to music I have mixed, it's just there are some things which just click.

When you get something outstanding, it distracts you.
    Yes, that's what happens.

If you want a real challenge, try mixing your own music. If you don't like your own music, it wouldn't make it to the mixing stage.
    Good point. But actually, mixing my own stuff was always VERY lengthy and circular experience.
    Though, thanks to that I do know what to avoid.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

There's a lot of "good" music I don't really click with but have utmost musical respect for and sometimes even a few really great tunes. Like Stones. Love the concept and the people behind it, love a few songs - but wouldn't stand a whole album. Nankers!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

My mother didn't like Rock & Roll, either. Jazz also, for that matter.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

Well, that would be disrespectful to music I have mixed, it's just there are some things which just click.
    You are tactful and diplomatic, very good traits to have.

Not:

Client: "I know this is a very complex project. Are you sure you can handle it?"

You: "Don't worry! I only have a problem if the music is good."

Good point. But actually, mixing my own stuff was always VERY lengthy and circular experience.
    Glad to hear it isn't only me.
    Though, thanks to that I do know what to avoid.
    In my case I can't seem to avoid mixing my own stuff. Kind of like the pothole repair truck that falls into a pothole.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

You: "Don't worry! I only have a problem if the music is good."
    Does sound crazy, isn't it?
    But that's kinda what happens. It's just that certain music causes so strong physical reaction that I almost cannot think straight. Like I got a kick of a substance. It doesn't happen that often of course.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

hey man, you hijacked my stoopid!

yeah, I'm with you on this one. i was worse in the past but i also tend to hesitate a bit more on songs like you described. its very hard to be objective and give them what they imagined when you find other things in the song that you want to showcase a bit more.

It's not like you're getting paid for it
    thats about all I've been doing lately, and yeah, short of leaving my own body somehow, super difficult to be objective. but at the end of the day, its kind of an 'is what it is' type of compromise.

...and who says you can't write yourself a cheque
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,553
    Rep Power 536871030

I wrestle with this all the time. Case in point, two songs on a record I'm mixing, back to back. One of them is a straight 4 to the floor funk rock tune that I helped write. I've got such a hard on for this song that I feel like the mix can't ever be good enough. The next song is a slower, jazzy soul ballad that isn't my favorite. But the mix came together in about 2.5 hours, and I can't think of how to make it any better.

I played bass and keyboards on both, but the one I helped write is the one that gives me the most trouble. There's a direct correlation with how much I care about a song vs. how difficult it is to mix it. I try to just embrace the fear and trust that I'll feel stoked at the end of it. I've also found that I think about the songs I like a lot more outside of the studio, as they get stuck in my head, so I'm always trying to match up the 'head' version with the version I'm mixing. The best solution I've found so far is to mix very quickly, and to forget what I think I'm hearing in my head throughout the day. Sometimes it can still take forever.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Never made a record...music forum mod!
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Columbus OH
    Posts 484
    Rep Power 536870992

You are not working hard enough. Listen a few more thousand times and you'll hate the song eventually.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

You are not working hard enough. Listen a few more thousand times and you'll hate the song eventually.
    Well, uhm, it's kind of like my plan. I'm in the middle of another projext and I have time before I begin this one.
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

Imagine being a 17 year old devout Beatles fan.

You are recording your very first session. And it's the Beatles.

Ken Scott was scared shitless! He did manage to pull it off, though

Yeah, (yeah, yeah) he was recording, not mixing. But I think a producer used to supervise mixing the way it was done back then.

If you wanted a piano in the middle 8, for instance, you'd splice in the middle 8 from take 17 (or whatever) that had piano in it. It wasn't a simple matter of unmuting a track or bringing up a fader.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871397

Actually I think you'd just take the bloody thing over!
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

Reading The Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn. The sessions weren't as straightforward as I'd assumed.

"Thank You Girl" was an edit of takes 6 and 13.

Greedle