Thread: Are (large) consoles still a thing?

wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Sep 2010
    Location Los Angeles
    Posts 46
    Rep Power 536870995

Default Re: Are (large) consoles still a thing?

But the singer I have been working with keeps asking me to help her with her daw settings instead of actually letting me record her.
    Nearly all of my high school buddies who've gotten into music have been sucked into the DAW world and have proceeded to waste large amounts of time and energy. They also seem to forgo joining bands and playing live because of this.

"I'll just drop my mad track on soundcloud and blow up."

Then, because it blows chunks instead (and because it's soundcloud or some other supply-saturated service that people are on only to host their own "content"), they get some depressing double-digit number of plays and a few "that's awesome! " comments and get discouraged.

Or even worse - they keep doing it.
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 716
    Rep Power 536871047

Yeah. These days everyone is an Instagram producer.
    So, coming back on topic for a bit, I seem to notice that people working on mostly music seem to prefer analog consoles, whereas people doing post or live stuff prefer digital consoles. Which got me thinking... where does having some sort of control surface and outboard gear (including some form of summing mixer) fall? I totally understand (and agree with) John's point on the immediacy of just going for a pot and turning it instead of dealing with menus and whatnot, but if a control surface was well designed, would this be a worthy middle ground for some? Why? Why not?
    Everything here is good stuff. Keep it coming.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 81
    Rep Power 0

Yeah. These days everyone is an Instagram producer.
    So, coming back on topic for a bit, I seem to notice that people working on mostly music seem to prefer analog consoles, whereas people doing post or live stuff prefer digital consoles.
    This partly depends on what aspect of post someone is working on. It makes zero sense for broadcast to go analog either. Channel count, daw integration, recall, console cost, patching, routing...when you add this stuff up it quickly outweighs everything else. But note that the orchestral scoring studios seem to keep their analog boards.
    Which got me thinking... where does having some sort of control surface and outboard gear (including some form of summing mixer) fall? I totally understand (and agree with) John's point on the immediacy of just going for a pot and turning it instead of dealing with menus and whatnot, but if a control surface was well designed, would this be a worthy middle ground for some? Why? Why not?
    Everything here is good stuff. Keep it coming.
    Well, it IS a worthy middle ground, as tons of post studios are using SSLs, Harrisons, Avids, and occasionally a neve D88. On the broadcast end, Studer Vistas are incredibly well laid out.

I'm not a huge fan of the Presonus, Behringer, and Yamaha CL5 layouts digital mixer. There's a lot of screen gymnastics on those. (Though they are considerably cheaper). As trivial as it may seem, the difference seems to come down to the amount of channel strip knobs, and the size of the screens. Thats seems to be the big factor in whether the layout gets in your way. I never hear anyone complain about the Studers in this regard.

There's difference between mixing with a control surface and using a digital console. An actual digital console (like the SSL C300, Neve D88, Avid system 5, and Harrison MPC) all have onboard processing. These are different than control surfaces like the Icon, S6, System 5 MC, and Slate Raven.