Thread: Anyone using a Dolby Atmos setup?

goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 81
    Rep Power 0

Default Anyone using a Dolby Atmos setup?

Thinking about installing a 7.1 system that can be upscaled into an atmos room later on. How many of your guy's clients benefit from it or expect you to have it, to where they wouldn't book the room if it was 7.1?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

Default Re: Anyone using a Dolby Atmos setup?

Dolby's old patents expired so they need something new to license. I know several people in film who are pretty skeptical of Atmos because you can't mix for one sweet spot in a theater.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871206

Thinking about installing a 7.1 system that can be upscaled into an atmos room later on. How many of your guy's clients benefit from it or expect you to have it, to where they wouldn't book the room if it was 7.1?
    I've done precisely one tv series in 5.1...which was an utter pain in the ass.

I've had several - as in "less than 10" - enquires about 5.1 production in the past 15 years.

That's not "per year"...that's total.

I've had absolutely zero enquiries for 7.1

In the past 8 years I've done exactly one live outside broadcast in 5.1

No terrestrial broadcaster in this country is interested in originating stuff in any kind of surround format...and don't even go there about 4K/8K.

Very few producers are prepared to pay any more for surround production over the rate they're paying for 2.0 production.

Cinema really is almost the only constant "client" for surround mixes.

If you want to be in the film mix market...with the full-on 5.1/7.1 Dolby/DTS/SDDS-aligned theatre and speaker system...you are into a world of pain centred around your wallet.

I've not heard Atmos yet...AFAIK no cinema in my city is equipped for it.

I understand it can be much more immersive than your usual bog-stock 5.1 mix...but at a significant price premium.

What are the final delivery format requests you are currently receiving?

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 81
    Rep Power 0

I've done precisely one tv series in 5.1...which was an utter pain in the ass.

I've had several - as in "less than 10" - enquires about 5.1 production in the past 15 years.

That's not "per year"...that's total.

I've had absolutely zero enquiries for 7.1

In the past 8 years I've done exactly one live outside broadcast in 5.1
    Wow.
    No terrestrial broadcaster in this country is interested in originating stuff in any kind of surround format...and don't even go there about 4K/8K.

Very few producers are prepared to pay any more for surround production over the rate they're paying for 2.0 production.

Cinema really is almost the only constant "client" for surround mixes.

If you want to be in the film mix market...with the full-on 5.1/7.1 Dolby/DTS/SDDS-aligned theatre and speaker system...you are into a world of pain centred around your wallet.
    Good thing state grant money is involved.

I've not heard Atmos yet...AFAIK no cinema in my city is equipped for it.

I understand it can be much more immersive than your usual bog-stock 5.1 mix...but at a significant price premium.

What are the final delivery format requests you are currently receiving?
    This is going to sound horrible but I don't actually understand the delivery format request. Its coming from a well established augmented reality content producer who is housing his operation on the other side of our parking lot. I'm getting clarification as soon as he returns the call which should be tomorrow. Sorry...lame answer, but an honest one.