shit. hopefully this works better.

Attachment 13248Attachment 13249Attachment 13250
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

Default Re: gimme a song

That did it, I think. And giraffe, yeah it was the last part I had cued up. Heheh, got her good
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

I havnt listened to them yet, but the idea is to comp the drum takes. I'd say not a one of them is perfect on its own.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Yea, I still can't play them, though I can see some of the links now.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

Damn, I'll give it another shot. Probably signed me out before they were finished uploading or something.

And I think it was the 4th take I used. Just edited a small section. Liked the snare also. Brass or steel?

Attachment 13252
    Last edited by mclights; May 7th, 2016 at 04:25 PM.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

appearently i cant open these on my phone, but it worked just fine on my computer.

where's the organ solo? sad face.

drums are overcompressed, the snare needs to come foreward a bit, and only some of that will be volume.
    it's a metal snare, i don't mind hearing the ring (kinda like it) but it should be on top.
    probably more bottom in the kik too.

the second part, there has to be a better the drums get off in the middle. just edit or find a bit of another take so it doesn't sound so out. (edit: maybe it's just my ear?)
    there's a couple kicks that are a bit out here and there.
    mostly, the drum take sounds way better then it did at first though.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

I'm sure there's plenty of people that would agree that this is the better version by far.
    I can picture an audiophile listening to perfectly performed silence on his 100.000$ system.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

I can picture an audiophile listening to perfectly performed silence on his 100.000$ system.
    I'm quietly cornering the silence market.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

I'm quietly cornering the silence market.
    Brilliant!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

Guitars are a little too loud, unless the intent was to bury most of the lead vocal.

Not by a lot. If the guitars are assigned to a guitar bus I would try cutting it 1 dB and give a listen.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

The chorus is fine, just vocals in the verses and bridge are buried. Might be a levels thing, maybe an EQ thing...

I'm using green day as a reference since that seems to be the vibe. Very in-your-face guitars but I can make out almost all of the words.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Hope it's okay if I play along at home too.
    Where did you get the tracks for this song? I have them for Dinosaurs and It's Never Too Late, but don't see where this one was... :-/

Here's my first pass at Dinosaurs.
    I left the little bit of scratch vocal in there to experiment with. I also took some liberties with your organ ... yes, I hope everyone snickers at that like I did.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

Hope it's okay if I play along at home too.

Where did you get the tracks for this song? I have them for Dinosaurs and It's Never Too Late, but don't see where this one was... :-/

Here's my first pass at Dinosaurs.
    I left the little bit of scratch vocal in there to experiment with. I also took some liberties with your organ ... yes, I hope everyone snickers at that like I did.

-r
    not me, i was too much of a gentleman.

i think it was a link meloco posted near the beginning of the thread. some database of a bunch of multitracks.

alright, gonna down a few coffees and edit some shit. can't do much else till the evening with mothers day and all. i did do another pass at dinosaurs, it sounds much better, but ill post it once its edited. and yeah, turns out i was compressing it a little too much can't get over how different a hardware compressor is compared to a plugin. still trying to find its sweet spot.

Guitars are a little too loud, unless the intent was to bury most of the lead vocal.

Not by a lot. If the guitars are assigned to a guitar bus I would try cutting it 1 dB and give a listen.
    yeah, i wanted to try to keep them up as much as i could, but after another listen i agree. i think, for whatever reason, i was worried the vocal was too over bearing in the verses. could have something to do with that raspy air kinda sound he's doing there. might try a couple things and upload them again.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Hey Reno, yours sounds pretty cool but a little too scooped. I can't hear what you did to the organ either...

I never realised this would be so popular! I had a listen and really dug the tune, so I did this last night: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t85azaeg8a...leaze.mp3?dl=0

Oh, and sorry about the drums, giraffe, but I didn't have time to go through every take and edit them together, so I just picked between take 1 and take 4. Take 4 won. I don't mind the imperfections though, I think they add to the charm
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Meh, I should have comped the drums my self if I wanted them a particular way.
    I like it, especially the kick.
    I think maybe the vocals are a bit reverby, but that's opinion.
    Guitars could be slightly more harsh for my taste, but again that's an opinion thing.

I should try and "finish" the vocals.
    Please note quotes, as I am anything but a vocalist.

If anyone has any suggestions for the vocals, or anything, or wants to add a track, let me know or just do it.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Reno, I didn't listen to yours because some links just don't work for me in the tap talk app. I'll check it out when I'm in front of my computer.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Cool. It's far more reverb than I would ever normally put on a vocal, but that's just the way I heard it when I first put up the faders. The guitars were harsher, but then after a while I decided I preferred them closer to the recorded sound.

I was thinking about adding a few bits. I'll do that if I get the chance.

Thanks for letting us play! I like the song
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Reno, I didn't listen to yours because some links just don't work for me in the tap talk app. I'll check it out when I'm in front of my computer.
    No worries. I'm going with one more shot at Dinosaurs ... which I just noticed I spelled wrong in my project (jack ass) ... then I'm going to try and switch over to the other song.

As someone who doesn't get a full time job worth of work, this is a great way to work out processes for receiving, setting up and working on projects. I sure appreciate you guys taking the time. This is fun.

I tried to address some of the scoop in the guitars. I also did a little automation on them, to free up space for the bass and the organ. Also pulled back some of the distortion effect I had on the vocals. Seemed to help them a little.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________