Thread: First mix after putting things back together

Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Default First mix after putting things back together

I got my little space *mostly put back together. Haven't recorded anything yet, but I messed around with one of those, download all the tracks and have a go things.

Seemed to get to this point pretty quickly. I was happy about that. I have to give credit to the recording engineer though. I didn't have to spend much time on any of the tracks. A little compression and eq, that was it. Got to fiddle around with the Butch Vig Vocal plugin a little. The really distorted/screaming part was recorded that way, but I used it on the spoken word parts. It was kind of fun.

Be interested to see how it stands up to some criticism.
    Burning Bridges-001.mp3

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Default Re: First mix after putting things back together

My setup is in the crate but from my internal MBP speakers it sounds really good. Lose a bit of the verb on the vocals. Especially the BVs. Or maybe LP the reverb.

Cheers - P
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

The low-end is too shy. The extreme low-end is all right, but I don't hear much between, say. 100 and 250 or so. And too much de-essing on vocals, to the point of lisping.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

The BG Vocals were printed with the reverb, so I'm a little stuck there.
    I did experiment with LP filter on the lead reverb and I liked it better. Something I've been told can help, but haven't dove into much yet.

I tried to find some more oomph in the 100 to 250 area, but what I ended up adding was more in the 200 to 300 range. It was pretty subtle, but it seemed to thicken it up a little.

Also, thanks on the de-essing. Not something I'm skilled with for sure. I tend to flip through presets until I hear something I like. I still don't have a mastery of the tool I'm using yet, so I'm shy to tweaking it. Tried to do that on this version. Mostly listened for the S to "open up" some. Not clamp it down so much. Be happy to hear what you think about the differences.
    Burning Bridges - 24.7.16.mp3

Thanks again guys!

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,779
    Rep Power 536871397

Well, a comment on your comment about the de-essing - the way to achieve mastery of a tool is not to flip through presets. You've gotta put your hands on the "knobs" to really learn how to use the thing.

I de-ess only rarely (I prefer to try to deal with potential problems of that sort at the microphone when possible, not an option in this case, I know)_, but when I do I'm never confronted with this problem - my de-essers are hardware, no presets.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

New version is a definite improvement. Although, I'd still like to hear more "chugg" in palm-mutes, but it doesn't sound thin now. The vocals are also better. Though I wonder if they would work better with less processing. It has this feeling "woah, there's a lot going on to them", which I am not a big fan of (although I might be guilty of doing that too).
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Well, a comment on your comment about the de-essing - the way to achieve mastery of a tool is not to flip through presets. You've gotta put your hands on the "knobs" to really learn how to use the thing.

I de-ess only rarely (I prefer to try to deal with potential problems of that sort at the microphone when possible, not an option in this case, I know)_, but when I do I'm never confronted with this problem - my de-essers are hardware, no presets.
    Agree totally John. I don't meant to suggest I'm trying to avoid it or substitute learning it by using the presets.
    The preset usually says something like, Male - Wide or Female - Narrow, something about General PA. I try to watch what changes between the settings when I flip from one to the other, then correlate the "why" based on the description of the preset. It's not a perfect approach but ...
    From there, I try to twist a knob and listen to it's affect. Just generally move behind the curve on de-essing than some of the other things I've been picking up.

-r
    Sign Here