Thread: Are (large) consoles still a thing?

From New Jersey...and admits it! Familiar with term 'Court appointed attorney'
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

Default Re: Are (large) consoles still a thing?

$150/hr???

... what don't you get for that money?
    A desk that's not an SSL?

Just kidding... I actually like the only SSL console I've used [duality], and I have an alpha channel strip that I like, but I don't have a lot of experience on LFAC, and I know liking SSL is not a popular opinion around here.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date May 2009
    Location Eugene, OR
    Posts 3
    Rep Power 99

Cool, yes.

Worth the money? No way.
    Just discussing this with a buddy who also saw the ad, we both had same sentiment. (not that either of us could afford buying even a knob off the thing, but that's not important). Be interesting to see what Kravitz gets for it.
    Wear one watch and you'll always know what time it is.
    Wear two and you'll never be sure.

goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 0

I actually like the only SSL console I've used [duality], .... I know liking SSL is not a popular opinion around here.
    Neither is liking Avid. And I simply don't care. I picked an Avid over several Neves, an couple SSLs, and a Studer. And that Frankenstein Trident 7. And for the right reasons. If you can afford the console (especially a duality), keep yourself busy, and fit it into your biz model, totally no need to ever apologize for that.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

SSLs sound like ass but they were first with automation that works so people can mix by committee.

Avid is killer for film mixing which shouldn't really be a surprise.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 0

Speaking of surprises, I could hardly believe that no one (at least to my knowledge) has challenged avids Eucon engine! Yamaha has made an honorable attempt, but why do SSL, Studer, and Harrison just sit around and let Avid make the only console that can talk to all the DAWs?

Does anyone here know?
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 0

SSLs sound like ass but they were first with automation that works so people can mix by committee.
    What don't you like about them? I've never owned one.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

Why are you asking this question? He already told you.

They sound like ass.

The mic pres in particular are notoriously execrable.

Really bad for tracking.

Less bad for mixing but still really sterile and blah for the most part. However the large number of finctyions available on each channel and buss (during playback/mixdown) makes them extremely useful for those doing projects where recall is a necessity and trumps the musicality of the console.

What exactly is it about "sounds like ass" that you don't understand?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

Speaking of surprises, I could hardly believe that no one (at least to my knowledge) has challenged avids Eucon engine! Yamaha has made an honorable attempt, but why do SSL, Studer, and Harrison just sit around and let Avid make the only console that can talk to all the DAWs?
    Euphonix developed Eucon for their S5 console and desktop controller line. They were primarily supporting Nuendo in an effort to compete with the Avid Icon.

Avid bought Euphonix, merged it with the Icon team under the leadership of Euphonix executives and integrated it into Pro Tools. SSL and Neve went bankrupt, Studer was bought by Harman and Harrison is a much smaller company. I'm sure they intend to integrate their mixBuss software with their consoles but competing with Pro Tools is like trying to sell a 1" multitrack in the world of 2" machines. Virtually every serious Pro Tools project is worth far more than the price of any DAW.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

I would never own a console when I can rent a studio. That's hobbyist-think.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 925
    Rep Power 536870969

Hey Bob,
    You've mentioned things like this a number of times, but never expounded on it much (that I've seen). Would you mind explaining your thoughts on this a little more. Your hobbyist-think statement sort of outlines where I've come from and I'd like to better understand the pitfalls of thinking this way. If you don't mind.

Thanks,

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

To me, a studio is a performance space. An analog console is for recording ensembles efficiently and doing mixes with a great deal of outboard gear.

Both are pointless to own unless you are recording ensembles and doing monstrous mixes every day. Another integral part of a studio is a support crew. It's about moving fast enough that the performers can't get bored.

Having some of the gear without the performance space and the crew combines the worst of DIY and a pro studio.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    From New Jersey...and admits it! Familiar with term 'Court appointed attorney'
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

Also, you can rent a studio with a great console when you actually need it for a fraction of the cost of owning even a mediocre one, and you don't have to deal with maintenance or accepting pennies on the dollar should you ever decide to sell it.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Default Are (large) consoles still a thing?

If you can't afford to rent a nice studio for a couple days, you're sure as hell not going to be able to afford a decent large format console anyhow.
    That's a serious cart-horse process error.
    And like bob said, you're not just getting a board, you're getting a space and outboard gear and some help too.
    How many gigs do you have to book before you can actually buy that studio?
    All of the gigs. The answer is all of the gigs.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 0

'Can' is the operative word. They're not available around here. When the facility is finished, I'll be the first room in South Carolina that has one. Literally no post rooms around here that are accessible on a freelance basis.

...and was your comment about the sound quality of the SSL referring only to their analog consoles?
    Last edited by jkuehlin; September 26th, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 0

If you can't afford to rent a nice studio for a couple days, you're sure as hell not going to be able to afford a decent large format console anyhow.
    That's a serious cart-horse process error.
    And like bob said, you're not just getting a board, you're getting a space and outboard gear and some help too.
    How many gigs do you have to book before you can actually buy that studio?
    All of the gigs. The answer is all of the gigs.
    What I can't afford is the time it takes to run back and forth to Atlanta every week to get to one. I see you're in NC. Are you in the post-production market? Where are you going when YOU need one?

I'm trying to get to a fully digital console with 192 i/o and at least 5.1 surround, but 7.1 would be awesome...let me know if you happen to have run across anything locally. I don't care about the cinema screen and projector...hollar at me if you know of a room.
    Last edited by jkuehlin; September 26th, 2016 at 03:48 PM.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

No, not for post frankly. I do music, though I'm mixing my first short film right now...
    But I mix with a mouse, and if a client is feeling snazzy and flush, there's plenty of good rooms to rent around here for music.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    doesn't play the sax gets a contact high from patchouli oil
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 164
    Rep Power 268435629

The rock guys love their ssls though. The one studio near here had a 9000j but they went out of business. So I guess folks aren't willing to pay for the high end studios anymore.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

The rock guys love their ssls though. The one studio near here had a 9000j but they went out of business. So I guess folks aren't willing to pay for the high end studios anymore.
    Nobody's willing to pay for rock!

Moving from time to time is just part of the gig.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871206

Thanks to the democratisation of technology, folks seem unwilling to pay for any level studios anymore.

"I'll save money and do it myself...how hard could it be?"

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    doesn't play the sax gets a contact high from patchouli oil
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 164
    Rep Power 268435629

Thanks to the democratisation of technology, folks seem unwilling to pay for any level studios anymore.

"I'll save money and do it myself...how hard could it be?"

Cheers,
    Tim
    I hope that's not completely true since I just bought a new audio interface. But the singer I have been working with keeps asking me to help her with her daw settings instead of actually letting me record her. Not sure where to go with that but it's hard to teach someone all that goes into a good recording.