Thread: So, this is pretty fucking cool.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,353
    Rep Power 536871116

Default So, this is pretty fucking cool.

Anybody comes on and tells me you already knew ALL this and I'm going to beat yer ass.

http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/12_amps_8.html

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

Default Re: So, this is pretty fucking cool.

Tube amps are a little noisier and a little better sounding, as a rule, than transister amps.

That's all of it, minus all the hifalutin, fancy pants mumbo jumbo.

If ya wanna try to beat my ass, try not to get your intravenous drip tangled in your walker.

Like the last time.

Some little old lady beat me with her umbrella for laughing too hard.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 925
    Rep Power 536870969

Well... I appreciate it. It's a lot of big words and things I don't understand. That's all you need to impress me.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Highway to Hell is for Children Allen Bean to the Moon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,339
    Rep Power 536871215

Hmm, it's quite interesting. So voltage-driven amp does not produce resonance in the low-end and because of that sounds flat. Why not add an EQ and boost them lows?
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

I'm glad to inform you that my knowledge has been based on romanticised subjective twaddle.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,750
    Rep Power 536871394

Anybody comes on and tells me you already knew ALL this and I'm going to beat yer ass.

http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/12_amps_8.html

SM.
    Yeah, except that on one REALLY KEY point the guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

Conventional tube amplifiers do not have negative inputs, they only have + inputs. OPAMPS have plus and minus inputs, but all conventional tube audio amps do not employ opamp topology. (There may be some highly unconventional tube amps that do, but I've never seen one in 45 years of working on tube audio amps. I have seen tube opamp modules from old computers, but they were not suitable for audio applications - and the negative (IIRC) inputs were disabled for chopper circuits.)

Negative feedback on a conventional tube amp is applied by deriving a reverse polarity signal from the secondary of the output transformer, which has the primary connected so that the polarity of the signal output to the speakers is reversed. A line is taken off the (reversed polarity) speaker output and fed back to the input of the phase inverter, providing negative feedback. You don't believe me? Consult the schematic of almost any classic Fender or Marshall amp (or any Dynaco amp - like the power amp stage of an original Sunn), or most any other tube audio amp. (I say "most any" because some amps don't incorporate negative feedback at all.)

It's pretty obvious the author knows little or nothing about classic tube amplifiers.

Some of the other stuff he says is OK.

So beat my donkey if you can.

EDIT: He also apparently has NO IDEA why tube amps are louder than SS amps.(Short explanation - tube amps have a power reserve above the RATED onset of clipping, SS amps don't*. I can explain in greater detail if necessary.)

*- it has to do with rating conventions, which ignore the way amps operrate in the real world.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870991

All I got from that was a breeze in my hair as it flew over my head.

But I did enjoy the best circuit diagram I've seen. More circuits need a screwdriver stabbed through them.
    Attached Images  
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

I don't know what happened. I started reading that, then I woke up disheveled in a parking lot, holding a death threat to me, written in my own hand writing.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871206

Some little old lady beat me with her umbrella for laughing too hard.
    Oh...you mean aardvark, right?

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

I'm on my second cup of strong coffee on an empty stomach, all the better to amplify the hate. It feels good

Why is it that whenever some clown completes a couple of classes in mathemetics he thinks he's fucking omniscient?

"Democratic consumerism" Is one of those asinine phrases like those typically used by corporate management consultants to attempt to make themselves look smarter than they are.

It's the equivalent of 'apple fruit'. An apple fruit a day keeps the doctor away. Take the automobile car vehicle to the service repair station.

Modern man is so conditioned by his past, that he will blindly accept anything marketed to him, including identifying with brand names, model numbers and celebrities. He also infallibility unfailingly believes in the propagandaised ideal of Democratic consumerism as a disguise for self-interest. Above all, western man remains a contradiction to himself as he will always choose to be right, rather than choose to be happy.
    Right. That's why people in North Korea are so happy. That's why the Middle East is such a utopia.

Fucking moron.

I feel much better now. I think I'll have a bite to eat
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-04-29_105436.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	13244  

Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871028

reading that made me feel like a dog.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skank Muffin
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 673
    Rep Power 536871050

Either i have ADD, or that took a hard left turn out of nowhere.

I'm guessing i need to read the whole thing, but from the snippet nobby posted, I'm lost. How do you go from 2 paragraphs philosophizing about 'western man' to fucking tech talk about amps??? That kind of threw me a little.

western man has been so religiously conditioned that he likes a certain amp over another, even though one is 'technically superior'? yup, thats why i like what i like; good old catholic guilt.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,750
    Rep Power 536871394

Amplifier history overview

Untill the 1970s the majority of audiophile Valve amplifiers were approx 15 Watts per channel. Only a small % of audiophiles had 30 to 60 Watt amplifiers. 16Ω was the standard Impedance for speakers and was later changed to 8Ω to suit solid state amplifiers.
    I don't know where this guy gets his historical info, but amps in the 25-30 watt per channel range were pretty common in the late '50s to early '60s from companies like Dynaco, MacIntosh, Fisher, Scott, Acrosound, Heath, and Eico, etc, ranging up to around 60 watts/channel with the Harmon-Kardon Citation II and the Dynaco MkII and MKIII, and the standard impedance for hi-fi speakers was usually 8 ohms, at least in the USA. It was not lowered from 16 to 8 to get more power out of SS designs in the '70s. 15 watt amps were generally "compact" designs aimed at younger occupants of college dorms or very small apartments, usually as their first "real" amplifier.

It is true that there were a plethora of small valve amps sold in cheap stereo consoles (which included a cheapo record changer with a crystal cartridge with a flip-over needle that would eat your records and a low quality radio tuner - these were more or less a fancier substitute for a table radio) by companies like Curtis-Mathis, Philco, and Zenith, but those could hardly be termed "audiophile" amplifiers and weren't sold as such, they were furniture sold to people who didn't take much serious interest in music or audio.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location salt lake city yeewtaw
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871089

you know,
    a lot of folks can just read this stuff (and others like it), and try to INTELLECTUALIZE why they may like one amp design over another,
    but when it's all said and done,
    you don't really know until you plug in.

no matter WHAT the specs say,
    it's all for naught.

just plug in, to everything that you can.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

I just love a great amp. I don't really care if the inventor's wife's hairdresser had a dog named Danko.