Thread: Do's and Dont's of social media

Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,265
    Rep Power 536871063

WTF? Do's and Dont's of social media

Hi everyone,
    I have a children song project that I'd like to promote and push.
    We do original songs and put music to children's poems, and we just put together a website and a fecebook page.
    Now we have to decide which social media canals we want to use.
    I am very leery of youtube, as there is no decent way to actually monetize and control your own intellectual property.
    So, which way to go?
    Do you have tips and ideas for decent social media sites?
    Are there any good articles out there about the behaviour of social media sites regarding intellectual property?
    I've mostly done covers in the past, or just put out little bits of original stuff for fun, without any intent of keeping it together or even monetizing it.

So, which platforms offer fair deals?
    Which are to avoid?

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers Epiphone to Gibson
    Join Date Apr 2009
    Location 36-9'56"n/86-47'3"w
    Posts 387
    Rep Power 536871024

Default Re: Do's and Dont's of social media

Rather than main stream sites I would probably search out social media sites that fit the niche your working in and then embed all my media within my own website. HTML5 has added a lot more leeway in what you can do to your sites.

Years ago I did a Dylan tribute thingie and did well just using Baby Boomer niche social media sites. Basically know who your customer is and go where they are.
    Rednecks call me a Tree Hugger and Tree Huggers call me a Redneck...I must be doing something right to piss everyone off.
    Join Date Sep 2016
    Posts 2
    Rep Power 12

Hi everyone,
    I have a children song project that I'd like to promote and push.
    We do original songs and put music to children's poems, and we just put together a website and a fecebook page.
    Now we have to decide which social media canals we want to use.
    I am very leery of youtube, as there is no decent way to actually monetize and control your own intellectual property.
    So, which way to go?
    Are there any good articles out there about the behaviour of social media sites regarding intellectual property?
    I've mostly done covers in the past, or just put out little bits of original stuff for fun, without any intent of keeping it together or even monetizing it.

So, which platforms offer fair deals?
    Which are to avoid?

All the best,
    the keks
    You should create a social media page based on your niche and promote it this way you can attract targeted audience to your project.
    Shopping Cart: Best Shopping cart platform
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 130
    Rep Power 536871045

fecebook page.

It's all been down-hill since I found that Santa Claus was really my drunk uncle...
    - Carlo
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

You should create a social media page based on your niche and promote it this way you can attract targeted audience to your project.
    What's that supposed to mean? That strikes me as a non-answer if I've ever seen one.

It's also typical of the useless blather that techies always use to try and snow musicians.

Do you have any actual answers to these questions?

We do original songs and put music to children's poems, and we just put together a website and a fecebook page.Now we have to decide which social media canals we want to use.
    So, which way to go?
    Where to create this page?

How do you promote it?

How do you put content on the web in a manner that allows you to reach an audience without getting ripped off?

The usual way to do these things effectively seems to be to hire a professional promotions company, but that costs $$$$.

While it's theoretically possible to do these things yourself, in reality it's a ful;l time job that requires research, time, and considerable effort to build and effective contact list, which is pretty much beyond the abilities of people who have no experience/training as publicists.

Equal access and opportunity for all is the great lie of the internet.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

The real problem with youtube is that you don't get to opt out. If whatever you do takes off, it will be uploaded to youtube whether you like it or not. Trying to take it down would become a futile game of whack-a-mole. The terms of content I.D are terrible, but that's moot because only major labels and stars get to use it anyway.

A service like Orfium might be a way forward to a brighter future except for the above 800# gorilla.

https://www.attackmagazine.com/news/...ew-soundcloud/
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,265
    Rep Power 536871063

Name:  _57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png
Views: 92
Size:  61.8 KB

Correct me if I'm wrong but this smells a lot like spam.

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Mmmm... SPAM.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch