Thread: gimme a song

Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Default Re: gimme a song

... which I just noticed I spelled wrong in my project (jack ass) ... then I'm going to try and switch over to the other song.
    It was spelt wrong on giraffe's files, so I presumed the spelling was intentional.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

No worries. I'm going with one more shot at Dinosaurs ... which I just noticed I spelled wrong in my project (jack ass) ... then I'm going to try and switch over to the other song.

As someone who doesn't get a full time job worth of work, this is a great way to work out processes for receiving, setting up and working on projects. I sure appreciate you guys taking the time. This is fun.

I tried to address some of the scoop in the guitars. I also did a little automation on them, to free up space for the bass and the organ. Also pulled back some of the distortion effect I had on the vocals. Seemed to help them a little.

-r
    i love that you went with that really bad section of the drums in the second part. it worked and i giggled.
    the cymbals are kinda harsh and weird and phasey.

i like the grindy-ness of the guitars and the top of the bass.
    the bottom of the bass is a little funny, me thinks. not sure exactly what.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

It was spelt wrong on giraffe's files, so I presumed the spelling was intentional.
    Yes... That was, intensional. Yea.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,770
    Rep Power 536871396

No worries. I'm going with one more shot at Dinosaurs ... which I just noticed I spelled wrong in my project (jack ass) ... then I'm going to try and switch over to the other song.

As someone who doesn't get a full time job worth of work, this is a great way to work out processes for receiving, setting up and working on projects. I sure appreciate you guys taking the time. This is fun.

I tried to address some of the scoop in the guitars. I also did a little automation on them, to free up space for the bass and the organ. Also pulled back some of the distortion effect I had on the vocals. Seemed to help them a little.

-r
    Your project is called "jackass"? Damn! I was going to use that name...
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

I much preferred that one Reno. I agree with giraffe that the grind of the guitars sounds really cool. Did you use any stereoising effects or steep EQ notches? There is something going on that I can't put my finger on...

I think whatever you did with the organ might be fighting too much with the bass and guitars for the low end though.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

I much preferred that one Reno. I agree with giraffe that the grind of the guitars sounds really cool. Did you use any stereoising effects or steep EQ notches? There is something going on that I can't put my finger on...

I think whatever you did with the organ might be fighting too much with the bass and guitars for the low end though.
    The guitars got a pretty healthy dose of mid/high EQ.

The organ got run through a couple of SoundToys plugs. I'm betting this is where the weirdness is coming from. It goes through the Crystallizer first, where it gets a sub octave stereo effect. Then the through the Devil-Loc for some grit and grime.
    I'll pull the sub octave off and see if that helps out the low end stuff.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

so, i started rethinking the vocals today but got distracted fucking off with other things, and eventually did a mix.
    if anyone cares, i'll probably have time to put some vocals on it later next week, if i can force my self to do it.
    in the mean time, here's one from me.
    Attached Files
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Honestly, I like the vocals!

Your mix is my favourite so far, except for the amount of reverb on the drums and guitars. But hey, it's your song!
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

its probably still compressed too much for your taste, but heres another one. no organ or scratch vox still.

Attachment 13256

hopefully thats sounding better. it does over here at least. I've found if you crank it up and nothings jumping out and hurting your ears, the mix is usually decent. I've had success with this in the past, but i guess that was then...

still fucking around with this thing. been a great time so far. can't remember the last time i mixed songs so quickly! definitely sharpened my skills on session setup and so on. just the thing i needed to knock the rust off for the upcoming session.

and yes, giraffe, if you get around to vox, post them up. btw, i don't suppose you've ever listened to converge before have you? the last part of the song really reminded me of them. the dissonance in general, actually.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Default gimme a song

its probably still compressed too much for your taste, but heres another one. no organ or scratch vox still.

Attachment 13256

hopefully thats sounding better. it does over here at least. I've found if you crank it up and nothings jumping out and hurting your ears, the mix is usually decent. I've had success with this in the past, but i guess that was then...

still fucking around with this thing. been a great time so far. can't remember the last time i mixed songs so quickly! definitely sharpened my skills on session setup and so on. just the thing i needed to knock the rust off for the upcoming session.

and yes, giraffe, if you get around to vox, post them up. btw, i don't suppose you've ever listened to converge before have you? the last part of the song really reminded me of them. the dissonance in general, actually.
    No, never heard of them, but it sounds like I should check them out.

Edit: wait, I've heard of them, I just havnt heard them.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Honestly, I like the vocals!

Your mix is my favourite so far, except for the amount of reverb on the drums and guitars. But hey, it's your song!
    I'll listen again in a few days, maybe I'll decide you're right.
    Burned out on it at the moment.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Default gimme a song

Attachment 13256

I'm literally listening on phone speakers, so there's that.
    I'm loving the snare, more then mine. It's all bonky in an awesome way, and it hits hard. I hear the compression and it's not exactly subtle, but I feel like you got it right.
    Your guitars are louder then mine, mine might need to come up a little.
    There's a ton of like 2k in that kick, which makes it audible, but some of it might need to go.

I cut the (kick outer) track because there's this double hit thing happening that I can't explain and didn't hear until I started mixing it.
    Though I chose to cut the out kick because of it, I don't really hear it on other peoples tracks, but I do hear it in the smash and grabs at the end on your track.
    It will be interesting to hear it on something other then phone speakers.

I would like to point out that, no matter how cross it makes some people to hear it out loud, "how does it sound on phone speakers" is a legitimate and reasonable question in 2016.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Take three ... or 8 if you're counting my file names.
    Dianasaurs-008.wav

Until I listened to giraffe's, I didn't realize how dark and closed off mine sounded. I may have swung to far the other way with this one, but I tried to open it up, if that makes any sense. Seemed like it was missing some clarity.

Also added a little automation to bring the guitars up and down in a couple of spots.

I think it's worth pointing out I'm really enjoying this. Getting some near real time feedback on something. I was thinking about how you might be able to make this a sort of regular thing around here. It'd be a balance of keeping some regular interest while not getting sick of it. But isn't that true of most things.

-r
    Sign Here

Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 712
    Rep Power 536871052

I think it's worth pointing out I'm really enjoying this. Getting some near real time feedback on something. I was thinking about how you might be able to make this a sort of regular thing around here.
    ditto for me man. feel like I've been doing some serious tail-chasing with my own stuff. not used to getting feedback either, i usually just live with and dwell on things. nice to step outside of that and try something else for a while. doesn't hurt that the songs were far better recorded than the stuff I've got at the moment.

I'm just glad someone didn't tell me to fuck off and go to the sounding board

There's a ton of like 2k in that kick, which makes it audible, but some of it might need to go.

I cut the (kick outer) track because there's this double hit thing happening that I can't explain and didn't hear until I started mixing it.
    yeah, its always been a challenge getting the mids of the kick to cut through without it sounding too noticeable. you're right tho, i think its just south of 2k...but its weird because i don't think i boosted any more than maybe 1.5 db. i did cut some low mids tho, maybe that was the factor.

and i though i was hearing some sort of 'flam' in the kick at first, but in the mix i didn't really notice it as much. i left it in, gave some more weight to it.

nice job on the tracks, btw.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Default gimme a song

ditto for me man. feel like I've been doing some serious tail-chasing with my own stuff. not used to getting feedback either, i usually just live with and dwell on things. nice to step outside of that and try something else for a while. doesn't hurt that the songs were far better recorded than the stuff I've got at the moment.

I'm just glad someone didn't tell me to fuck off and go to the sounding board

yeah, its always been a challenge getting the mids of the kick to cut through without it sounding too noticeable. you're right tho, i think its just south of 2k...but its weird because i don't think i boosted any more than maybe 1.5 db. i did cut some low mids tho, maybe that was the factor.

and i though i was hearing some sort of 'flam' in the kick at first, but in the mix i didn't really notice it as much. i left it in, gave some more weight to it.

nice job on the tracks, btw.
    The excess 1-2k is a result of the tracking, and not something you did.
    I'm cutting that area brutally.
    I'm e-Qing ten tons of fuck out of that kick drum actually, and not totally excited with the result.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Switched it up tonight. Found a song called Backroom in Tulsa on the cambridge-mt site. Kind of a cool song. Simple.

Here's my take at it.
    Backroom in Tulsa-001.wav

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

I couldn't get either of those files to play.

"Audio error occurred"
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audio error.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	13257  

Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Uh oh. I'll check the links when I get home ...
    Sorry about that.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871083

Default gimme a song

You should post MP3 (or AAC) any way. I know, I know...... I know what you're thinking.
    Still, it makes it easier because then I can listen on my phone, I don't have to go out to the studio and fire everything up just to listen to one song.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Fine... I've butcher it for you technologically-less-capable types.
    Backroom Tulsa-001.mp3

Let me know if that doesn't work.

-r
    Sign Here