Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

Default Re: Is having high quality analog buss compression worth a round trip through my fireface 800?

If you really care about recall accuracy, then you either need all stepped controls (with good notes or pictures) OR you need to set the compressor and never CHANGE IT, only varying the input to it via software.
    I've been doing both of the above, but out of laziness, not caring so much about accurate recall.

So I set parameters that seem to fit most material and I set the inputs and outputs to and from the unit itb. Have pictures for ball park if I want to change the settings.

But that's to save time. It isn't essential to have exact recall for the 2 bus compressor when I have it for virtually everything else.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549531

Default Re: Is having high quality analog buss compression worth a round trip through my fireface 800?

If you really care about recall accuracy, then you either need all stepped controls (with good notes or pictures) OR you need to set the compressor and never CHANGE IT, only varying the input to it via software.
    Ease of accurate recall is nice, but I also am concerned about ease of maintaining stereo imaging, which doesn't seem like it would be a problem, but I am just curious about something:

If you link two FET II's, is every control linked? The manual seems to imply so, because it doesn't state otherwise. For example, I have used compressors where the compression settings will be linked but the output gain is not. With the stepped controls I don't think that would matter much anyway in any practical sense, so this question is mostly out of curiosity.

I do also tend to "set and forget" the units I use, unless I have a blatant reason to do otherwise.
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Toronto, cananda
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

+1 for the faking fet 3. Recently got that and a stereo eq and made a big difference. Even with the eq disengaged, sounded a whole lot tighter. I found I had to work a lot harder without them.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

+1 for the faking fet 3.
    Geoff ain't faking

Whole lot of shakin' goin' on

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

Got the FET III in today. I put it in my rack and had a tracking session that I used it on right off the bat. First thing that I noticed was that for my usual gain staging (peaking at about -18 or so) it won't even compress, so I've had to use a little more gain from the mic pre to even get the needles moving at all on the comp. Interesting.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

What threshold settings were you using on the fet iii?

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

What threshold settings were you using on the fet iii?
    Lowest possible threshold
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Lowest possible threshold
    If you're setting the threshold based on what the input is telling you, that could be why. Had the same thing with mine, then just started hitting its input harder. Seems impossible to distort even when its pinned.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

I haven't used the fet iii for tracking, so far. The threshold knobs have detents at 0 which is is the 12:00 position.

Using it for the master bus I've been leaving it at about the 2:00 position.

Bear in mind that I might not know what I'm doing but:

After experimenting a bit I set the attacks to as fast as it goes. I expected that this would lop off transients and was surprised that it didn't. I think that's because of the knee, which I cannot see because the skirt is too long.

Right now I have the release set to "auto", the ratio to 3:1 and I get about -2dB on the meters during the loudest parts, which I figure to be more or less the RMS value. Any more GR than that and the meters never get back to 0 in 'auto release'.

I'm also using compression on subgroups and individual tracks, so I'm not asking the unit to do all the heavy lifting.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

I gotta say, I actually really like the auto mode on that thing! Spent some time messing with attack and release settings for different songs and always end up back to auto. After its set, I find I don't have to change anything when jumping from song to song, very helpful.

I'm sure you could get pretty close, if not bang on, with plugins alone, but I've definitely noticed a difference having the hardware (finally). If you can afford it, its an investment that won't need an update. In my case, they basically loaned me the gear to try before I decided to buy them. Worth a try to eliminate any doubt I suppose.
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

I actually ended up sending the first one I bought back, things were not right with it. Channel 2 was cutting out intermittently and very noisy, I also think that the wacky threshold thing was related to it's need for repair. Got another on the way, and it was way cheaper!
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549531

I actually ended up sending the first one I bought back, things were not right with it. Channel 2 was cutting out intermittently and very noisy, I also think that the wacky threshold thing was related to it's need for repair. Got another on the way, and it was way cheaper!
    Sorry you got a bad one, but good luck with the new one! I've had some functionality issues with Daking gear, which seems kind of weird to me, because it seems to be built so well. But apparently it can be slightly 'fickle' gear - from my own experience. Still worth it from a cost/quality perspective to me though.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

I had a problem with mine where I'd hear something wrong and I'd look over at the meters and one channel was suddenly giving about 4x the GR of the other.

I was going to send it to be repaired but it hasn't given me a problem in months.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Other than the knobs coming loose (which you need a tiny ass guage Allan key to tighten up again) no issues, except for recently.

Probably my own fault, but when rearranging my rack, I unplugged the PSU from the unit and when I went to plug it back in (while there was still power from the wall) I shorted out a fuse trying to line up that midi-like pin out plug. It was fixed in a day, no issues other than that. Just something to beware of when plugging it back in. Plug it to the unit first, then the wall. Thought I wrecked it
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,626
    Rep Power 536871428

I have mine hooked into a multi-outlet power center with rocker switches.

It's the only outboard gear I even know of that doesn't have an on/ off switch.

I think that's because a) there is basically no room for one on the front panel (and we don't want to give up those big VU meters ) and because I think there is more than one voltage coming from the power supply (?) so you'd probably have to have an additional circuit going between the unit and the power supply and a relay in the unit, or something along those lines.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

I had a problem with mine where I'd hear something wrong and I'd look over at the meters and one channel was suddenly giving about 4x the GR of the other.

I was going to send it to be repaired but it hasn't given me a problem in months.
    I just got my second (used) FET III, after the first bunk one, and it's giving me this problem you describe here, even when feeding it a mono signal. If it's in dual mono mode, they'll only be about a dB or so different, if it's in stereo link it'll be about 6dB. I've triple checked settings in and out of the computer, swapped cables, used different outputs from my interface. The problem goes away in bypass. Is this operator error on my part or is this one messed up too? I have a hard time believing that I've received two messed up units, but I know they're delicate (my mic pre IV was damaged twice during shipping, on its way to me and on its way back from repair in NV). Any wisdom or tips are very much appreciated.
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

Also, higher ratio settings yield more of a difference.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

I assume the cables are the same length coming in and out. Do you find the mono image shifts to one side or the other, or is it just the metering that's off?
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871032

I assume the cables are the same length coming in and out. Do you find the mono image shifts to one side or the other, or is it just the metering that's off?
    The cables are the same length and type, etc. I've also tried using one channel at a time with the same cables, output from the interface, etc. and recording it and have the same problem. GR metering on the compressor is off, and the levels coming back into the computer are different.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 722
    Rep Power 536871055

Sounds like something that should be covered under warranty. Very similar to what nobby was describing with his. Just out of curiosity, have you let the unit warm up a bit and try again? Just hope its not an issue found on all units