Thread: folk/hip-hop cover

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

Default folk/hip-hop cover

This is something I did this weekend, it's a song by a folk/hip-hop duo called The Uncluded. I'm not a rapper so I took a few "creative liberties". Any feedback is welcome and appreciated as always.

https://sageandstone.bandcamp.com/tr...uncluded-cover
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

Default Re: folk/hip-hop cover

"Folk-hiphop" s an oxymoron.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

I wasn't sure what I was getting into after you called it Folks Hip hop. But after hearing it (and I'm still digesting it at the moment) it's not as hip hop as I'd thought it was going to be.
    Kind of that white guy spoken word more than a hip hop or rap feel. The single acoustic guitar really paints that picture for me. I got a Bloodhound Gang thing out of it. It's a catchy enough song.

As for your mix, I have a couple of comments/thoughts.
    Is it an actual double on the voice or is it an effect? Sometimes it sounds like an actual double and sometimes it sounds like a doubling effect. If they are doubles, I'd be interested in seeing what it sounded like with them pushed out L/R from the start. Stacked together in the center, it's making it hard to understand the guy. Especially the opening line. (just my opinion) I'd push that deeper voice out to the right or something. Or maybe bring that track down a little? They are fighting each other more than complimenting.

There's a slap back thing happening that makes me think the higher pitched vocal is being artificially doubled. Starting around 20 seconds. It's distracting and making it hard to understand.

The other thing is it's all focused in the center for almost exactly half the song. Then it all spreads out. I'm not sure if you were trying to make the song blossom or grow there, but it's coming off as a divide in the song. Like two separate versions of the song.

I'd like to hear it with the strings out L and R from the beginning. Also, drop the double effect that's happening at the 20 second mark. Or push them out L/R. See if that helps clean up that vocal part a little. Things are closer to what I'd like to hear from it starting around the 1:30ish point.

Just my two cents though. Do with that what you will.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

Thanks Reno, what you are hearing are actual doubles, and it does kind of create a slap-back effect at some points - it did bother me a little too but I guess I just got used to it. I'll look at that again.

There is just one acoustic guitar and vocals, and an organ part mixed low when it goes to stereo. I kind of like it staying mono until that point so I probably won't change that, but I appreciate all the thoughts!

Also, the original song was more of a folk/hip-hop song, my version less so...

Here's the original:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO2zBhtuZWM
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Interesting. The original has a very unique vibe to it. The contrast in the two singers really lends to the song and I think yours would have benefited from that too. But overall, I liked what you were doing in the second half of the song better than what the original did.

Feel free to take or leave any of my babble! I'm just throwing out what I hear in my head.

Thank for the into to this group. I'm going to check out some more of their stuff.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

"Folk-hiphop" s an oxymoron.
    How about country hip-hop?

When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

How about country hip-hop?

Please don't get me started. It ain't hip-hop and it damn sure ain't country.

Hip-hop is URBAN music. Country-urban?

Seriously?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549530

Interesting. The original has a very unique vibe to it. The contrast in the two singers really lends to the song and I think yours would have benefited from that too. But overall, I liked what you were doing in the second half of the song better than what the original did.

Feel free to take or leave any of my babble! I'm just throwing out what I hear in my head.

Thank for the into to this group. I'm going to check out some more of their stuff.

-r
    I think they're an interesting band... it's a side project for both of them. It's quirky and weird, but really original also, so I think it's cool.

I updated the song. I didn't make any huge changes, but I added some more effects and tried to consider your suggestions.

https://sageandstone.bandcamp.com/tr...uncluded-cover
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 972
    Rep Power 536870974

Yeah... I like a little bit of oddness in my day to day.

I like this version a lot! The spread on the vocals right off the bat get's me right into the song. I feel like it's one song all the way through. Very fun!!

-r
    Sign Here