Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871029

Default Is having high quality analog buss compression worth a round trip through my fireface 800?

I'm seriously considering buying a high quality 2 channel compressor for 2 buss compression. I'm getting tired of the limitations of software compression and I'd also like to have them to use while tracking.

The issue is that I'm currently using a fireface 800 as my only AD/DA. I plan to buy some older benchmark AD/DA, but I feel the compression may be worth getting first.

I'd be grateful to hear some more experienced opinions this -would be worth using analog buss compression at the expense of a round trip through the fireface or should I wait and get the ADDA first? I know having a good DA will improve the quality of my monitoring, but I feel the higher quality buss compression (and compression for tracking) would have a more immediate impact on the quality of my work.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Default Re: Is having high quality analog buss compression worth a round trip through my fireface 800?

I don't mind the FF 800 conversion - I just didn't like the mic pres.
    Highway to Hell is for Children Allen Bean to the Moon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,338
    Rep Power 536871215

Default Re: Is having high quality analog buss compression worth a round trip through my fireface 800?

Make a test yourself -- just record a roundtrip and compare to the original. How much of a loss do YOU find?
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871029

Make a test yourself -- just record a roundtrip and compare to the original. How much of a loss do YOU find?

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

Stop being that obnoxiously sane.
    Highway to Hell is for Children Allen Bean to the Moon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,338
    Rep Power 536871215

Stop being that obnoxiously sane.

Name:  are you threatening me.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  96.1 KB
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871392

My first question might be : are you unhappy with your current stereo bus compression?

Have you tried Slate VBC?
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871029

My first question might be : are you unhappy with your current stereo bus compression?

Have you tried Slate VBC?
    I am currently using VBC as my buss compression. I'm happier with it than I have been with any other software compression, but I still feel it lacks a certain depth that I have gotten with analog compression the few times I used it in the past. Having compression for tracking is a huge plus as well, I often find myself wishing I had a good compressor to use on the way in for things like room mics and vocals
    From New Jersey...and admits it! Familiar with term 'Court appointed attorney'
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I would rather have a nice compressor for tracking than a buss compressor. Of course there's no downside to having a stereo unit that could be used for both, but ever since I started tracking with a good compressor going in I am less worried about using compression on the master buss.
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 924
    Rep Power 536870969

I've been thinking about a couple channels of hardware compression as well. But I'm more interested in using them on capture than as mix bus compressors. I'm pretty happy with my VBC into the VTM set up. That has focused my compressor search on something that's not geared towards the mix bus, but if it could be used there and it sounded good...bonus.

If I spent anything on my mix set up right now, it would be a hardware summer. And to that end, I've not even listened to the differences of what I'm doing now vs using a summer, so I'm a ways off from entertaining that move.

Here's whats on my radar for hardware compressors:
    I got to hear a Langevin DVC on a vocal and it was really really nice. He could just bury the signal and it was like the more he fed it the better it got. Like easily 8-10db of compression. I'm not sure that he was that aggressive in the end, I think it was for the sake of showing me what he liked about that unit. I believe it can be used as pre/eq/compressor or just compressor or linked for 2 channels of stereo compressor. It's not in expensive, but it's on my list. Seems like lots of quality in one purchase.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've seen some "bang for the buck" chatter about two FMR products. The RNC compressor and the RNLA leveling amp. They are single channel and I don't think they can be linked in any way. But they are pennies and seem to be well regarded. They have both 500 series units and stand alone options.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

I
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've seen some "bang for the buck" chatter about two FMR products. The RNC compressor and the RNLA leveling amp. They are single channel and I don't think they can be linked in any way. But they are pennies and seem to be well regarded. They have both 500 series units and stand alone options.
    I think the 500 series versions are single channel, but the original stand alone RNC and RNLA units are both stereo.
    President of local Trekkie club. Ambidextrous Onanist
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 924
    Rep Power 536870969

I think the 500 series versions are single channel, but the original stand alone RNC and RNLA units are both stereo.
    Sure enough. Both the RNC and RNLA stand alone units are stereo w/ a mono option. The 500 units are single channel w/ a stereo linking option.
    I think I'm going to have to try these out.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

Heh.... I count about 15 channels of (working) hardware compression in my racks, not counting the crappy dbx's that I sometimes use for speaker protection on punk shows and the old Valley People Dyna-Mite that I need to fix.

Currently there's an A-Designs "The Nail" on the 2-buss. Previously there was a Daking FET-3, but that's currently being used as a channel comp. I highly recommend the Daking as a great all-around compressor that won't break the bank.

You can never have too much hardware compression.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871029

I'm currently hunting for a used Daking FET III to use for tracking and buss comp. Figure I can check it out for myself and write it off on my taxes.

Did a test and recorded three files -internal bounce, through the converters and back in, and the same but through the line amps in my Daking mic pres. Didn't feel that the conversion was a very noticeable detriment (even on my HD600's), and the recording through the Dakings sounded very good.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

I would like to get a Daking FET III for mixbus, but I've been using an FET II for tracking lately and I really like it.

Does anyone have any opinions on how a second FET II would compare to an FET III for mixbus duties?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871392

I mix through them regularly.
    Theyre great. Probably a TINY bit better sounding than the fet3 but it's splitting hairs.

The all in one box with direct stereo linking is a plus of the 3, but the 2 gives you stepped controls.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

The variable HPF on the detector circuits is another plus of the fet iii.

To me, it's worth the round trip through the lynx aurora 16.

However, I haven't compared the fet iii to the latest high end plugins. It does give you 2 mono very nice compressors to use for tracking in dual mono mode which just adds to the already really good bang for the buck.

The one issue I had with using a h'ware comp on the 2 bus is that in Sonar it disables the ability to solo any sub groups (buses). But I've gotten used to using the "quick group" feature to group tracks together to solo (or for anything else).
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,542
    Rep Power 536871422

Reno, I have a pair of RNC1773s in a funk logic rack thingy that I havent used in a couple of years that I could sell ya cheap. PM me if you're interested.

Harvey Gerst used to tout a method of using a pair in series for 2 bus compression.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funk logic.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	13292
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

I mix through them regularly.
    Theyre great. Probably a TINY bit better sounding than the fet3 but it's splitting hairs.

The all in one box with direct stereo linking is a plus of the 3, but the 2 gives you stepped controls.
    Thank you for your input. So it seems you can't really go wrong with either option, but I do like the stepped controls on the 2, and for mixbus I could see that being a nice feature to have.

Plus, I'd probably have to sell the 2 to get a 3, and it would be easier to just add another 2 when the time comes that I'm able to do that.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871392

If you really care about recall accuracy, then you either need all stepped controls (with good notes or pictures) OR you need to set the compressor and never CHANGE IT, only varying the input to it via software.