a.k.a. Randy Brewer
    http://bespokerecording.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Default CAPE 2016?

Dunno. The last diy cape ended in a pile of a abandoned parts.
    And traffic isn't getting any better around here.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Real purdy mouth
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location the music room
    Posts 1,205
    Rep Power 536871080

Default Re: CAPE 2016?

I wouldn't hold your breath

Hell I'm surprised the lights are still on
    wtf do I know...I hit mixes with sticks
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

Me too, but I'll throw my hat in if anything changes.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

I've not done one before, so I don't really know what it entails.

But if it's just a case of me laying down a guitar or bass part, I'm in.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Given the decline, I think you'd have a hard time getting anything official going. But if someone got the ball rolling on a song, I'd try to help where I could.

I was lurking in '14. I don't know if any of the teams every brought anything to fruition. I didn't speak up for last years because I hadn't established the fact that I suck at most everything well enough. I feared expectations would be a little too high for me.
    But now... I'm willing to offer up the shittest bass part you'd ever want to hear. I could also hack up some nice rhythm guitar. If things like rhythm and tempo don't excite you, I might be the drummer for you.

Call it a CAPE, call it a random collaboration, call it people who just won't let go ... I don't care. I'm in.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

I also lurked and toyed with the idea of participating, but for whatever reason I bailed.

I take it the teams would be a hell of a lot smaller, but I could do guitar and bass. If you're desparite, vox lol. Tracking and mixing seems to be the only things I have the discipline for anymore.

I could throw an old demo up if anyone's interested.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Why bother coordinating teams or whatever. There are literally only 5 of us left here. If you've got some demos or ideas somewhere... I say throw 'em out. Let's see who picks up. Or whoever...if you've got an idea throw it up and let's see what we can do with it. What's the worst that can happen, the lights go out in the middle of making our gold record? Meh.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Is that true? 5? I'll bet it's not too far off.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

haha. It's probably more than that. But that's what it seems like the past couple weeks.
    Spring time... everyone is getting outside and turning off their computer. I'm sure that's it.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,776
    Rep Power 536871397

The primary reason I don't contribute to Cape is that my converters are utter shit, and recently have been developing a number of weird problems that I can't really deal with because the company is defunct and the drivers run under Win XP, which isn't supported by anybody. So I need to get decent, modern converters and my financial situation is currently fucked.

I really should have replaced them years ago (when I had available money) but had other priorities.

Up to this point most of my recording has been to tape, but again, finances have recently made that much harder, and tape does not transmit over the internet.

So now I'm looking at around 3 grand (that I don't have) for converters and breakout cables, if I can even find breakouts in the format I require (my console has EDAC connectors for most of the I/O. If I can find DB25 cables with TRS FEMALE connectors I'm good, but so far I've only seen males and XLRs. DB25 to EDAC? Good luck!)
    And yes, I need 24 channels minimum to replace the crap I currently have.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 720
    Rep Power 536871054

i was looking for a stage snake and was pointed to a company called BRTB. They're local around here and do custom cables, cases, etc. I'm sure they could cook up whatever you needed.

but yeah, aside from getting them custom, i don't think I've been in a music store that sold edac stuff...like anywhere.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,776
    Rep Power 536871397

i was looking for a stage snake and was pointed to a company called BRTB. They're local around here and do custom cables, cases, etc. I'm sure they could cook up whatever you needed.

but yeah, aside from getting them custom, i don't think I've been in a music store that sold edac stuff...like anywhere.
    Well, that's probably because EDACs are pretty much always custom cables because AFAIK there's no standard pinout. Not only are there different sizes of connectors, it seems every company uses their own pinouts and sometimes uses different pinouts on the same size connector depending on function. My console has two sizes and at least two different pin outs for one of them. Also, EDACs are friggin' EXPENSIVE connectors that require special (and expensive) tools to work on them. The pin insertion and removal tools are (IIRC) around $75 each or more and the replaceable tips (which break easily) are about $25. The individual pins are a buck each, give or take a bit (IIRC, it's been a few years since we wired up the console)

For that reason I'm much more interested in finding DB25 cables with TRS female connectors that I can simply connect to my existing EDAC cables that terminate in male TRS.

I might have to build the damn things myself... (Which I hate doing because DB25s are so fiddly, not being designed as audio connectors and having no proper strain relief.

EDIT: The most sensible thing might be to simply do a rack mount panel/ patch bay, keep the strain off the DB25s...
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Mook Breath
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Location Lvl 4 Data Center, Walls rated to withstand explosives
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217855

EDIT: The most sensible thing might be to simply do a rack mount panel/ patch bay, keep the strain off the DB25s...
    Sounds like a plan to me. I'm like a vulture for used gear, and I've found patch bays for like $7-$15 even at G-Center. The most expensive thing being the extra cables they consume when I start to get "uppity ideas" about what else I can do with them.

Speaking of which.... I could see outputs going into the bay, and then into the console as your default, but using the bay to plug a sum'er in at times as an alternate. Is that sputtering I hear? (grin)

To even think of controlling the mix from the box might be evil, but for me the reason would be that my console is a tad old/underwhelming/noisy on some of its channels. I bet I'd prefer the quality of yours, but I got what I got and make the best of it.