Thread: Converter question - use during bouncing

Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Mook Breath
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Location Lvl 4 Data Center, Walls rated to withstand explosives
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217856

Default Converter question - use during bouncing

So you've recorded the tracks and moved them into a DAW, and for sure the converters mattered. And what you hear during mixing goes out through the converters, and lets set aside instances where you've got plugins offloaded to an Apollo, PT HD or whatever.

With those caveats, during something like a stem bounce, are the converters actually used or is all that ITB processing? There are two kinds of cases where it would be useful, at least to me:

A) I'm away from studio traveling, and the client says "great mix", just one thing, can you push the vocal down a teensy bit, like 2 db? And I know that whether I agree or not, how it affects the mix, etc. that this is his mix and what he needs to hear so... Can I effectively push the stem fader down and bounce the mix on my laptop, or is a case of "that's stupid son" and you need to wait until you get back and use you regular rig?

B) (Similar but different tools) some tracks for the client are made using EWQL samples and driven from Sibelius. They call and want a quick arrangement tweak, and they'd like it turned around before you get back home to the studio. Again, is it stupid to bounce from the laptop?

And yah Sibelius can export using higher sample rates without needing a high quality convert plugged in - that's part of the reason that I asked the question - it actually can bounce a file like that just fine. Just not sure how the quality is affected.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549531

Default Re: Converter question - use during bouncing

If no audio is going through the converters then I don't see how they would change the quality of a bounce. I'd be more skeptical about making mix decisions in a monitoring situation you don't really know or trust.
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217856

If no audio is going through the converters then I don't see how they would change the quality of a bounce. I'd be more skeptical about making mix decisions in a monitoring situation you don't really know or trust.
    It's definitely true of monitoring on this laptop. iIs the "If" though that I was asking about. Is it really true that no audio is going through the converters during a bounce? Or is some of the processing offloaded to the converter or (in its absence) to a sound card?

I'd tell myself to just listen, but to help guard against any confirmation bias I thought would ask. If any group would know the inside details, I figured it would be here.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

No signals passing the converters during bounce. Period!

Cheers - P
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Posts 57
    Rep Power 134217856

Cheers - P

Thank you sir! I'm buying the virtual beer.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

Cheers - P
    Bam!

This entity speaks the truth, and earned his virtual beer!

The hint is that you can entirely remove your sound card and yet still bounce away to your hearts content
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

With the addition that it is not a DSP, like a UAD processing plug-ins, which would stall the process - however still without directing any sound through the converter. Unless it is set-up for external hardware processing where... *boink*
    Last edited by Knastratt; July 6th, 2016 at 10:01 AM.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549531

It's definitely true of monitoring on this laptop. iIs the "If" though that I was asking about. Is it really true that no audio is going through the converters during a bounce? Or is some of the processing offloaded to the converter or (in its absence) to a sound card?

I'd tell myself to just listen, but to help guard against any confirmation bias I thought would ask. If any group would know the inside details, I figured it would be here.
    Unless you are using hardware inserts in your mix, or using some other way to physically route your audio out of your DAC and back in through your ADC in real time while you are mixing then no audio is going through your converters during your bounce.