Thread: advice on live recording, bluegrass

Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert One of those things you've never really used.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871073

Default Re: advice on live recording, bluegrass

Being that I'm taking direct, how much room should I be trying to get in my stereo pair?
    There's sort of 2 approaches I'm thinking about.

1: try to get a clean capture with the stereo pair, and support it with the spots.

2: try to make the spot mics into a good mix, while using a further room pair for ambiance.
    Depends on where you place your stereo pair, what you want to capture in it, and what the room (Including the amplified sound system) sounds like.

As you are producer by default, and doing this for the first time, my advice in your case would to get as good a capture from your close mics as possible, set your stereo mics to capture as much stage and as little speakers and room as possible, and use your omnis out in the room to capture your combined amplified & stage volume room tone to blend into the close. Basically the opposite of orchestral recordings, but you'll find you may use more of the stage and room mics than you'd think. They make it sound like a concert, which a live recording should.

Run your ideas by the band and especially the FOH engineer, you need them on board. Communication is key. Remember the FOH engineer has to mix to the room, but some compromises can be found in terms of volume and mic placement.
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Donít think about that too much. Itís too painful.

-Mixerman
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Default advice on live recording, bluegrass

Everything seems to be going fine. Hypercardioids. Less bleed then expected. Room mic placement is a little weird because its the only place I could get them.
    (I have a giant mic stand that's actually on the back of the stage (shallow stage) and it's literally boomed out like 9' (horizontally) over the musicians and looking back at them with an ortf pair, couldn't be on the floor)
    It adds something good though.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Default advice on live recording, bluegrass

It's higher in the air then it looks in this photo. The bass player in the back gives it better scale.

I'm a fan of cheese!
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert One of those things you've never really used.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871073

Default Re: advice on live recording, bluegrass

So, you've had, like, enough time to mix it now, eh?

When do we hear it?
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Donít think about that too much. Itís too painful.

-Mixerman