Thread: Mac wizards I need your help.

wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Cincinnati, OH
    Posts 44
    Rep Power 268435579

Default Mac wizards I need your help.

Mac giving me the spinning ball of death shorty after boot up. Doesn't matter what app happens to be open. Drive was verified ok in disk utility. Ran the diagnostic test suite to test the hardware because I thought it was a bad ram issue and got this:

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]alert! apple hardware test has detected an error. 4SNS/C0000008: Tma1--124

googled the alert and got a heat sensor failure, but other than that was told just to take it to Apple. Just curious to see if anyone has had any experience with this alert.

[/COLOR]
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Default Re: Mac wizards I need your help.

Man, dunno. At that point is probably just swap the hd.

You just reminded me to back up my system drive.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

Did you put the OS disc in to test the drive? You can't do a full test of the system drive without doing that.
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

There is no OS disk. You need to boot up from the recovery partition (hold Option key on power-up). There should be a hardware diagnostic on that partition that you can run.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    From New Jersey...and admits it! Familiar with term 'Court appointed attorney'
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549527

I've had something similar happen, but I'm not sure if it was the same error. I think the problem was with the hard drive. If you have another hard drive that you could install your OS on you could try that and see if it boots. If it does you could probably get an external case for the corrupted drive and retrieve any files you need. I can still read and copy files from my corrupted drive, but I can't use it to run my OS.

Edit: I just re-read your post and it seems to be something different, as you say it doesn't matter what app is running. My problem was my computer would get stuck on the bootup screen. Still might be worth a try if you have an extra hard drive around.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

There is no OS disk. You need to boot up from the recovery partition (hold Option key on power-up). There should be a hardware diagnostic on that partition that you can run.

jord
    How do you know what model of Mac they're using (that's not a snarky question, I'm genuinely wondering how you know)?

Anyway, whether the OS disc is on a partition or DVD, you need to unmount the system disc to do a proper hardware check.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Cincinnati, OH
    Posts 44
    Rep Power 268435579

Did you put the OS disc in to test the drive? You can't do a full test of the system drive without doing that.

I did. I booted from the install disc and ran disk utility from there.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

Cool.

What does activity monitor say when you get the spinning wheel? Do you have much spare room on your HDD?
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

How do you know what model of Mac they're using (that's not a snarky question, I'm genuinely wondering how you know)?

Anyway, whether the OS disc is on a partition or DVD, you need to unmount the system disc to do a proper hardware check.
    The model has little to do with it. Anything past Mac OS X Lion doesn't have a DVD. In order to run a diagnostic, you have to use the recovery partition, unless you have managed to create a boot drive on a USB stick, to which you can check there.

And yes, I am aware how to check a Mac.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Have you tried running a hardware diagnostic?

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

And yes, I am aware how to check a Mac.
    That wasn't aimed at you, I presumed you did
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Cincinnati, OH
    Posts 44
    Rep Power 268435579

Have you tried running a hardware diagnostic?

jord
    I did. That's where I got that Alert I posted about. Also want to mention I have a cloned back up drive. Still the same problem when swapping it in. Thinking bad ram or bad mother board. There is a tech at the studio now working on it.

thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

I did. That's where I got that Alert I posted about. Also want to mention I have a cloned back up drive. Still the same problem when swapping it in. Thinking bad ram or bad mother board. There is a tech at the studio now working on it.

thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted.
    Let's hope it's just the RAM!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Let's hope it's just the RAM!
    Yea, I hope so. It's a little more likely then the other any way. Good luck.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location Cincinnati, OH
    Posts 44
    Rep Power 268435579

Ok figured it out. Weird one for sure. After having it in the shop and all new Ram installed we were still getting the spinning ball of death shortly after boot up. So I thought. This has to be an environment problem. Acting fine at the repair shop. Only thing different was the Internet. Owner had recently upgrade to Concinnati Bell's fioptics deal. Searching online I found the solution.

Pasted below low what I found:

Hello Cory. I am 95% sure my issue has been resolved. I spoke to a tech expert at Cincy Bell and she mentioned that she has seen this problem once before, related to IP address.
    For some reason when the Mac connects to the ZyXEL modem/router, it will get an IPv4 address, then the option for an IPv6 address gets turned on. The computer tries to get an IPv6 address (even though it is connected via IPv4) and confusion reigns...the computer freezes up and has to be powered down. I disabled the IPv6 option in network utilities and now everything is working fine. This must be something related to the ZyXEL since I have been able to connect and work with the MBP in 4 other sites. I am really hoping this is the fix. Thanks for your help. I'll be back if other issues arise.
    Last edited by PCombs; June 11th, 2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: needed to add more
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 961
    Rep Power 536870990

Wow, weird. Never would have remote diagnosed that!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Wow, weird. Never would have remote diagnosed that!
    Right?
    I'm a fan of cheese!