Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Default Quick question about mixing room/control room shapes

Can someone describe to me(like I'm a child) what the reasoning/physics is behind the way the front of a control room is shaped. Specifically, having a high(er) ceiling up front, that angles down to a more normal ceiling towards the back.
    It seems like the common/right thing ... I just don't understand what function that design serves.

Thanks!!

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

Default Re: Quick question about mixing room/control room shapes

While there definitely are some acoustical considerations, I personally think it is because most of the times control room front is adjacent to a recording space which MUST have high ceiling.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,070
    Rep Power 536871210

Actually, ceilings that slope down from front to back - compression ceilings - are not the most desirable.

The word 'distortion' gets thrown around a lot when discussing compression ceilings, but I'm not cluey enough to know about the science behind that.

The control rooms that I've always felt most comfortable in have either flat ceilings, or "expansion ceilings" where the ceiling rises from front to back.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,509
    Rep Power 536871085

Mine is higher on the left then on the right, it was just a practical consideration. It would have been more difficult to have it raise front to back/back to front. I just knew I didn't want parallel ceilings, and that was the simplest design.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,509
    Rep Power 536871085

I guess the like a baby explanation is "it's an easy way to get rid of flutter echo." The particulars of why it should go in which direction are beyond me.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

So maybe it's more about not being parallel to the floor than the direction in which it runs?

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,509
    Rep Power 536871085

So maybe it's more about not being parallel to the floor than the direction in which it runs?

-r
    That was true in my case, but probably their is more going on that I don't know about.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871396

Actually most of my most favourite rooms were compression ceiling rooms.
    Fwiw

my least fave are always LEDE
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,627
    Rep Power 536871428

The problem with parallel walls is they have a tendency to promote nodes, standing waves.

It's pretty easy to get rid of room flutter with a bit of absorbtive and refractive material. If you're building a room scratch you can build it without parallel walls. Many of us don't have that option.

To me, my room sounds pretty good if I'm in the middle of the room, regardless if I'm sitting by the monitors or the middle or back of the room.

But ther is a corner I call "jukebox corner" -- If I stand there it sounds like there's an extra 2 dB of low shelf added. I use it to my advantage; since I don't have subs, it will reveal the low end detail in a useful way. I just tailor the sound so that it sounds similar to the way professionally mixed and mastered program material sounds when I'm standing there. Bass ackwards, perhaps, but that's how we do things at nobby road

Room Acoustics Fundamentals
    Basics of nodes and standing waves

http://www.recordingmag.com/resource...etail/224.html
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,509
    Rep Power 536871085

What's LEDE?
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

Live End Dead End
    One wall of the room is very reflective, the other is dead
    When in doubt, mumble!

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

Live End Dead End
    One wall of the room is very reflective, the other is dead
    I was taught LEDE and DELE which were to mean: LEDE=live end in front and dead end at the back and DELE=reversed.

Maybe I had too much Moroccan dope.

The studio I got my formal training in was a LEDE (Studio Bohus) and, could it have been Westlake that designed it? (Can't find any info). What I know is that the studio was built by a swedish dance band that sold outrageous amounts of records and invited the soup de jour studio designer of the year (1976?) to build a top notch studio with almost unlimited budget.

I found it - it was Tom Hidley of Eastlake that built it. It's a frigging beautiful studio and here's the link: The link!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Thanks guys. Reading around online some too. I'd found John Sayers sight some time back, but I was wondering if you guys were familiar or what you thought about the quality of information that comes out of there.

In in my space I committed to a mostly absorptive ceiling this weekend. It's 12 inch joist spaced 16 inches apart. I put a 9 inch thick fiberglass insulation up in the joist and am covering it with fabric. In a fashionable way of course. Haha. The hope is it mostly sucks up everything that hits it. We'll see how it does.

-r
    Sign Here

Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Granfaloon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,074
    Rep Power 536871076

Thanks guys. Reading around online some too. I'd found John Sayers sight some time back, but I was wondering if you guys were familiar or what you thought about the quality of information that comes out of there.

In in my space I committed to a mostly absorptive ceiling this weekend. It's 12 inch joist spaced 16 inches apart. I put a 9 inch thick fiberglass insulation up in the joist and am covering it with fabric. In a fashionable way of course. Haha. The hope is it mostly sucks up everything that hits it. We'll see how it does.

-r
    Like anywhere on the web, you have to parse the data and know your sources. John is reliable, and a respected designer, as are most of the mods there. Even the acoustics forum at the Purple Place has some excellent contributors, but you have to ignore the fibre merchants and the "tell me everything I have to do in an uncomplicated manner, because I don't actually want to learn anything, for free" crowd...

As for your ceiling, 228mm of insulation isn't much. If you know the gas flow resistivity of the material, you can get an idea of your absorption coefficient here: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/multi.php

You'll have to start thinking in Metric, but that's a good thing.

If you're using fluffy insulation, it will likely look something like this: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/mlink.php?m=4&im=1&s11=2&d11=228&v11=5000

Enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole!
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Donít think about that too much. Itís too painful.

-Mixerman
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Sunny San Juan, P.R.
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762112

I just got explained this to me barely a couple of weeks ago over at the John Sayers forum. Really nice people there. I've been trying to get the old studio off the ground again.

Anyway the current trend goes for small ceiling up front, high ceiling behind you, and from narrow up front to wide behind you. Apparently this is to create what they call a RFZ around the mix position: Reflection Free Zone; your ears get bathed by your pure monitor sound, with any/all reflections (if at all) hitting your ears sufficiently late enough or quiet enough to not be able to confuse your decision-making ears.

You literally encounter that same concept floating around across many of threads over and over again.

Reminds me of things like "use your ears not your eyes", "get solid results from your DAWs plugins" or "track at low levels into your DACs" that one will eventually pick up from reading enough threads around this forum.

best regards,
    -m
    Can someone describe to me(like I'm a child) what the reasoning/physics is behind the way the front of a control room is shaped. Specifically, having a high(er) ceiling up front, that angles down to a more normal ceiling towards the back.
    It seems like the common/right thing ... I just don't understand what function that design serves.

Thanks!!

-r
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871396

I was taught LEDE ...
    I found it - it was Tom Hidley of Eastlake that built it. It's a frigging beautiful studio and here's the link: The link!

HIDLEY is a genius, but he was not a fan or proponent of LEDE.
    his rooms tend to be ultra symmetrical (a very good thing), with a fair amount of diffusion near the front, and lots of trapping at the rear, plus 'perimeter' trapping all round.
    he might have 'invented' (along with George Augspurger) the compression ceiling (his original designs had a V shape that was lowest over the mixer position and then rose again at the back) as well as bass trapping in control rooms that they did by hanging free swinging (on wires) batons of fiberglass on fiberboard in wall cavities with cloth 'entrances'.

most of his rooms are incredibly good, and overbuilt to an incredible degree... so also, naturally, not cheap.

the original Record Plant rooms were his very first.
    Last edited by weedywet; January 17th, 2017 at 06:46 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

Apparently this is to create what they call a RFZ around the mix position: Reflection Free Zone; your ears get bathed by your pure monitor sound, with any/all reflections (if at all) hitting your ears sufficiently late enough or quiet enough to not be able to confuse your decision-making ears.
    Dunno. Why not just make anechoic room then?
    I think the idea of having bigger space behind you is nice so that low frequency nulls and peaks would be there.

"track at low levels into your DACs"
    I don't think tracking into DACs is a good idea
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

LEDE is a trainwreck because it absorbs more highs and midrange than lows!

What's important is that the reflections off the wall have a flat response and are well diffused to avoid flutter echo. Later Hidley rooms are this way although earlier ones were not great. You also need to worry about bass trapping if the room is really isolated and sound proof. Not so much if the lows can leak to the outside world.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

This probably applies to me also. Ive got the ceiling drywall out and the previous owner has roxul in there. Things are sounding good, but I wonder if once I finish the room if I'll be shooting myself in the foot by boarding up the ceiling.

Seems like alot of lf info is getting a chance to breathe there. Would it be better to just do a slotted ceiling w/ various 6" boards? With 8' ceilings, I don't have many options for bas trapping in an isolated room.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Sunny San Juan, P.R.
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762112

meLo, great to read you again!
    hey don't shoot the messenger

the way I would defend it would be something like this: we're talking about the Control Room here, not the Live Room, so y'know being too dead or too live ... isn't it a matter of taste as long as the freq response is flat if one mixes long enough in there one adapts, no? Like with the marketing-speak of Nearfields, the objective is "pure sound". NOT saying this is the best, the way it should be, my fav or anything, just trying to convey as truthfully as possible what was conveyed to me.

best regards,
    -m
    Dunno. Why not just make anechoic room then?
    I think the idea of having bigger space behind you is nice so that low frequency nulls and peaks would be there.

I don't think tracking into DACs is a good idea