Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

Default Most Music Tech Startups Don't Know Shit About How Labels Work - A Response To David Pakman

"Nobody came in the door and said, give us the same deal as you give retailers, the same costs and margins, and we’ll make it work"

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2016/...ked-draft.html
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871031

Default Re: Most Music Tech Startups Don't Know Shit About How Labels Work - A Response To David Pakman

I don't think anybody in my generation really ever understood how the music business worked. As in, it never occurred to them that album sales weren't just a measure of popularity - it was making a living. Napster got to us first.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

Default Re: Most Music Tech Startups Don't Know Shit About How Labels Work - A Response To David Pakman

Thanks to the tech industry, the consumer electronics industry and decades of fiction promoting artists as being "alternative" or "non establishment," most artists and producers also don't know sh!t about how record labels work!
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson