Thread: Avid or Adobe?

goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 81
    Rep Power 0

Default Avid or Adobe?

Hey U other post guys

Avid, Adobe, OWC, Drobo....Anyone else who we haven't even heard of.

Pros/cons for your studios multi-station SAN based workflows?

Thoughts?
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 715
    Rep Power 536871045

Default Re: Avid or Adobe?

Blackmagic Design just acquired Fairlight. Things will get interesting...

P.S. Now, I'm not really an expert, but I was under the impression that Avid has far more presence in the pro market than Adobe? I believe Adobe is more used by independents, but doesn't have the infrastructure Avid has. They produce no hardware, so...
    Join Date May 2015
    Location United States
    Posts 2
    Rep Power 26

Hey U other post guys

Avid, Adobe, OWC, Drobo....Anyone else who we haven't even heard of.

Pros/cons for your studios multi-station SAN based workflows?

Thoughts?
    I think adobe is best as compared to others. Lots of Adobe work for Infographics can be seen on many sites like WIS .
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Sep 2013
    Posts 81
    Rep Power 0

I think adobe is best as compared to others. Lots of Adobe work for Infographics can be seen on many sites like WIS .
    I'm not completely sure what the big differences are. Or how avid's offers a better handshake with their hardware. Still working though this.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,132
    Rep Power 536871376

Media Composer was the first video editing application to become a real industry standard. Because Media Composer was very expensive and tied to hardware, it was/is mostly used by employees.

Final Cut Pro was adopted by many individual editors and "moonlighting" employees. After Apple shat all over it and turned it into a hobbyist app, many individuals have turned to renting Adobe although with mixed reviews.

It really depends on your goal. If you hope to become an employee, knowing Media Composer is a big plus. It's a native application now which makes it affordable especially if you rent to learn it. Another choice for free is https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,062
    Rep Power 536871207

Every single editor I have worked with has said in 2016, even though they learned on Avid, and still use it when working in networked edit shops...if they were looking for a package to work from home on their own material - they would (or did in almost every case) buy Adobe.

There are 2 ways Adobe smacks Avid every time:

1. You can throw any format video at Adobe and it will play it. With Avid, you WILL at some point have to transcode the source material.

2. File handling. As I understand it, if you rename a clip in Adobe, it goes "fine". Do that in Avid and it loses its mind.

Where Avid wins is in large networked edit shops.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Media Composer was the first video editing application to become a real industry standard. Because Media Composer was very expensive and tied to hardware, it was/is mostly used by employees.

Final Cut Pro was adopted by many individual editors and "moonlighting" employees. After Apple shat all over it and turned it into a hobbyist app, many individuals have turned to renting Adobe although with mixed reviews.

It really depends on your goal. If you hope to become an employee, knowing Media Composer is a big plus. It's a native application now which makes it affordable especially if you rent to learn it. Another choice for free is https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve
    Thanks for the Black Magic link Bob!

I've been using Blender for animation editing, and this looks so much better!
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Posts 715
    Rep Power 536871045

Thanks for the Black Magic link Bob!

I've been using Blender for animation editing, and this looks so much better!
    Blackmagic Design has turned the media world upside down with their acquisitions of DaVinci and Fusion. Both products are professional, complete solutions, and them releasing them for free, is insane. You really only need the paid versions if you work on stuff involving stereo projects, 4k footage, or work in large teams.

I've been using Resolve for a while now, it's awesome how it's evolving from a finishing/grading solution over to a full-featured video editor. I have some issues with it when it comes to H.264-encoded video (which you will get from pretty much most DSLR's... I shoot my stuff with a Canon 5D MKIII), so I usually transcode to Prores before ingesting the footage, which does improve performance. However, I also suspect my performance issues could be GPU-related, since my video card is a bit long in the tooth. I'll update it in a month or so, and will see if things improve. I just thought I'd give you a heads-up in case you're dealing with this codec.

Did I mention Blackmagic is awesome?
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Posts 715
    Rep Power 536871045

And concerning Adobe, I know there are a few angry folks at their adoption of subscription-only schemes, but since Sony dropped the ball (seemingly), it looks like they're the only game in town now (at least, for PC users).
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Blackmagic Design has turned the media world upside down with their acquisitions of DaVinci and Fusion. Both products are professional, complete solutions, and them releasing them for free, is insane. You really only need the paid versions if you work on stuff involving stereo projects, 4k footage, or work in large teams.

I've been using Resolve for a while now, it's awesome how it's evolving from a finishing/grading solution over to a full-featured video editor. I have some issues with it when it comes to H.264-encoded video (which you will get from pretty much most DSLR's... I shoot my stuff with a Canon 5D MKIII), so I usually transcode to Prores before ingesting the footage, which does improve performance. However, I also suspect my performance issues could be GPU-related, since my video card is a bit long in the tooth. I'll update it in a month or so, and will see if things improve. I just thought I'd give you a heads-up in case you're dealing with this codec.

Did I mention Blackmagic is awesome?
    Yeah, I downloaded Fusion a while ago, but it was too much for what I needed. I'm outputting 3D renders as single frames and then comping them in Blender and sometimes adding audio (this is 3D crime scene imaging work). No film involved.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

The DaVinci suggestion is kind of timely. I've pitched a project that I have no business pitching, and as luck would have it...they liked it.

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to video. I've been crash coursing things, but I don't know nothing about nothing when it comes to what to look for in a graphics card for what I think will be pretty basic video editing.

The tasks is as simple as taking some footage from 3 or 4 DSLRs and editing it down to a "show". There's no special effects or anything. Just cutting things up and stitching them back together with the audio track.
    Does that put me in the $200-$300 video card range, or am I'm in the $1k range? Should I quit while I'm ahead, fake my own death and never talk to them again??

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

The DaVinci suggestion is kind of timely. I've pitched a project that I have no business pitching, and as luck would have it...they liked it.

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to video. I've been crash coursing things, but I don't know nothing about nothing when it comes to what to look for in a graphics card for what I think will be pretty basic video editing.

The tasks is as simple as taking some footage from 3 or 4 DSLRs and editing it down to a "show". There's no special effects or anything. Just cutting things up and stitching them back together with the audio track.
    Does that put me in the $200-$300 video card range, or am I'm in the $1k range? Should I quit while I'm ahead, fake my own death and never talk to them again??

-r
    I've yet to use DaVinci, but what usually happens is that the preview just drops frames to keep up to speed, so it might just be a bit choppy for editing if you're underpowered. A 2GB card should be okay.

Will you be working with RAW?
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Will you be working with RAW?
    Well...after a quick google it seemed like I'd have said no based on some added complexities. But after a consult with my photography buddy (who's trying to help me some) he's telling me not to rule it out. That it can give me more options in editing. But I don't know...it will be the path of least resistance to start.

Sorry for being dense...but can you elaborate on "a 2GB card"? I'm that un-knowledgeable right now :(

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Well...after a quick google it seemed like I'd have said no based on some added complexities. But after a consult with my photography buddy (who's trying to help me some) he's telling me not to rule it out. That it can give me more options in editing. But I don't know...it will be the path of least resistance to start.

Sorry for being dense...but can you elaborate on "a 2GB card"? I'm that un-knowledgeable right now :(

-r
    If you've got the option (i.e.. it's yet to be filmed or they still have the RAW files), then going with RAW will mean better quality, especially if you're going to do any colour correction or filtering.

2GB card meaning a graphics card with 2 gigabytes of video RAM.

You can pick up 6GB cards pretty cheap now, but whatever you get you have to make sure your motherboard and power supply can use it, and also that you have sufficient cooling.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

Thanks Rev.

Reading up more on Resolve and it seems like the GPU is where most of the heavy lifting occurs. That was different from what I read about Premier and Vegas.
    I've got a 4 core, hyperthreaded i7. It looks like it's towards the bottom of the list, minimum requirement level, for processors. Although it's will cost a little more for my video card, the i7 becomes less of a hindrance if I'm using Resolve and a card with a more powerful GPU.

Based on that, it seems like DaVinci Resolve (and Fusion if I ever thought I'd do something with it) are viable options.

I generally feel bad using the "free" thing because I feel like I'm paying in my part to the industry. But my preference is to get this video editing piece off my plate and to a studio as soon as possible...which gets me inline with contributing.

In the mean time, it's make it happen however I can ... and the free version of Resolve seems like a winner.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 979
    Rep Power 536870992

Thanks Rev.

Reading up more on Resolve and it seems like the GPU is where most of the heavy lifting occurs. That was different from what I read about Premier and Vegas.
    I've got a 4 core, hyperthreaded i7. It looks like it's towards the bottom of the list, minimum requirement level, for processors. Although it's will cost a little more for my video card, the i7 becomes less of a hindrance if I'm using Resolve and a card with a more powerful GPU.

Based on that, it seems like DaVinci Resolve (and Fusion if I ever thought I'd do something with it) are viable options.

I generally feel bad using the "free" thing because I feel like I'm paying in my part to the industry. But my preference is to get this video editing piece off my plate and to a studio as soon as possible...which gets me inline with contributing.

In the mean time, it's make it happen however I can ... and the free version of Resolve seems like a winner.

-r
    They're choosing to release a free version. For whatever reason they chose to do that, just be thankful and take advantage of it

It's not like you're downloading a cracked version or anything.
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Posts 715
    Rep Power 536871045

If you're gonna be editing DSLR footage, I really doubt it will be RAW footage (unless they're using some newer DSLRs, like Blackmagic's own range of cameras). I find editing RAW footage to be overkill. If you're doing some serious keying and compositing, sure, but for anything else, it may be overkill. I would just transcode it to ProRes using a nice LUT to have enough latitude to do grading.
    You're going to be most likely dealing with H.264-encoded footage (but please do ask which cameras they're using and what they output). In that case, depending on what you intend to do with it, I'd either leave it alone and work with it directly (if just editing), or transcode it to ProRes and use that (better quality).

As for the video card, I'm pretty sure any GeForce in the $300 range will be more than sufficient for video editing (even some 3D work). Of course, the more RAM it has, the better (2GB seems to be the new black).

Good luck with the project!
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers rhythm cowbell to lead
    Join Date Apr 2009
    Location 36-9'56"n/86-47'3"w
    Posts 384
    Rep Power 536871022

Still using Sony although after taking a few VFX courses using it, I do so much of the work in Hitfilm Pro and all it's plugins work in Sony sort of supersizing Sony

BTW Hitfilm has a free Express version that works well for most and inexpensive packs if you need more.
    Rednecks call me a Tree Hugger and Tree Huggers call me a Redneck...I must be doing something right to piss everyone off.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 967
    Rep Power 536870972

I'm seeing GTX 1080’s in the $600 range and GTX 980's around $350 to $400. I'm leaning towards just spending the extra money and convincing myself it's piece of mind to have the "nice one". I read in the documentation that the 1080 goes to 11!

Toonman,
    The they in this scenario is me. Me and a couple of highly qualified(a.k.a. reliable but not actually qualified) friends. I'm literally putting it all together for at least 3 episodes/shows. Filming and all that comes with it, recording, all the editing for both audio and video… all of it. So when I said I had no business pitching the idea, it was an accurate statement.
    I actually think I can pull it off, but it’s going to be a fairly rudimentary effort.
    I’m picking up 3 or 4 Canon 70d’s … which I think can shoot in RAW, but the more I’m reading and planning, I just don’t see that it would be worth the effort. Like I said, this will be pretty rudimentary. But I’m never opposed to future proofing/planning if I can. Since the 1080 is only a couple hundred bucks more it seems like a prudent choice. Though, $200 in lighting would probably be a good choice too.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,132
    Rep Power 536871376

Black Magic just acquired Fairlight.

I think they are going after Avid since I've been hearing mixed reviews of Adobe but they first need to have people learning Resolve.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson