Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,770
    Rep Power 536871396

Default Re: Quick question about mixing room/control room shapes

meLo, great to read you again!
    hey don't shoot the messenger

the way I would defend it would be something like this: we're talking about the Control Room here, not the Live Room, so y'know being too dead or too live ... isn't it a matter of taste as long as the freq response is flat if one mixes long enough in there one adapts, no? Like with the marketing-speak of Nearfields, the objective is "pure sound". NOT saying this is the best, the way it should be, my fav or anything, just trying to convey as truthfully as possible what was conveyed to me.

best regards,
    -m

Er, no.

If a room is too dead it becomes uncomfortable for most people to remain in very long.

The key is balance, and balance is a tricky thing.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Posts 522
    Rep Power 536871021

Cross-posting, hope you don't mind:

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/topic/4236958/FrontToBack-Acoustic-Technique

Kind of an evolution of Newell/Hidley rooms. Wideband-even decay with strategically placed diffusion to provide psychoacoustic comfort to the listeners.
    Professional Crastinator
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

This probably applies to me also. Ive got the ceiling drywall out and the previous owner has roxul in there. Things are sounding good, but I wonder if once I finish the room if I'll be shooting myself in the foot by boarding up the ceiling.

Seems like alot of lf info is getting a chance to breathe there. Would it be better to just do a slotted ceiling w/ various 6" boards? With 8' ceilings, I don't have many options for bas trapping in an isolated room.
    I opted to insulate the ceiling and cover if with two layers of burlap. (Burlap was cheap and matched the feel of the rest of the room) There are some 4 inch board that run along the seams of the burlap, but those are about 4ft apart, so it's not a reflection problem. I get more bleed between the two floors than I would if I'd have drywalled it, but it's completely comfortable enough that the fam can be upstairs and neither of us bother one another.
    If I'd have drywalled it, I would have had to treat the ceiling from the drywall down, which as you know in a basement eats up space quick.

It has been in for a little while now and to my ear, certainly still in training, it has been a good move for my room.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

meLo, great to read you again!
    hey don't shoot the messenger

the way I would defend it would be something like this: we're talking about the Control Room here, not the Live Room, so y'know being too dead or too live ... isn't it a matter of taste as long as the freq response is flat if one mixes long enough in there one adapts, no? Like with the marketing-speak of Nearfields, the objective is "pure sound". NOT saying this is the best, the way it should be, my fav or anything, just trying to convey as truthfully as possible what was conveyed to me.

best regards,
    -m
    I think the point is that when you're recording, you're converting analog to digital, not the other way around so DAC wouldn't work.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Sunny San Juan, P.R.
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762110

sssshhhhh
    I tried to leave that part out bec I noticed I'd fumbled the acronyms
    does anything ever get past you?

@john yea of course, daeder/livelier to an acceptable degree, of course anechoic level dead would be undesirable.

Hey this reminds me of the good old times...
    should we drum up some controversy
    get into a big forum fight
    get the ball rolling on more visits and replies and before you know it the Forum is revitalized? Maybe we can get one of <room treatment product seller's name redacted> pupils to wander in here, start a big fight with him/her too?
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762110

does taking jabs at hockey still work?
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,770
    Rep Power 536871396

sssshhhhh
    I tried to leave that part out bec I noticed I'd fumbled the acronyms
    does anything ever get past you?

@john yea of course, daeder/livelier to an acceptable degree, of course anechoic level dead would be undesirable.

Hey this reminds me of the good old times...
    should we drum up some controversy
    get into a big forum fight
    get the ball rolling on more visits and replies and before you know it the Forum is revitalized? Maybe we can get one of <room treatment product seller's name redacted> pupils to wander in here, start a big fight with him/her too?
    I doesn't need to be anechoic to be uncomfortable. I just has to have a bit too much damping in the upper frequencies - which, of course, are the "easy" ones....

Please don't invoke "Beetlejuice"... there are better ways to drum up excitement.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Posts 562
    Rep Power 469762110

Please don't invoke "Beetlejuice"... there are better ways to drum up excitement.
    Bahhahaahha that's the best joke I've heard all year
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,660
    Rep Power 536871394

The goal is translation.

It it comes down to how the work you do in there sounds OUT of there... so you can look at it as : what does this monitor system (including the room) MAKE me do?

if the room is too dead, it tends to 'make' you add reverb for example.
    you can tell yourself that you will 'learn to compensate' but that's first off making your life much more complicated and mixing unpleasant, and second, that will fly out the window the instant you get a client in there complaining.

Same thing, if not more so, with low end response.
    You can only really work effectively in a situation where you can TRUST the bottom end, not where you have to be making elaborate mental compensation.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

The goal is translation.

It it comes down to how the work you do in there sounds OUT of there... so you can look at it as : what does this monitor system (including the room) MAKE me do?

if the room is too dead, it tends to 'make' you add reverb for example.
    you can tell yourself that you will 'learn to compensate' but that's first off making your life much more complicated and mixing unpleasant, and second, that will fly out the window the instant you get a client in there complaining.

Same thing, if not more so, with low end response.
    You can only really work effectively in a situation where you can TRUST the bottom end, not where you have to be making elaborate mental compensation.
    It can be relative though, no?

If you get used to a shitty space then you will be lost in a nicely balanced one.

I've just moved from standing waves to a bit more reflection, and even though I know it sounds better overall, I'm still feeling like I'm in free-fall. Gahd, every time I turn a corner it just injects more uncertainty into the loop
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

It can be relative though, no?

If you get used to a shitty space then you will be lost in a nicely balanced one.

I've just moved from standing waves to a bit more reflection, and even though I know it sounds better overall, I'm still feeling like I'm in free-fall. Gahd, every time I turn a corner it just injects more uncertainty into the loop
    I think just knowing your room is, ah, less than perfect is winning half the battle.

I've gotten to the point that my mixing position sounds pretty even but the sound changes away from that position. Specifically, if I stand near a wall some distance from the monitors, the low end is boosted slightly, like if you're listening to a car stereo flat and you boost the bass 1 click. I call this spot "jukebox alley".

The key (to me) is to listen to prefessionally recorded and mastered recordings relevant to the type of music you're working on through your monitor system both at the mix position and jukebox alley (because it helps identify low end problems -- I don't use subwoofers) and adjust the mixes accordingly.

At that point, they start translating pretty well to other systems.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,660
    Rep Power 536871394

In a really well designed room, you just make it sound good to you in the moment, without having to 'adjust' or think about undermixing the bass or overdoing the reverb or any other compensatory devices.
    you just make decisions based on what it sounds like.

no one wouldn't prefer that.
    Last edited by weedywet; January 24th, 2017 at 02:29 AM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

Absolutely.

Greedle